Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United/Liverpool team-Inspired by Motd2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yep. If the better defensive record means the back 4 is O'Shea Vidic Ferdinand and Evra, the surely the front 4 should be Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres and Riera, no?:)

don't do it ste.

The back 5 should for me include Reina, after that possibly arbeloa, I happen to love aurelio also but with fitness and pace concerns evra would have to be first choice,
    in the middle I reckon masch, stevia and alonso would be your best bet,
    with the forward 3 of ronaldo, torres and rooney,
    it would make mince **** of everyone though wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

K-9 wrote: »
    Like that, but Alonso instead of Carrick?

I dunno, I never got the Alonso hype really, sometimes he's fantastic, but I don't think he is consistent enough over an entire season. I always hold the fact that he is Spain's 4th choice midfielder against him iswell... :pac::pac:

mayordenis wrote: »
    our best bet,
    with the forward 3 of ronaldo, torres and rooney,
    it would make mince **** of everyone though wouldn't it?

Nah, Check it;

Buffon

--Alves
    Chiellini----Puyol---Abidal---

Sissoko

Xavi
    Iniesta

Messi
    Del Piero
    Henry---

Reckon that team would beat Utd/ Liverpools...

Edit, to be fair, a Barcelona/ United team would definitely be the best mixture of any two teams in world football over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

a thought just occured to me!

who do we get to manage?! Rafa or Fergie!!!!

only kidding ;)
    rafa obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

eZe^ wrote: »
    I dunno, I never got the Alonso hype really, sometimes he's fantastic, but I don't think he is consistent enough over an entire season. I always hold the fact that he is Spain's 4th choice midfielder against him iswell... :pac::pac:

I'd agree to an extent, but is Carrick better?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

but I don't think he is consistent enough over an entire season. I always hold the fact that he is Spain's 4th choice midfielder against him iswell... :pac::pac:

Alonso has been consistantly brilliant all year with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games.

Trust me on this, if Alonso was to move back to spain, you'd cream you kacks over him. really has been brilliant this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

You are also going to end the season trophyless, in comparison to Utd who already have 3... So it's pointless really...

I'd go with;

Reina

---O'Shea
    Vidic
    Rio
    Evra

Mascherano

Carrick
    Gerrard

----Ronaldo
    Torres
    Rooney----

Tasty team, nicely balanced, Gerrard's goals/ leadership/ driver would make up for the fact that he doesn't really have the best dominance or reading of the game like the Pirlo's of the world...

That would be my team aswell, although I'm not a huge fan of Reina.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Alonso has been consistantly brilliant all year with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games.

Trust me on this, if Alonso was to move back to spain, you'd cream you kacks over him. really has been brilliant this year.

Nah, already got two vastly superior midfield midgets in Iniesta and Xavi over on my end Alan. Sorry... ;) Busquets will eventually replace Alonso in the national team too, just you wait, give him 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

a thought just occured to me!

who do we get to manage?! Rafa or Fergie!!!!

only kidding ;)
    rafa obviously

Des.

Even Des couldnt **** this team up :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Reina

O Shea
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Alonso
    Masch

Ronaldo
    Rooney

Gerard

Torres

5 Liverpool, 6 man u

What a dream team it is guys.

Keepers really tough one for me but Pepe just shades it.
    Arbeloa and o shea another very tough one but i reckon O Shea just shades it fractionally.
    I had to put Rooney on the left because he can do the job better than most as can Gerrard so id have no problem swapping Rooney with Gerrard ,both are simply majestic players so good infact that id have no problem playing either out of position.

Next year as a pool fan id like to see young Insua challenge for left full,Agger or Skyrtel for Ferdinands spot [cant see Vidic being shifted],the rest i feel are untouchable.
    Carrick isnt far off my first 11 but you couldnt leave out Alonso or Mascher the smasher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Rafael rarely put a foot wrong either, had he been in the side more i might've chosen him.
    Whoa whoa whoa - plenty of feet put wrong if you ask me. And I think if he'd been in the side more, you'd have seen that. He was awful against City last week and has been allowed to look good on occasions because he's been played against mediocre teams at home when he doesn't get tested defensively. And while it's all very well scoring against Arsenal when you're playing as an extra right winger, he's not a very good right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

look it was just a thing that's on match of the day not meant to be a slight on the other 8 teams in the league - seriously nothing meant here by this.
    get onto the bbc if you have beef.
    I'm only joking too, I was gonna say not another Liverpool thread and not another Man United thread. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Cesar

---Maicon
    Chivu
    Samuel
    Janko----

Cambiasso

Stankovic
    Pirlo

Kaka

Pato
    Ibrahimovic

surely you can get ronaldhino in there! him and ibra are unstoppable together in pro evo 6 :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm only joking too, I was gonna say not another Liverpool thread and not another Man United thread. :pac:

FU!

Jazzy wrote: »
    surely you can get ronaldhino in there! him and ibra are unstoppable together in pro evo 6 :pac:

hey if we're talking pro evo 6 then adriano is the main player in that team, scoring from everywhere, with obafemi alongside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone want to be brave enough to try an all-time United/Liverpool XI? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

hey if we're talking pro evo 6 then adriano is the main player in that team, scoring from everywhere, with obafemi alongside.

Oh god I HATED having to defend against Adriano in that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Sure...

Casillas

----Alves
    Pique
    Puyol
    Ramos--

Toure

Iniesta
    Xavi

Messi
    Henry
    Higuain----

Cesar

---Maicon
    Chivu
    Samuel
    Janko----

Cambiasso

Stankovic
    Pirlo

Kaka

Pato
    Ibrahimovic

No eto?

No eto?

Me and Eto'o aren't on speaking terms at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

........................Best............................

Best......Best..........Best...........Best.......

Best......Best.........Best...........Best....

..........Best..................Best...........

How 's that:pac:

• Advertisement

Unless we had someone who is about 130 years old I'd ignore their opinion on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Schmeicel

Not sure
    Hanson
    Lawrenson
    Irwin

Keane (C)
    Souness

Barnes
    Giggs

Dalglish
    Best

Literally first ideas that popped into my head. You could pick any of like 5 guys for right back and be happy with it.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Unless we had someone who is about 130 years old I'd ignore their opinion on that

Meh, pre world war two players aren't ever going to be in the conversation for reasons that should be obvious. You could probably push the cut off date back further. I can elaborate on that if you'd like.

Nah. Just my opinion you can't really judge players on what you have heard from other peoples perspectives, and a few clips you see from here and there. Obviously we know the likes of Souness etc were great players, but don't have a decent enough knowledge to be able to say he was better/worse than someone like Keane.

We all have our own unique opinions as it is, look at current world 11 teams, team of the seasons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    . I can elaborate on that if you'd like.

Sure go on so. It's not like we've got anywhere better to be.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

72 posts in and not one claim for Ryan Giggs to be included. (he is player of the year afterall ;))

I'd probably go with this (as posted already earlier):

========Reina========
    Brown=Vidic==Rio===Evra
    ====Alonso=Masch======
    Ronaldo==Gerrard==Rooney
    ========Torres========

Maybe put Aurellio left back because I think Evra is really overated and the 2 centre halves cover up his inadequcies (spl?)

In an ideal team, I'd put:

Gerrard==Rooney==Ronaldo
    ========Torres========

but I couldn't see Gerrard been happy to play out there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    ........................Best............................

Best......Best..........Best...........Best.......

Best......Best.........Best...........Best....

..........Best..................Best...........

How 's that:pac:

I know who one of them lads is but who is the other 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa - plenty of feet put wrong if you ask me. And I think if he'd been in the side more, you'd have seen that. He was awful against City last week and has been allowed to look good on occasions because he's been played against mediocre teams at home when he doesn't get tested defensively. And while it's all very well scoring against Arsenal when you're playing as an extra right winger, he's not a very good right back.

hate posting on my mobile so ill address your bad mistake tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Schmeicel

Not sure
    Hanson
    Lawrenson
    Irwin

Keane (C)
    Souness

Barnes
    Giggs

Dalglish
    Best

Literally first ideas that popped into my head. You could pick any of like 5 guys for right back and be happy with it.

hmm, maybe Cantona/Law/Rush instead of Dalglish and as much as it pains me to say it, you should have Gerrard there somewhere. Never really rated Barnes that much and I think Bobby Charlton should be incorporated somehow. God this is mind boggling :confused:

Keane (C)
    Souness

hardest midfield ever tbh!
    _Roy_Keane_309855h.jpg

Graeme_Souness.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Schmeicel

Not sure
    Hanson
    Lawrenson
    Irwin

Keane (C)
    Souness

Barnes
    Giggs

Dalglish
    Best

Rob Jones for right back :pac:

Liam O wrote: »
    hmm, maybe Cantona/Law/Rush instead of Dalglish and as much as it pains me to say it, you should have Gerrard there somewhere. Never really rated Barnes that much and I think Bobby Charlton should be incorporated somehow. God this is mind boggling :confused:

Liamo, i think you are underestimating just how good Dalglish was.

Currently, He is undoubtadly the greateset player ever to play for Liverpool. His name is still sung in Anfield to this day & and watch the fanfare when he is welcomed back to the backroom staff during the summer to get an idea of how good a player he is. Him scoring midweek in the charity match in Anfield left grown men in tears.

He has to be in there. No doubt about it.

in fairness, Evras form this year hasn't been the best. I'd still have him ahead of Aurelio who unfortunately permanently seems to be struggling with injuries though as when Evra is on top of his game, he is the best around imo. just hasnt happened a lot this year.

- Cantona gets nowhere near this team if you think about it!
    - Rush was clinical, smart and direct, but you have players who can score bundles of goals and are more complete players
    - Ditto for Law

Not rating Barnes is a bit, well, what? He was poor for the latter part of his career in the premiership. But the last years of the old Division One, magic. Charlton was boss (as were many more midfielders we'd be omitting), but Souness and Keane were just so ****ing dominant.

Being honest, this hypothetical / nothing can ever be proven discussion would be a helluva lot more entertaining than the original question posed in the OP,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rushie has to be in there.

Different game, generation etc etc. but he has to be in there.

PS: He's no Nando but Nando is no Rushie!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

- Cantona gets nowhere near this team if you think about it!
    - Rush was clinical, smart and direct, but you have players who can score bundles of goals and are more complete players
    - Ditto for Law

Not rating Barnes is a bit, well, what? He was poor for the latter part of his career in the premiership. But the last years of the old Division One, magic. Charlton was boss (as were many more midfielders we'd be omitting), but Souness and Keane were just so ****ing dominant.

Being honest, this hypothetical / nothing can ever be proven discussion would be a helluva lot more entertaining than the original question posed in the OP,.
    You need a creative player in the center beside one of Keane and Souness imo. playing with both of them would hinder the attack which is why I think Gerrard or Charlton should be there. My bias makes me want to pick Keane and Charlton :)

Point taken about Kenny

blame MOTD2! not me!

Point taken about Kenny

there's hope for you yet! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Schmecial
    ?? Bruce Hyypia Irwin
    Keane
    Ronaldo Scholes giggs
    Owen

I tried doing it from my era, bloody difficult. I dont know if I like Owen in their actually, not sure if Torres has been here long enough yet.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Rushie has to be in there.

Different game, generation etc etc. but he has to be in there.

PS: He's no Nando but Nando is no Rushie!

but you could say in the same way Rush has to be in there so does a bunch of others like Law/Charlton/Scholes heck even Ronaldo. You can insert the name of the countless Liverpool players who should in there, fact is that we are never going to condense all the great players from both clubs into a starting 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Graeme_Souness.jpg

Good god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

but you could say in the same way Rush has to be in there so does a bunch of others like Law/Charlton/Scholes heck even Ronaldo. You can insert the name of the countless Liverpool players who should in there, fact is that we are never going to condense all the great players from both clubs into a starting 11.

well yeah thats the point, its going to be a debate and people having their own opinions. Someone posts what they think the team would be and you discuss who you would put in instead. Of course you can't condense it down in reality.

_Roy_Keane_309855h.jpg

Graeme_Souness.jpg
    A7X wrote: »
    Good god

Creative geniuses or not, that pairing would just skull**** all opponents so hard. What a platform it would set up for the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Creative geniuses or not, that pairing would just skull**** all opponents so hard. What a platform it would set up for the rest of the team.

I was more so commenting on his mop and fanny tickler.

A7X wrote: »
    I was more so commenting on his mop and fanny tickler.

both of which id take over berbatovs gloves

• Advertisement

yes adriano was cheating, but with ibra there was a 'score every time trick' where u have him positioned as a second striker and play certain through balls. because his balance was 97 and he was powerful too you could get round the last CB (any of them) every time as he had dribble and tactical dribble starred. he was well broken, but only on the PS2 version. u could keep the ball all day with him. and yes, yes i am a pro evo nerd :p

more on topic... all time utd/pool mix?

Schmeicel

Neville
    Hanson
    Bruce
    Irwin

Keane (C)
    Scholes

Keegan
    Dalglish
    Best

Rush

ooohhhhh 7 - 4 to utd there.
    i dunno, the shape just feels right to me though.

and i loathe having to put the rat faced man there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Came on here looking for a thread like this. Thought the MOTD2 team was a bit hastily put together perhaps.
    Reina*

-Arbeloa/Rafael**--Vidic-Ferdinand-Evra

Alonso***-Mascherano

--Ronaldo-Gerrard--Rooney

Torres

*Think Reina's self explanatory enough, at the moment I think he's simply a better keeper than VDS, who has been protected very well by Utd's impeccable defense.
    **I just couldn't bear the thought of John O'Shea being a right back in any best of team, either of these instead.
    ***Torn between Carrick and Alonso, but on this season's form (during which IMO Alonso has been Liverpool's best player), he pipped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Graeme_Souness.jpg

Great pair of legs in fairness.

zuchum wrote: »
    *Think Reina's self explanatory enough, at the moment I think he's simply a better keeper than VDS, who has been protected very well by Utd's impeccable defense.
    **I just couldn't bear the thought of John O'Shea being a right back in any best of team, either of these instead..

bit of a contradiction there. Fact is, O'Shea has been fantastic in the second half of the season and was amazingly good against Inter over both the legs. It looks like he'll start the CL final on merit and considering with everyone fit he wouldn't have got near the team in the 1st half of the season that's a huge accomplishment and IMO it's time he starts getting the recognition he deserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Reina
    O'Shea
    Srktel
    Vidic
    Evra
    Alonso
    Masch
    Rooney
    Gerrard
    Ladyboy
    Torres