Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United/Liverpool team-Inspired by Motd2

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

As a neutral who despises both teams:

Reina

Carragher, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
    Fletcher, Mascherano
    Rooney, Gerrard, Ronaldo
    Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Warper wrote: »
    As a neutral who despises both teams:

Reina

Carragher, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
    Fletcher, Mascherano
    Rooney, Gerrard, Ronaldo
    Torres
    Carragher and Fletcher? Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Highsider wrote: »
    Carragher and Fletcher? Goodnight

Carragher is the only Liverpool defender that Rafa doesnt rotate and imo is better than O'Shea.

Fletcher has come on leaps and bounds this year and is still improving - he was pivotal to Utd. keeping all their clean sheets this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

=====Renia=====

O Shea Vidic Skrtel Evra

Mascherano Alonso

Ronaldo Gerrard Kuyt

Torres

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Reina
    Arbeloa -- Rio -- Vidic -- Evra

Alonso -- Masch
    Ronaldo -- Gerrard -- Rooney

Torres
    Arbeloa vs O'Shea is the only questionable one. Give the nod to Arbeloa has he is a natural RB and has been a main stay in the starting XI since he joined.
    Rafael who I rate highly in the attacking sense(yes he kept Robinho quiet but anybody who has ever seen Robinho in a Big Game knows he never shows up) hasn't played enough games.
    Kuyt at RB? :p

Oh... perhaps if being fussy Gerrard could play RW, Rooney in the middle and Ronaldo at LW, might get the best out of all of them? Personally, think they would interchange quite a bit so it doesn't matter where they play. But anyway just throwing that out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i dont see kuyt in any team.Has he not got more league goals than Rooney and both are now playing as wide men?

Reina
    Arbeloa Vidic Rio Evra

Masch
    Kuyt Ronaldo
    Gerrard

Rooney Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

raven136 wrote: »
    i dont see kuyt in any team.Has he not got more league goals than Rooney and both are now playing as wide men?

Nope. They're both exactly level but Rooney's played less games:

Dirk Kuyt - 37 games, 12 goals, 7 assists.

Wayne Rooney - 30 games, 12 goals, 7 assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Comparing Rooney to Kuyt, LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Smegball wrote: »
    Comparing Rooney to Kuyt, LOL

Why not? They both offered the exact same this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Most people seem to agree that only Torres and Gerrard would be sure of getting in the United team. I can't argue with that. The tricky one is Alonso or Carrick. I like Alonso as a player, would have him in my team any time, but Carrick has been something of an unsung hero for United this season. Rarely gets much in the way of plaudits but he's been consistently good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

super-rush wrote: »
    Why not? They both offered the exact same this season.
    Rooney is the better player and has been the better player this season. Kuyt is also a fantastic player. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Highsider wrote: »
    Rooney is the better player and has been the better player this season. Kuyt is also a fantastic player. IMO

Rooney has the better touches and ability, Kuyts touch lets him down occasionally.One thing i will say is both men could give lessons to alot of pros when it comes down to work rate and energy, massive parts of their games and both essential to their teams performances because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Most people seem to agree that only Torres and Gerrard would be sure of getting in the United team. I can't argue with that. The tricky one is Alonso or Carrick. I like Alonso as a player, would have him in my team any time, but Carrick has been something of an unsung hero for United this season. Rarely gets much in the way of plaudits but he's been consistently good.

He hasn't really to be fair. He had a wonderful patch around the same time as the clean sheet run but has been dire at times early in the season and towards the end. The thing with Carrick is he's never going to be a great tackler or a consistent scorer (though the goal against Wigan was fantastic) so he relies on his passing game to keep him in the team. If his passing is off in a match there's little he can do to make up for it in other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think Carrick has been as bad as all that - he did have some absolutely terrible games during our dodgy period but overall he's had a good season.

Fletcher, however, has been our best midfielder all year - an absolute powerhouse all season.

I have to strongly question the knowledge of those people who scoffed at his possible inclusion in a hybrid side, because he's been one of the outstanding players, if not the outstanding player, for the team that won the league.

If he were to slot in there it would be ahead of Mascherano and tbh I wouldn't have a problem with making such a call.

Mascherano is a great destructive midfielder, but there are very few players at the top level who are so one-dimensional. Makelele is the only other player I can think of that I've ever seen play at that level and be purely destructive and nothing else.

Anyone who has watched a lot of United games this season should be able to point out that Fletcher has done an awful lot of destructive, defensive work this year and done it brilliantly. However the difference in waht he would add to the team when you actually have the ball compared to Mascherano is massive.

I think a sitting midfield pairing of Fletcher and Alonso is about the best based on this season's form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Benayoun---

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

slingerz wrote: »

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Benayoun---

Torres

-

And what's your A Team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

hargreaves?couple of games?think he only played 1 game in prem league this season.he shouldnt even be mentioned at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

dfx- wrote: »
    Especially in front of Mascherano, Carrick or Anderson. :eek:

Masch or Carrick is understandable.

I really cannot get my head around some folk genuinely thinking that Anderson should be included in that company. Fletcher should be well ahead of him for a start!

I nearly choked when I saw Hargreaves name mentioned..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

anplaya wrote: »
    hargreaves?couple of games?think he only played 1 game in prem league this season.he shouldnt even be mentioned at all.

Why not? I read it as the team you would select made up of both squads. Not who had the best season in each position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Why not? I read it as the team you would select made up of both squads. Not who had the best season in each position.

Well I read it that it was to make the BEST combined team.

A player who's hardly featured all season would hardly make it in imo........

If you didn't select the player who you thought played the best in that position, that would surely defeat the purpose, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

ShooterSF wrote: »

nope its a hybrid of a team made up of man u and lpool players from this year.how any1 can even think of mentioning hargreaves name is unreal,hes not even in the equation.maybe if himself and his dodgy knees play more than one game next year,and he performs well,you can include him in next years hybrid team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if anderson is even being taught about then so should jucas coz they are at the same level imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

redzerdrog wrote: »
    if anderson is even being taught about then so should jucas coz they are at the same level imo

just LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, they have been at the same level all season.

not last season, but this season, most definately. In fact Lucas has been vital to some of Liverpools best performances this year.

kida wrote: »
    just LOL

whats so lol neither of them have set the world on fire, both have had the odd few good games but nothing spectacular about either of then to be honest.

I,d prefer to have spent 6 million than the 17 million tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Benayoun---

Torres

yeah, couldn't imagine that team finishing a season without a trophy

Boggles wrote: »
    -

And what's your A Team?

Van Der Saar

Brown
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Fletcher

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Tevez

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, they have been at the same level all season.

not last season, but this season, most definately. In fact Lucas has been vital to some of Liverpools best performances this year.

Agreed, but neither player has gotten anywhere near their potential at this point, crazy to be including them in a combined BEST team when neither is in their respective clubs best team.

Both have made great contributions to their clubs season but at other times have been less than impressive if not a hinderance.

I think it's very hard to make a judgement on a central midfield player at that age for a big team, it is easily the hardest position to play at that level and experience is as vital to achieve good performances as ability is.

What we can probably agree is that Brazil look to have a very formidable midfield coming up in the next few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

redzerdrog wrote: »
    whats so lol neither of them have set the world on fire, both have had the odd few good games but nothing spectacular about either of then to be honest.

I,d prefer to have spent 6 million than the 17 million tbh.

have you seen Anderson in the 2 Arsenal games recently?

• Advertisement

does 2 games make him a superstar?

Ya i did and he wasnt outstanding despite the fact that Arsenal were '11 babies' according to Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Ya i did and he wasnt outstanding despite the fact that Arsenal were '11 babies' according to Evra.

I think it's fair to say that people picking up on the Evra 'babies' comment are thinking about as openly mindedly as the people who were going on about Benitez and his H in the word fact. These people are speaking English as a second language and will sometimes be misinterpreted.

You should have seen me trying to order a sandwich at the Eiffel tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anderson was poor at the start of the season, very good imo since he's come back from injury.
    Lucas has been solid for the entire season.

I guess if you add Anderson's together and divide by two you'd get solid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

got a bit of a chuckle on MOTD2 when the lads on the couch reckoned Liverpool would only have 2/3 players in Utds first 11 if they could choose.

Opted for this formation as its the one both teams use & its the formation that most suits Gerrard, who is obviously too good to leave out imo.

Personally I'd go with....

========Reina========
    Arbeloa=Vidic==Rio===Evra
    ====Alonso=Masch======
    Ronaldo==Gerrard==Rooney
    ========Torres========

Wat do people reckon?

Think Rooney out of position is a nescessity, i think the lack of a genuine world class player on the left means he'd have to be there & i think he can be excellent out there.

It could also morph into 4-4-2, with Gerrard on the right & Ronaldo on the left.

(note;if people wanna piss & moan about usual Liverpool/Utd crap, just don't post in the thread, its something that should be able to be discussed without descending into ****e troll attempts or arguments)

I was actually thinking about this the other day (didn't see it on MOTD2) and I think I would play exactly the same team. Maybe someone in for Arby but there's no obvious candidates.

Actim Index stats team of the season

Reina
    Carragher--Vidic---Terry-Lescott

Barry-Lampard
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Anelka

they had it in a 4-4-2 with Vidic at RB & Kuyt up front but **** that-this way would be better.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/TeamOfTheSeason/0,,12306,00.html

• Advertisement

Reina

Barry-Lampard
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Anelka

they had it in a 4-4-2 with Vidic at RB & Kuyt up front but **** that-this way would be better.

Thats 5 Liverpool players in there. 6 seeing as Everton is also on Merseyside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Reina

Barry-Lampard
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Anelka

Sorry red-tinted classes or not ,any season combined team without Rooney is a bit of a Joke IMO.

Wasn't my team, it was the one generated from the top players in that Actim Index yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wasn't my team, it was the one generated from the top players in that Actim Index yoke.

The same index that has Berbatov as the fourth best player this season. Awesome index!

one & the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement