Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismayed by the quality of the candidates

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

So what are the candidates like in your local electoral area? I've been looking at ours and tbh I'm not that impressed with what I see. The incumbents (FG controlled council btw) in my opinion, created the overdevelopment of the small village where I'm from, its been distroyed with unsold and half finished houses. Also what are the issues that you are bringing to the attention of the canvassers?

I know, if I have such a problem with the candidates I should run myself but to be a councillor is not my life calling. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

Our Fianna Fail candidate was photographed snorting cocaine from a CD cover,though I don't have a problem with this as such but I am looking forward to seeing what he has to say about people in prison for non-violent drug offenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I'd have issues with someone dumb enough to snort coke and get photographed doing it. And then run for office!

Who was it and can you say without getting boards ass sued?

mike65 wrote: »
    I think I'd have issues with someone dumb enough to snort coke and get photographed doing it. And then run for office!

Who was it and can you say without getting boards ass sued?

:D

No fear of getting sued as it was front page headlines,apparently it was some plot to blackmail him and he claimed he was an alcoholic and was shipped off for treatment and now hes all better,bless ;)

The man in question is Cllr.Liam Kelly Fianna Fail.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councillor-resigns-after-row-over-alleged-cocaine-snorting-77480.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol it is crazy that he is still allowed to be a member of the party when he is breaking the laws his party sets and going against party policy on drugs by taking illegal drugs that they want to keep illegal and supporting illegal drug dealers by buying their products.

Is it really as bad as it sounds? Because it sounds pretty bloody damning to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I had Green Councillor Terence Corish at my door a few days ago giving the most inept display of attempted vote getting I've seen in a long time. The man is an idiot, thrown by the slightest distraction, barely able to string a coherent sentence together and, as he was wearing a shiny tracksuit and a satchel, when he walked by my front window I was expecting the latest dominos meal deal offers to be stuffed in my letterbox

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    lol it is crazy that he is still allowed to be a member of the party when he is breaking the laws his party sets and going against party policy on drugs by taking illegal drugs that they want to keep illegal and supporting illegal drug dealers by buying their products.

Is it really as bad as it sounds? Because it sounds pretty bloody damning to me.

Whoever said Irish politics was straight forward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

j1smithy wrote: »
    So what are the candidates like in your local electoral area? I've been looking at ours and tbh I'm not that impressed with what I see. The incumbents (FG controlled council btw) in my opinion, created the overdevelopment of the small village where I'm from, its been distroyed with unsold and half finished houses. Also what are the issues that you are bringing to the attention of the canvassers?

I'll see your unimpressive council and raise you seven of our councillors :pac:
    Highlighted on a Primetime Investigates program on irregular planning by county councils.
    I'm not going to post they were corrupt but there was something strange going on and questions were not answered.....hmmmmm
    Three different parties too!

We're posting links so here is a link to the show.
    Be kind folks and don't knock the site design, it was just a project (not by me)

Check out the Co. Council buildings, they're class! and cost a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah well when you have a system that allows (and basically supports) corruption, you can't really complain when all the parties in the system are corrupt.

The checks and balances aren't in place obviously so we need reform. Not major reform but transparency would probably be a better word on how each party and politician is funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I am afraid that our current system does not do much to atract high calibre councillors.....and any who are good have their sights on moving up as soon as possible to National level

Advertisement