Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you understand what this icon indicates?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

Do you understand the :rolleyes: icon 84 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    78% 66 votes
    possibly
    2% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    19% 16 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Generally, an utter paucity of rebuttal powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Yes, it means "I disagree with your opinion but am too stupid/ignorant to express my reasons in a clear and articulite manner which would be classed as actual discussion"

/waits for someone to quote the above and reply with that fecking smiley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

yes

it means that i agree with every word of your point and that I could not have put it better myself.

oh and that i admire yore intelligence in expressing the before mentioned point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

stovelid wrote: »
    Generally, an utter paucity of rebuttal powers.

I disagree. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I disagree. :rolleyes:

I would have thought the rolleyes better complements a sarcastic I agree, myself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

orestes wrote: »
    Yes, it means "I disagree with your opinion but am too stupid/ignorant to express my reasons in a clear and articulite manner which would be classed as actual discussion"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mike65 wrote: »
    Mike, after forty three thousand posts, you'd think you'd have found the newbies/faq forum by now :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I was wrong but I'm inserting this smilie to show I am now pretending to be intellectual but you missed it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I usually use it in response to somebody who is being deliberately awkward in an argument, but it's also useful for those occasional sarcastic posts that aren't serious at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Nerin wrote: »

Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

For me it means that someone has said something so god-awfully stupid that only the head of a little man, so disgusted with the comment referenced that he is using his last scraps of energy to roll his eyes while he slowly asphyxiates, will fully express for me the utter contempt I feel for the post in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sigh

Exactly. That's what that symbol means, it's an exasperated sigh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

About 3 people on the site know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

A really smug man getting choked ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

*Puts on clever hat* in that case what it actually means is irrelivant, and what people think it means is much more valuable to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mike, I assume you're aware that the rolleyes smiley looks very different on some of the skins?

A lot of skins use this guy: rolleyes.gif - who you'll agree looks like quite a happy little fella.

However, Cloud skin uses this guy: rolleyes.gif - who comes across a lot more sarcastic.

So you should probably not interpret the smiley unless you're aware which skin the poster is on. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is it like, ten thousand spoons, when all I need is a knife?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It means your parents are cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite. Its been bugging me the way its wrongly used and likely to cause needless offense (its not like we don't already have enough of that!).
    seamus wrote: »
    Mike, I assume you're aware that the rolleyes smiley looks very different on some of the skins?

A lot of skins use this guy: rolleyes.gif - who you'll agree looks like quite a happy little fella.

However, Cloud skin uses this guy: rolleyes.gif - who comes across a lot more sarcastic.

So you should probably not interpret the smiley unless you're aware which skin the poster is on. :rolleyes:

That interesting and quite mad Ted, if different skins show icons in different forms then how can we possibly understand each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That interesting and quite mad Ted, if different skins show icons in different forms then how can we possibly understand each other?

What's worse is a list of smileys at the end of a post, except, they don't really make sense.

:pac::D:mad::o:cool::eek::pac::P;)

Like that, wtf am I trying to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

More often than not yes. But it can also mean "Your post is too stupid/ignorant to reply to in a clear and articulate manner so I'm not going to bother"

It's also used to delineate sentences on the conspiracy theories forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

javaboy wrote: »
    It's also used to delineate sentences on the conspiracy theories forum.

True.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Stark wrote: »
    It means your parents are cousins.

This completely answers the question.
    I <3 Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I am begining to understand why you have such a large post count.

and? Its been bugging me and I thought I'd find out how many peeps understand what the rolleyes icon actually indicates. Now if that bugs you, you could just
    as if I would say that!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Actually, do you not think it's a virtual recreation of the instability of language itself (pour example, bold meaning bad in Ireland but brave in America)?

We all get by on a bizarre kinda consensus meaning for the most part, if you think about it. Another example being I'm told never to use "problem" to americans either (apparently, a "small problem" does not exist in some parts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

in America, your fanny is your arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It's a smirk not a rolleyes.

• Advertisement

:smirk:

Nope doesn't work

Advertisement