Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Idea for a tournament - Antes Up!

• 18-05-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

As many of you know, the Sporting Emporium have launched a new tournament schedule geared towards what the players want. They've added guarantees, tweaked the clock, gave more chips and added early bird chips.

They have an opening in the schedule the odd Tuesday and are looking for exciting games to fill the gap. Tuesday coming sees the Round of Each return and there's an idea in place for an Antes Up tournie the following week.

What this will involve is a tournament where the blinds never change, but the antes go up every level.

e.g you start with 7k chips and the blinds never changed from 25/50. Instead, each player posts a 25 ante in level 1, a 50 ante in level 2, a 75 ante in level 3 and so on.

Its a game i've been playing on pokerstars recently and it adds a whole new dynamic to the game. It forces players to adjust their betting and play more hands and makes for an exciting new game.

I've just added a quick poll to see if anyone would be interested should the SE go with this game. There's no buyin amount, chip stacks or blind levels set in stone. At the moment its just out there to see if there's enough interest to run. I'd be up for it anyway, so thats 1 on the list!!

How does the Antes Up tournament sound to you? 22 votes

Sounds good. I'd defo be up for this and would play
    0%
    Meh..wont work, not interested
    100%
    ElectraBluecarfaxFour of a kindJesus WeptFlushdrawaceofspades.ieMacspowertylerdurden94Pablohbabymaker6jimmiiConbrorobinblindsbigbadpatJamieCarraSamoa JoeBRUCEPOKER.COMNuckChorris1Tough Johnnson!afex 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

cool idea. should go down well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

would there be tons of chips though? all denominations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I could see this being popular for a few weeks then completely falling apart.Worth a go, wouldn't really interest me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

CHD wrote: »
    I could see this being popular for a few weeks then completely falling apart.

The idea isnt to make it a regular game. Tuesday nights is satellite night in the Sporting. When there's no satellites on, they try to fill it with something different..e.g round of each, 3 card Irish etc.

This wont be a regular game, just a one of off and something to look at should another gap in the schedule come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭S.Emporium

Even though I have just posted the Thread regarding Tuesdays in May and June, if this Tournament is popular enough then we'll squeeze it in somewhere.

Thanks to Tony for putting the poll up.

Alex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭babymaker6

i will play it for a bit of fun
    although im looking forward to a regular r-of-e game
    to be honest tony i would not like to see that replaced by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's probably pointless having blinds at all, 25-50 blinds when the ante is 500 or 1k, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Maddogg

worth a go for something different! i haven't been on the SE in a long while and it would probably drag me in......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭cardrooms

Not a bad idea at all but its something I wouldn't play only because I prefer to grind it out so that I can decrease the luck factor. Pokers a hard game when your not a lucky person.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Tough Johnnson!

will play this if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's probably pointless having blinds at all, 25-50 blinds when the ante is 500 or 1k, etc.

Should be fun !!
    Will try and play this if it goes ahead.
    I agree it - Why bother with blinds at all.
    Suggest 30 min levels & start with the 100 chip, then 200, 300 etc.

cardrooms wrote: »
    Not a bad idea at all but its something I wouldn't play only because I prefer to grind it out so that I can decrease the luck factor. Pokers a hard game when your not a lucky person.:(

What makes you think this increases the luck factor? You can grind in this game aswel, but it makes you move a little quicker due to the antes.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    bigbadpat wrote: »
    Should be fun !!
    Will try and play this if it goes ahead.
    I agree it - Why bother with blinds at all.
    Suggest 30 min levels & start with the 100 chip, then 200, 300 etc.

Blinds are 100% necessary. You need to have a button and a point of action. You need to have a bet "to match" in order to play a hand. With blinds at 25/25 or 25/50, and antes 150....you get a chance to limp for 50 and get massive implied odds. Alternatively there's all sorts of raises you can try, to see what works. Its a good feeling when a raise of 400 pf takes down a 1200 pot. There has to be blinds or else this game is a non-starter.

AFAIK, It will be there first time this game has been played live so we're not sure how it will play, the same way the SE weren't sure how the 3 card Irish would play. Its a trial and error and something to spice up Tuesdays.

So far 15 yes votes and 6 no's. A lot of the yes votes are regulars in the SE so you'd be gtd a few for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭cardrooms

I think it increases the luck factor for me because I would be forced to play quicker than I normally would. This is just based on my own style of play. I can't see how you could grind when you have to put in a chips every time from the start.

The reason this increases luck is because you will be forced to make plays much sooner and so I would predict more all-ins early and probably with weaker hands because the pot odds will be better.

I'm not trying to knock it here by the way, just saying that it wouldn't suit my tight style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Seems Tony will do anything to have a game chuck full of 50 and 100 demonination chips:D:pac:

Seems Tony will do anything to have a game chuck full of 50 and 100 demonination chips:D:pac:

Damn you Morse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Flushdraw wrote: »
    What makes you think this increases the luck factor? You can grind in this game aswel, but it makes you move a little quicker due to the antes.

Blinds are 100% necessary. You need to have a button and a point of action. You need to have a bet "to match" in order to play a hand. With blinds at 25/25 or 25/50, and antes 150....you get a chance to limp for 50 and get massive implied odds. Alternatively there's all sorts of raises you can try, to see what works. Its a good feeling when a raise of 400 pf takes down a 1200 pot. There has to be blinds or else this game is a non-starter.

AFAIK, It will be there first time this game has been played live so we're not sure how it will play, the same way the SE weren't sure how the 3 card Irish would play. Its a trial and error and something to spice up Tuesdays.

So far 15 yes votes and 6 no's. A lot of the yes votes are regulars in the SE so you'd be gtd a few for starters

Yea I realised this since my post! Sounds like a fun game. :)

Advertisement