Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn AJAX or jquery?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Finished exams soon enough and I'll have the summer to learn a few more skills.

So far I have a firm understanding of HTML,CSS,PHP and MySQL. I also understand a bit of javascript, syntax etc but I have trouble integrating it with pages using the DOM.

I'm wondering what I should learn next. AJAX or jQuery? I can see an instant need for AJAX as I would consider myself more of a developer than a designer.

Do I need to be pretty hot at javascript for both or what?

What do you guys think??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I well I reckon I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself and I reckon you could easily do both, to get the basics of AJAX you only need a couple of javascript commands. Basically all ajax is is some straight forward JS code taking data from a page and sending it to a php script and doing something with the data that's returned.

I think you can do a lot of Ajax now with JQuery so in the long run JQuery would be a better option in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Read up on Ajax
    Learn Jquery

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Learn better javascript and you're pretty much there on both (even though technically you don't need javascript to use ajax as you can use vbscript instead if you like).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Cool,

So it's basically javascript then.. and the others will follow.

I can't wait to look into them after the exams..should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks..

Advertisement