Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't political parties ONLY obtain regulated state funding?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 5:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Of course, politicians aren't going to want it because it spoils the fun of trying to curry favour and get huge donations, but couldn't all these rather suspect mutually backslapping relationships between the Political class and other memebers of the power elite be ceased, or at least ceased for those purposes, if we just made the funding transparent, logical, ie per capita or whatever, and regulated by the state?

I'm British but assume the same stuff goes on in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In that case, how would a new organisation start off? Sure you could ban donations and "sales" (back door donations), but you would probably have to keep some sort of private funding, maybe membership fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Affable wrote: »
    Of course, politicians aren't going to want it because it spoils the fun of trying to curry favour and get huge donations, but couldn't all these rather suspect mutually backslapping relationships between the Political class and other memebers of the power elite be ceased, or at least ceased for those purposes, if we just made the funding transparent, logical, ie per capita or whatever, and regulated by the state?

I'm British but assume the same stuff goes on in Ireland.

I am opposed to state funding of political parties.
    I do understand the concern about private source of money influencing parties.
    there are a lot of way for money to influence political parties apart from then donating money to the directly.

Instead of state funding I think all political parties should be limited to the membership fees the get for their members and no other sources of funding should be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

A number of parties have previously suggested that private individuals could donate to a fund that would then be distributed to the parties based on their size. The problem with this is that there would be no incentive for these donations as the individuals would not get a politician in their pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

IMO political parties should be outlawed and independant political candidates should be paid the minimum wage and get electoral funding from state coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I think you miss the point of politics. Members of the dail are there to represent peoples interests. Ostensibly the interests of their constituents, but really - and I see no problem with this, those who put them into the dail.

If I care enough about Tara for example am I not entitled to protest?
    To picket? To garner support? Petition? Challenge through the courts?

Where I do all the above within the law there is no problem. And if I elect someone to the Dail, that is my right.
    And then ofcourse that person shall espouse my views, table motions and vote accordingly to see Tara preserved.
    This is the entire point of the political process.

Now jump back a few steps. I didnt get that politician elected by voting for them - Im just one of say 20,000 votes needed.

I got Joe Soap elected because I have a vast sum of money at my disposal and I provided the funding neccessary to get Joe a high profile, good aides, and good media coverage.

Honestly, what is the problem. My donation to Joes campaign was perfectly transparent and documented. Joes funding was well known, and my reasons decernable.

You could argue that the politicians should serve the people, not big business. I say thats not a failing on the part of the businesses or the politicians, but the electorate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement