Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed

• 18-05-2009 8:42am

I am in Singapore at the moment and I am looking at picking up a d90.

However, they seem to be selling Nikon 70-300mm for around €200/300 but these lenses look a lot less impressive then the kit 18-105mm and the autofocus wasn't working that well.

Should I be looking for a Nikor lens or are the Nikon ones ok. Should I be going for a sigma?

Lens isn't for me, but a gift for somone who was giving out that the 18-105mm doesn't let them do the landscape that they want to do.

Note: d90 kits are going for around €600! That would strike me as a good bargain right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I can't advise you on the lens, other than if he/she wants to do landscape, I would look at getting a prime lens (or 2), even old primes as you would be using infinity focus mostly (as I'm only 2nd guessing what they really want to do!!).

Q. What price are the Nikon D300 cameras ?

I was looking for one of those!
    They only had d5000's which were about 1500 for the body.

They only had d5000's which were about 1500 for the body
    mmmmm......dodgy, as they are 607 sterling in the UK !!
    Also: D90 with 18-105 VR kit are 800 sterling in UK, well in one internet shop anyway.

1500sing dollars is about 700 euro or so..

Is the d300 > d90?
    I know the the d300 is seen as entry level professional, but from reviews I have read the d90 is seen as the top end amateur... so is this like hiring the lowest oxford grad as compared to the brightest UCL grad?

Is the d300 > d90?
    yes (i'm fairly sure it is, I'll just check on DPReview.com)
    D300 replaced the D200, D90 replaced the D80.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

It goes d60 d90 d300, the d300 is slot better, it's in the semi pro catagory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

If this

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?topic_id=23&msg_id=003xea

is to be believed, do take care buying second hand in Singapore.

I came across an extensive list of photo shop links recently and a quick search should turn it up.

Also, if you need film processed I was very pleased with the service here:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=52575&branchid=117182

Five rolls of Portra were processed and scanned to five individual CDs for fifty dollars. It was on a Saturday afternoon and I had to wait only about 90 minutes, which gave time to explore Beauty World.

If you have a site with photos of Singapore I would love to see your work.

The light in Singapore is demanding to work with, but wonderful.

Thanks guys - these are new prices.
    Will be back tomorrow with a bit more time to see what that the story is.

Advertisement