Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehomers that dont take banned breeds!!

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:44am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.pedigrees.webs.com

Came across the link above last night on gumtree while I was car hunting and it just got me annoyed.

They claim to rehome dogs but yet wont take so called banned breeds.

Seems a bit strange especially when the general attitude here from most of the rescue people is that any dog should try to be saved/rehomed.

Seems like a discussion relevant for here since theres a fair few of you rehomers/resucers posting here.
    So a few questions:

If you are involved in rescue/rehoming do you take in restricted breeds?
    If you dont whats your reasons for not taking them?
    And if you dont then surely thats totally against the rehomers charter so to speak.

And keep it clean.

Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is what it says on that site:
    SORRY, WE CANNOT rehome larger breeds, large crosses, dogs too old for rehoming, or any banned breeds.

In other words, they will only accept dogs for rehoming that will most likely "fly off the shelves" and none that they might be stuck with for a while.

If I were a cynical person, I would further suspect that there was a nice big fee in there as well somewhere in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

They state on the bottom of that site you've provided that they are not a rescue so I don't think the discussion is relevant.

There are no banned breeds in Ireland which begs the question, how much do these people actually know about dogs?

You also are not allowed to see where your animal is going, they blame that one on threat of parvo being brought in by visitors. If all dogs are to be vacc'd then what is the problem? They will bring a selection of dogs to you however. They also won't take dogs over 5 years or any needing vet care. They mention nothing about neutering.

The whole thing sounds very very dodgy to me. I for one would advise anyone not to touch them with a bargepole.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My thoughts exactly.

And if Im being totally honest I think the person thats runs that site may be using our rehoming thread to source dogs that they can then charge a large fee to the person who rehomes the dog as peasant suggested.

It stinks of a similar scam that went on here a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If they are in fact rehoming them at all......

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

What are these "banned breeds" that they talk about?
    Is it the restricted breeds?

Also, is there an age whereby an animal is classed as "too old for rehoming" or do they really mean "too old for breeding"?

I think it all looks very dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That sounds very dodgy. I see on there too that there is someone posting saying beware of scammers, she seems to have gotten scammed when she was supposed to get a free dog but was asked to pay for transportation. Dog never showed up. In fairness that was her own fault for paying the money up front like that but everyone should be careful of Gumtree anyway when it comes to the pet section, lots of chancers on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

This has been discussed on another forum that a lot of rescues use. It is very, very suspicious. I believe that it was also on Gumtree in Belfast, so maybe thats why they refer to banned breeds? I really think that the more warnings about this site and the people running it that are out there, the better. None of it makes sense, if they take dogs out to people's homes, how can they prevent parvo coming back into the premises? They also have an amazing wish list, maybe I should post one of those, rather than having to buy things.

I run a small rescue that is breed specific, so don't take any of the restricted breeds, except that I do take crosses of huskys and malamutes, and have had a few GSD crosses in, so I guess I do:rolleyes: I know that there was an issue regarding a large rescue a few months ago, not accepting restricted breeds into their sanctuary, however, I believe that was to do with insurance, and they still accept the dogs, but they have to go into foster rather than into the rescue premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Me thinks I am befuddled.. maybe it's old age or maybe my brain is giving up after being without nicotine for 3 weeks... but...

...they say they are not a rescue yet they call themselves *Pedigree Sanctuary Trust"? What's the legal definition of "trust"?

Someone please enlighten me?

I think I am going to start pink fluffy rescue or something like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As all these terms are not protected any idiot can set up rescues, trusts etc. There is no restriction in law on using such terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Richie, lookeeee

http://www.freewebs.com/celticrescue/
    ©2007 PEDIGREE SANCTUARY

Hmmmmmm...?

• Advertisement

No landline contact. Free email accounts, free website. Dodgy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Has anyone ever triedd to ring them? I bet they are just looking for dogs to farm as another poster says, it says nothing about neutering or spaying.:mad:

They don't seem to be a legitimate rescue. I would not be calling them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ooops they must have read this thread since the ad has now been taken down.

Let me reiterate something.If I confirm that one of our users is behind this(and believe me Im getting closer to pining down the user in question) it will be a site ban for them.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ooops they must have read this thread since the ad has now been taken down.

Let me reiterate something.If I confirm that one of our users is behind this(and believe me Im getting closer to pining down the user in question) it will be a site ban for them.
    Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If I confirm that one of our users is behind this(and believe me Im getting closer to pining down the user in question) it will be a site ban for them.
    Is that all that can be done Richie? It won't stop them viewing threads if they're not logged in, and they'll still be able to source dogs here if that's what they're doing.
    Can they not be done for false advertising or fraud of some description? Not by Boards obviously, but maybe members here can rally together and complain this operation of theirs to someone....

They won't be able to PM anyone and we don't allow phone numbers in threads.

Advertisement