Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landfill in Waterford? howd they get away with that?

• 18-05-2009 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all

Just looking to buy a house at the moment and was in that new foxwood there on sunday. Its up there on the kilbarry road opposite the rugby club, beside templars hall and carraig an aird.

The house was perfect and conditions were great but when i looked out the back window i could see how close the dump and landfill were to the estate.

How on earth did the council get away with putting that health hazard and Carcenagen slap bang in the middle of the city? was it there before housing estates sprawled? Do the locals know how much of a health hazard land fill is? Only in Ireland would something like this get the go ahead its shocking that people are allowed live in such close proximity to it, if you dont believe me look up land fill on google and set your eyes and mouth to shocked. Im sure the cancer levels in waterford are high due to this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Hi all

Just looking to buy a house at the moment and was in that new foxwood there on sunday. Its up there on the kilbarry road opposite the rugby club, beside templars hall and carraig an aird.

The house was perfect and conditions were great but when i looked out the back window i could see how close the dump and landfill were to the estate.

How on earth did the council get away with putting that health hazard and Carcenagen slap bang in the middle of the city? was it there before housing estates sprawled? Do the locals know how much of a health hazard land fill is? Only in Ireland would something like this get the go ahead its shocking that people are allowed live in such close proximity to it, if you dont believe me look up land fill on google and set your eyes and mouth to shocked. Im sure the cancer levels in waterford are high due to this.

'The Dump', as we call it, has been there for decades and houses have been built around the area. As far as I know, it is no longer used for landfill purposes and a site in Carlow is used instead. I stand to be corrected on that though...

For what it's worth, I've heard those houses are lovely, but the biggest mitigating factor is the stench in the air. That's why they are comparitively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 olivedelicious

Well even if it isnt used, if as youve said its been there for many many years surely its more toxic as the laws and regulations have only changed in relatively recent times as to what can go into landfill, The stuff still needs to be vented and anything within a two mile radius is in an impact area, theres a landfill over by the Tramore road beside superquinn and the new gym there and out in Tramore! are there anymore landfills in Waterford we should be aware of? what are the cancer rates like in Waterford? I mean landfill should be no where near cities or its inhabitants and it seems to be blowin at us left right and centre.

Think ill be buyin bottled water from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

there is no way in hell i would live in that area . the stuff that has been dumped in that area over the years , god knows what you and your children would be exposed to ...... if it was me i would look elsewhere.

Well your far enough away by the looks of things! but i can believe that theres a landfill slap bang in the centre of the city i mean the chances of getting cancer if you live in a 2 mile radius of this is extremely high, i just cant fathom it, that a local council a local government would allow people to live near this?????

Its definetly something to be ashamed of, i mean we need landfill dont get me wrong but to allow people to build around it or put it slap bang in the centre of a highly populated area? and before any pedantic petes jump in no i dont want to stick in some back water town and allow their people suffer, it should be kept as far away from living towns and cities as possible like the norm in most european cities and standards.

daftdave wrote: »
    there is no way in hell i would live in that area . the stuff that has been dumped in that area over the years , god knows what you and your children would be exposed to ...... if it was me i would look elsewhere.

Also its bound to be getting into the water supply, well maybe the led in the pipes will have some chemical reaction and save us eh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

could be worse. Could be like dublin. That place is a dump itself.

Thats a bit of a childish comment to a serious thing, Id rather live in Dublin than live beside a Dump and Waterford is one of the filthiest places ive ever seen, the amount of dumping is only shocking, tourist questionaires have revealed that the thing that sticks out most about Waterford is how filthy it is. Its all in the education and your attitude i suppose sums it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ok lets see a couple of things. 1st please feel free to provide these tourist questionaires saying that the biggest problem is how filthy it is (Im not saying the city is exactly clean but id like to see these).
    2nd: Cancer rates compared to where. I took galway as an example and waterford has had about half the amount of cancer cases from 1994-2007 (8680 in wat, 16958 in galway). These can be gotten off the National Cancer Registry website (www.ncri.ie)
    3rd: I dont recall any contamination alerts regarding the water supply in relation to the dump but if this has happened you could provide some evidance instead of scaremongering.
    4th:If your giving out about all this, why would you want to move here?

I will say I dont agree with the dumps location either but youre jumping off about contamination, cancer rates and saying it shows in the entire city which I would like proof for

Thats a bit of a childish comment to a serious thing, Id rather live in Dublin than live beside a Dump and Waterford is one of the filthiest places ive ever seen, the amount of dumping is only shocking, tourist questionaires have revealed that the thing that sticks out most about Waterford is how filthy it is. Its all in the education and your attitude i suppose sums it all up.

Quit trolling!

You made a valid point in your original post and got answers from a few of us. What more do you want?

You've made very few posts since you joined boards and are stirring it up big-time today. Are you someone in disguise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Interesting "facts" Ultimate Chin, but obviously you don't read any scientific journals.

• Advertisement

dogs wrote: »
    Interesting "facts" Ultimate Chin, but obviously you don't read any scientific journals.
    Serves me right for trying to be intelligent for once :pac:

Ok lets see a couple of things. 1st please feel free to provide these tourist questionaires saying that the biggest problem is how filthy it is (Im not saying the city is exactly clean but id like to see these).
    2nd: Cancer rates compared to where. I took galway as an example and waterford has had about half the amount of cancer cases from 1994-2007 (8680 in wat, 16958 in galway). These can be gotten off the National Cancer Registry website (www.ncri.ie)
    3rd: I dont recall any contamination alerts regarding the water supply in relation to the dump but if this has happened you could provide some evidance instead of scaremongering.
    4th:If your giving out about all this, why would you want to move here?

I will say I dont agree with the dumps location either but youre jumping off about contamination, cancer rates and saying it shows in the entire city which I would like proof for

Nah its just some like seany biker gives a great, N yeah at least its not like dublin that place is a kip, thats a very good arguement. my response was that Waterford is a very dirty place.

Do you think the city council would tell you about it being contaminated? i had my water checked a couple of years ago by the council and he was like ah well theres contaminants in the water anyway, all cool as ye like, and i said whatd ye mean and then he pointed out that there was another land fill not too far away from us up there near superquinn. we have one of the wettest countries in europe do you think that doesnt get in through the landfill and soak through? that waters gotta go somewhere and our drinking water is one of those places, anywho forget all of that,

Gas's from these landfills have to be vented and those gas's are extremely dangerous.

gscully wrote: »
    Quit trolling!

You made a valid point in your original post and got answers from a few of us. What more do you want?

You've made very few posts since you joined boards and are stirring it up big-time today. Are you someone in disguise?

oooooh someones a grumpy gus whats your problem? you been checkin out my histroy eh to see if im someone else? how sad is that!

Didnt know i had to appease posters on here before i get to post, you dont like it just dont respond!

Nah its just some like seany biker gives a great, N yeah at least its not like dublin that place is a kip, thats a very good arguement. my response was that Waterford is a very dirty place.

Do you think the city council would tell you about it being contaminated? i had my water checked a couple of years ago by the council and he was like ah well theres contaminants in the water anyway, all cool as ye like, and i said whatd ye mean and then he pointed out that there was another land fill not too far away from us up there near superquinn. we have one of the wettest countries in europe do you think that doesnt get in through the landfill and soak through? that waters gotta go somewhere and our drinking water is one of those places, anywho forget all of that,

Gas's from these landfills have to be vented and those gas's are extremely dangerous.
    Legally yes the council would tell us if the contaminants were a risk. Everything has some stage of contamination but not necessarily dangerous levels of it.
    You realise youre talking about the same landfill, not another one.
    The only gases I can think of would be CFC which have to be properly disposed of.
    Youve also yet to provide any evidance on what youre saying and until you do, youre only going to be classed as a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a rather excitable thread of little value. Kilbarry tip head was established decades back, has been closed to dumping for a few years now and there has been a steady programme of works to clean the site and give it a more "appealing" profile. They haven't finished yet.

Waterford cancer rates are at or just above/below the Ireland average depending on type.

oooooh someones a grumpy gus whats your problem? you been checkin out my histroy eh to see if im someone else? how sad is that!

Didnt know i had to appease posters on here before i get to post, you dont like it just dont respond!

Checking your history?? It's on the right-side of the page under your name, so I didn't have to go too far!

My point is that you asked questions as to how homes came to be at the same place as a landfill site and you were told that the site was there long before the houses which now surround it. Poor planning? Probably!

You then proceed to say that Waterford is one of the filthiest places you've ever seen. Why say that without backing it up? You've posted very little before and then all of sudden start a thread to criticise Waterford in the Waterford forum. That's trolling! You could've taken your own advice and not responded to seanybiker's joke if you didn't like it.

Well fair enough, but the original thread was im looking to buy house and went to see one out there on the kilbarry road near the rugby club called FOXWOOD the houses are very nice has to be said but the view from the back window is the city dump and landfill in particular.

The possible health risk would put me off buying, its nice to know that its no longer in use but what do you mean by theyre cleaning it up? surely its going to remain where it is and that would mean leakage of gas's etc which is something that has to be done.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is a rather excitable thread of little value. Kilbarry tip head was established decades back, has been closed to dumping for a few years now and there has been a steady programme of works to clean the site and give it a more "appealing" profile. They haven't finished yet.

Waterford cancer rates are at or just above/below the Ireland average depending on type.

mike65 wrote: »

Shhhhh elder poster.
    We're troll feeding :D

Look i like waterford and i think the issue of how dirty it is has to be raised,I criticise but i also do something about it like report it or write to the council which i have done, and so i havent been posting on a regular basis this make me some kind of criminal? Anyway i dont like the way your responding to me.

gscully wrote: »
    Checking your history?? It's on the right-side of the page under your name, so I didn't have to go too far!

My point is that you asked questions as to how homes came to be at the same place as a landfill site and you were told that the site was there long before the houses which now surround it. Poor planning? Probably!

You then proceed to say that Waterford is one of the filthiest places you've ever seen. Why say that without backing it up? You've posted very little before and then all of sudden start a thread to criticise Waterford in the Waterford forum. That's trolling! You could've taken your own advice and not responded to seanybiker's joke if you didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So, basically, now that you've found out that the landfill was there ever before those houses, what exactly is the point of this thread?

• Advertisement

Look i like waterford and i think the issue of how dirty it is has to be raised,I criticise but i also do something about it like report it or write to the council which i have done, and so i havent been posting on a regular basis this make me some kind of criminal? Anyway i dont like the way your responding to me.

Generally, trolling is treated with the contempt it deserves. You made a valid argument in your opening post, and you got the answer you seeked. Calling Waterford one of the filthiest places you've ever seen is an inflammatory remark to put in a Waterford forum, and combined with a lack of evidence, equates to trolling. If you even gave examples, it might help!

In my opinion, Waterford is no cleaner and no dirtier than any other city in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is :D

Seriously though olivedelicious, you are making bold statements that are going nowhere. Okay we accept foxwood is lovely and you dont like that dump view. The EPA I'm sure are well aware of the dumps existence and are monitoring it & from what I heard they (City Council) plan on turning the OLD dump into a park or something.

One type of gas that is very common in ireland is Radon gas and is a known cause of cancer if built up in homes.
    http://www.rpii.ie/radon/maps/waterford.html
    BUT this can be easily emitted with vents in a house.
    Once gas is vented it can escape and render it less dangerous. Gas needs trapped pockets for it to harmful if inhaled. So the mian thing the EPA and City Council will be doing is putting in vents and also monitoring it's output.

If you dont like the area near the dump try house hunting down by the Rugby club behind the hospital (moorings, kings channel etc). You will then notice that there is mosquito like thingys down there that will eat you alive.

If you go to another side of the city say gracedieu you then have big aerial radio wave pillon thingys that are emitting stuff that I dont even know what.

Basically you can find fault with nearly every place in waterford.
    Except where I live of course......actually there is a guy (his name eludes me) who left the green party recently, he has been mentioned in the polling related thread recently and he would the best guy for you to talk to about where is the best place to live in waterford. I'm sure he has objected to the dump existence in the past.

- BFG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Of course its a childish comment. I'm immature sure. Its not a serious thing though, the place hasnt been used for ages. You should have seen it years ago, place was manky. Its way better than it used to be.
    Waterofrd sint one of the filthiest places ya seen, that is a bit overboard.

Accodring to tidytowns.ie Waterford is doing really well over the last few years.
    Blackrock in Dublion for example didnt get much of a good review.
    Obviously there are tideir places that here, but all in all its not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

you sure your not mixing filthy up with seedy? according to lonelyplanet waterfords the place to go if your the seedy type. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

ye're all nuts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Those houses would have been built with a protection membrane against Radon. A lot of houses suffer from radon but the gas is not a result of any landfill. If you want to know more information, ill gladly provide it.

With regards to the gases from the landfill - they would be methane and are controlled by usually method of burning (head out to Tramore and you will see a flame from the dump). The dump in question has/is being treated like the one in Tramore. There are very strict controls in place. The landfill is secured by means of a plastic sheeting under it which is held very strongly together. This prevents the run off. On top, a membrane is secured to prevent roots etc. growing out of it.

I'm sure its not great overlooking a dump but that general area is also near the recycling plant and the smell from that can be pretty bad. There slowly being closed and treated around the country, which is great.

Waterford isn't that dirty either, in my opinion anyway. Its not the best, but its not the worst.

Creosote found in Waterford harbour and in Waterford landfill
    For the uninitated Creosote is a substance that appears to have things called (PAH) http://www.munley.com/creosote.htm which appear to cause some undesirable side affects when ingested.

Quote:
    Eating large amounts of herbal remedies containing creosote bush leaves may cause liver damage, while large amounts of coal tar creosote may result in severe skin irritation, eye burns, convulsions, unconsciousness, and even death.

Animals fed large amounts of wood creosote had convulsions and died, while those fed lower levels had liver and kidney problems. Animal studies have shown that when pregnant animals breathe creosote, it may cause harmful effects to the baby.

Long-term exposure, especially direct contact with skin during wood treatment or manufacture of coal tar creosote-treated products, to low levels of creosote has resulted in skin cancer and cancer of the scrotum. Cancer of the scrotum in chimney sweeps has been associated with long-term skin exposure to soot and coal tar creosotes. Animal studies have also shown skin cancer from skin exposure to coal tar products.
    http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts85.html

Anything that is good and useful is made of choclate

Copper coast more like creosote coast, sure in cork there they found some nasty stuff from some old metal plant and the epa and the government both denied that there was a problem despite green peace stating otherwise, so dont go waiting for the powers that be to advise the good people theres a slight problem with that landfill. by the way i am secretly Jim Corr

Sully wrote: »
    Those houses would have been built with a protection membrane against Radon. A lot of houses suffer from radon but the gas is not a result of any landfill. If you want to know more information, ill gladly provide it.

With regards to the gases from the landfill - they would be methane and are controlled by usually method of burning (head out to Tramore and you will see a flame from the dump). The dump in question has/is being treated like the one in Tramore. There are very strict controls in place. The landfill is secured by means of a plastic sheeting under it which is held very strongly together. This prevents the run off. On top, a membrane is secured to prevent roots etc. growing out of it.

I'm sure its not great overlooking a dump but that general area is also near the recycling plant and the smell from that can be pretty bad. There slowly being closed and treated around the country, which is great.

Waterford isn't that dirty either, in my opinion anyway. Its not the best, but its not the worst.

Well we all know about RADON i presume, Its a naturally occuring gas in the ground and Ireland is one of the highest areas with RADON, New houses that were built had a Radon barrier a sheet of RED insulation that is suppose to prevent the gas. And as far as im concerned a plastic sheeting isnt really going to stop a couple of tonnes of waste seaping out, look at all the corner cutting in our government, they cut schools they cut guards they cut you name it and if someone says gee we need ten million to contain that waste properly mr cowen what do you think hed say???

In theory its easy to contain this in theory but we all know it doesnt just work in theory and plastic sheetin and burning gas isnt going to completely stop all hazardous materials escaping into the land.

Any again buying a house youd be put off waking up in the morning yawning stretching greeting the sun as it shines in your window and a great big landfill, youd just go eh dont think ill take that big gulp of fresh air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What are you on about? Where is the link to Creosote having been found in Waterford landfill.

Oh found it click first link for the horrid truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

id be concerned about rats in the area, ive seen and been in those houses and yes they are lovely, but im sure the area must have some sort of rat problem

Advertisement