Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines 24Mb now available from Magnet

Options
  • 18-05-2009 9:37am
    Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Ok ladies and gents, we are now taking orders for the rathmines exchange.

List of areas served or partly served by the Rathmines exchange.

Area
    Harold’s Cross
    Dublin 6 (area postal code)
    Ranelagh
    Sandford
    Milltown
    Dartry
    Dublin 6W (area postal code)
    Dublin 14 (area postal code)
    Rathgar
    Kimmage
    Rathmines

*Not every street in these areas is covered, due to the nature of the infrastructure layout there may be streets in these areas which are not in our coverage area.

Key roads in the area (these are just the main roads, smaller estates in between are also covered)

Ranelagh Road
    Sandford Road
    Milltown Road
    Lower Rathmines Road
    Harold’s Cross Road
    Grove Road
    Canal Road
    Leinster Road
    Kenilworth Lane
    Rathgar Road
    Dartry Road
    Charlestown Road
    Orwell Park
    Orwell Road
    Churchtown Road Lower
    Highfield Road
    Rathmines Road
    Chelmsford Road
    Marlborough Road
    Castlewood Avenue
    Grovsenor Road

http://magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/index.htm

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good one Rorser, when are ye coming to the Loughrea exchange ??

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Good one Rorser, when are ye coming to the Loughrea exchange ??

Honestly don't think Loughrea is on the cards at the moment. People were crying out for this one so we really couldn't avoid the elephant in the room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Babies in Loughrea cry for LLU rather than their bottle Rorser :cool:

Any more in the pipeline ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Babies in Loughrea cry for LLU rather than their bottle Rorser :cool:

Any more in the pipeline ???

If this one goes well then maybe, the truth is that we really need to see some demand on this or any exchange .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

What is the download 'limit' on this service?

• Advertisement

What is the download 'limit' on this service?

No download limit, fair usage policy, but we have not (up to today) invoked this, we have never throttled nor have we charged customers for out of bundle data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Does Magnet service Mullingar? I couldn't find a map of the areas your company covers.

DonJose wrote: »
    Does Magnet service Mullingar? I couldn't find a map of the areas your company covers.

Most likely get the up to 7.6Mb service. If you are interested send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Rorser wrote: »
    Most likely get the up to 7.6Mb service. If you are interested send me a PM.

Thanks but I'm already on the 7.6Mb package with eircom, I was looking for something faster. Whats the average ping on a 24Mb connection.

DonJose wrote: »
    Thanks but I'm already on the 7.6Mb package with eircom, I was looking for something faster. Whats the average ping on a 24Mb connection.

Really depends, the best answer i can give you here is that the pings are usually low because of the fiber optic backbone. It is suitable for low ping intensive applications like gaming, skype and other real time applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Excellent stuff might have a look at changing over... Does the €29 per month offer include any line rental? And how long is the contract term?

Dardania wrote: »
    Excellent stuff might have a look at changing over... Does the €29 per month offer include any line rental? And how long is the contract term?

€29 does not include the line rental and the contract term is 12 Months.

€29 does not include the line rental and the contract term is 12 Months.

Aha - so it's €29.99 + €25.36 = €55.35 - would it not be easier to sat the price inclusive of line rental as people are going to have to pay it anyway if they avail of LLU?

Aha - so it's €29.99 + €25.36 = €55.35 - would it not be easier to sat the price inclusive of line rental as people are going to have to pay it anyway if they avail of LLU?

I know what you mean, but in our defense there are a lot of people out there who want to know how much the broadband costs in isolation. In saying all that €55.35 is pretty reasonable if consider what comes with the pack.

I know what you mean, but in our defense there are a lot of people out there who want to know how much the broadband costs in isolation. In saying all that €55.35 is pretty reasonable if consider what comes with the pack.

True, agree completely, especially when I compare what I could get with my current ISP (BT - http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml) in an exchange they haven't LLU'd. I must however confess that it was the €29 figure that stuck in mind all morning until talking to you...

Seeing as Magnet would have control of the phone line, is there an option not to avail of the voice options if I don't want it, for a reduced total cost? In my house we either use mobiles (to each other) or Skype...so theres no huge need for PSTN voice services...

True, agree completely, especially when I compare what I could get with my current ISP (BT - http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml) in an exchange they haven't LLU'd. I must however confess that it was the €29 figure that stuck in mind all morning until talking to you...

Seeing as Magnet would have control of the phone line, is there an option not to avail of the voice options if I don't want it, for a reduced total cost? In my house we either use mobiles (to each other) or Skype...so theres no huge need for PSTN voice services...

Unfortunately not, the truth is that we are not paying for the phone, we are literally renting the line off eircom. We pay then to get the data to the exchange and from there it jumps onto our network (on our DSLAMS, switches optical fiber backbone etc.){unlike resold services}.

Sorry if this is a bit techie but if you have any questions give me a PM. Incidentally if your current phone services are not LLU, I would recommend switching over as the jump in performance should help speed up your downloading.

Unfortunately not, the truth is that we are not paying for the phone, we are literally renting the line off eircom. We pay then to get the data to the exchange and from there it jumps onto our network (on our DSLAMS, switches optical fiber backbone etc.){unlike resold services}.

Sorry if this is a bit techie but if you have any questions give me a PM. Incidentally if your current phone services are not LLU, I would recommend switching over as the jump in performance should help speed up your downloading.

No worries about being techie I'm actually an electrical engineer. Understand you rent the line at wholesale rate from eircom in for which they maintain the copper but you provide voice & data services over.

I guess I had it in my mind that as you can decide which services to offer over an unbundled line, people could choose if they want voice or data, and if they do, what speed etc... something similar to Smart Telecom http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx or even your own busniess product (http://www.magnetbusiness.ie/products/bus_broadband.htm) which I know doesn't come with voice services.

Maybe I just represent a niche segment of the market that has no need for PSTN voice calls?

No worries about being techie I'm actually an electrical engineer. Understand you rent the line at wholesale rate from eircom in for which they maintain the copper but you provide voice & data services over.

I guess I had it in my mind that as you can decide which services to offer over an unbundled line, people could choose if they want voice or data, and if they do, what speed etc... something similar to Smart Telecom http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx or even your own busniess product (http://www.magnetbusiness.ie/products/bus_broadband.htm) which I know doesn't come with voice services.

Maybe I just represent a niche segment of the market that has no need for PSTN voice calls?

Yeah, this one has come up, but only very few times. We dont offer residential line share on LLU exchanges because its beyond what our customers are looking for. That said, you never know what would happen if we suddenly got 200 calls asking for line share on res.

In truth we do have a lot of people on the network who have never used the phone, but the price is the same anyway and you do get free calls, so I would say give the home phone a try, at least for your local calls.

I'd like to jump to yourselves becuase I know as far back from your Netsource days that the service you offer is top notch, but unfortunately I really can't justify spending more than €39 per month - recessionary times etc.

Thanks for your replies, best of luck with your continued expansion & if you ever offer a lower priced service without the voice option I''m sure we'll talk then!

I'd like to jump to yourselves becuase I know as far back from your Netsource days that the service you offer is top notch, but unfortunately I really can't justify spending more than €39 per month - recessionary times etc.

Thanks for your replies, best of luck with your continued expansion & if you ever offer a lower priced service without the voice option I''m sure we'll talk then!

Ok but remember, in my experience, in a high percentages of cases (especially networking) the less you pay the worse the service is.

• Advertisement

Just got our first round of customers, is anyone still unsure about the areas covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

We're about to move into Rosemount Estate, Dundrum this weekend. Will that be covered? If not, will it be soon?

And also, Eircom offered me 10Mb for a huge amount, so why can't Magnet do the same? (without the huge bill)...

Auscast wrote: »
    We're about to move into Rosemount Estate, Dundrum this weekend. Will that be covered? If not, will it be soon?

And also, Eircom offered me 10Mb for a huge amount, so why can't Magnet do the same? (without the huge bill)...

Dundrum has not been unbundled, so I would need your phone number to check. PM me the details and i can tell you the packs available. If you dont have the phone number yet give me a PM with your details and we can work around that.

Ok everyone, I was just talking to someone from Dundrum yesterday and they were on the Rathmines exhange. While i would say this is a real rarity i would say that if you are in Dundrum but close to Ranelagh try our line checker.

http://magnetentertainment.ie/

By the way.....all of our current customers (on the Rathmines exchange) will be upgraded in the next week or so.

The first round of customers are now having their orders processed, the exchange is now fully active.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Can you supply Brighton Square in Rathgar?

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Can you supply Brighton Square in Rathgar?

You are on the boarderline, but it looks good, do you want me to call? Send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Definitely gonna get this when back to Ireland in a few weeks! Only thing is that the phoneline in the apartment has never been used AFAIK, Rory any idea what one has to do and how much cost is involved in getting it up and running??

• Advertisement

Jev/N wrote: »
    Definitely gonna get this when back to Ireland in a few weeks! Only thing is that the phoneline in the apartment has never been used AFAIK, Rory any idea what one has to do and how much cost is involved in getting it up and running??

I do, you do need to ring eircom to activate the line but if you PM me your details I can talk you through the whole process before you call eircom.

Advertisement