Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFIV Advice: Guile (AKA Family man :))

• 18-05-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I mostly use Ryu or Ken but I wanted to try someone new so thought I'd try Guile.

I can get all of his combos no bother but one major problem is that in a fight, I don't know how to go for rushdown with him. I just look like an idiot crouching at the far edge of the screen, obviously charging.

I know that a handy trick for Guile is that the Flash Kick is a great anti air so handy for keeping the other guy at distance but I don't want to just play purely from a distance, risking if the other guy finds a way to get in close and smash me. So, how can I keep the other guy busy with an array of moves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Standard strategy for Guile seems to be light sonic boom, follow with dash or jump forward and keep opponent busy with pokes, crouch heavy kick and combos. You probably want to read the matchup strategies here to get some ideas on what to do against which opponent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Slow sonic boom followed by C H/Mk mixed up with focus is my favourite little scare tactic with Guile.

Use the fact that he has the quickest recover from a projectile to follow in behind it against the likes of Ryu users. Of course watch out for ex/super/ultra moves when doing this.

Always make sure if you land a jumping combo to go for a couple lps/ k as they'll give time for the flash kick/ boom to charge.

His EX sonic is ridiculously fast. I've caught out gamers much, much better than me with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Guile is one of the few players I like being matched against as Akuma. There are so many situations where I can land an ultra or super against him (perfect after a flash kick). Most people turtle as him also, like the OP, so chaining together a few red fireballs does quick amounts of chip damage.

The matches probably aren't the best to watch, but when you get 2 defensive players like Guile and Akuma together, the matchs will probably be won on chip damage mainly, and Akuma is a lot better equipped in this matchup than Guile is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If you don't want to turtle, Guile's not the character for you imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I must admit I don't turtle and I play guile , not that much recently but I practically mained him for awhile lol.

People get confused when guile starts running at them. I can't help but laugh during matchs against people who dunno any other way to play but run backwards the whole time, so you've got guile chasing a guy around this screen. Its like Bizarro streetfighter lol.

His overhead really helps him.

But I agree guile is a defensive character. Akuma is not though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be fair using one tactic all the time with any character is generally a bad idea. You should turtle with Guile but as funny said scare the feckers every now and then by coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But I agree guile is a defensive character. Akuma is not though.

Yeah true, in general you need to be more offensive as Akuma, but for turtle players I tend to not take the bait and let them come to me. Unless I'm trying to bait a flashkick for the ultra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

People get confused when guile starts running at them. I can't help but laugh during matchs against people who dunno any other way to play but run backwards the whole time, so you've got guile chasing a guy around this screen. Its like Bizarro streetfighter lol.

I have had this done to me and it really does get in your head, although I play a pretty aggressive sagat so it goes both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, I'm generally a very aggressive player so thats why I find it frustrating to use Guile.

That said, my win/loss ratio with him is one of the highest in my character list so I must be using him somewhat correctly. I'm aware of the whole poke combo stuff (like c.lp, c.lp, c.mp flash kick/sonic boom) but thats about it. Obviously, his ultra/super is quite tricky to pull off but thanks to some experimentation, I found out that you only need to do charge db, uf, db, uf to get his ultra/super out during get up or after focus attack. I think its the same with Vega too.

But the major problem there is that I'm limited to 2 situations where I can pull it off or a risky third one like his 5th (might've been 4th, not sure) hard challenge about juggling with his ultra after the mk super.

So my point is that its hard to pull off his ultra as an anti air or surprise the opponent because of that df bit.

I'll give him another proper go tonight with the advice you guys gave me :). Time to let out Guile's aggressive side :)

Make use his low medium kick into high overheard medium punch combo. This combo is why aggressive guile is a possibility.

Ultra from focus attack is really the only way to land it well. You can cancel a sonic boom or a flash kick into his super though.

Guile doesnt need to base his game around his ultra anyway, its not all that powerful.

Stylish as hell though ;)

Here we go....

One..

Two....

STRIKE!!!!!

"You call that a fight?"

:cool:

• Advertisement

Can't you combo ultra from flash kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Eh? :). Never knew that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Make use his low medium kick into high overheard medium punch combo. This combo is why aggressive guile is a possibility.

Anyone practicing Guile needs to get this down to a tee. Works in so many situations.

Cunny, what you follow up with after a successful overhead MP?

Dreddybajs wrote: »

eeeeh no. I know its possible to do an ultra after landing a super on the guy. But as for landing an ultra from a flash kick, I really dunno. You deffo can't cancel it anyway. Which is what I was talking about in regards to the flashkick into super etc.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone practicing Guile needs to get this down to a tee. Works in so many situations.

Cunny, what you follow up with after a successful overhead MP?

Depends on the kind of player I'm facing and his pattern really, two I can think of is 1, just doing a simple sweep , as some people block high on reaction after an overhead lands on them,

2 back and medium kick into sonic boom

Dreddybajs wrote: »

You can Ultra after an EX Flash Kick with some timing. I'm 99.9% certain. I need to check tonight,.

interesting, I'll give it a go!

Yeah I was almost sure you could do it as well, haven't tried it myself though.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You can Ultra after an EX Flash Kick with some timing. I'm 99.9% certain. I need to check tonight,.

couldn't try it last night but I know I did it to someone online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

Some nice Guile action in this vid:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's what you get for selling out & going Sagat, rookie :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement