Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick tutorial about print sizes

• 18-05-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

I have written a very quick tutorial on print sizes, as a response to quite often being asked for prints a diff shape to the file

its not about print resolution or anything like that, maybe thats the next tutorial

its just explaining sizes

anyway its here

http://www.360-dpi.com/tutorial/Aspectratios.pdf

please let me know if it makes sense, i do plan to write a bunch more to, well when i have time.

s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

stcstc wrote: »
    Hey everyone

I have written a very quick tutorial on print sizes, as a response to quite often being asked for prints a diff shape to the file

its not about print resolution or anything like that, maybe thats the next tutorial

its just explaining sizes

anyway its here

http://www.360-dpi.com/tutorial/Aspectratios.pdf

please let me know if it makes sense, i do plan to write a bunch more to, well when i have time.

s

Simple and to the point steve, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Simple, nice job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

A good read cheers.

Would these be the general sizes to consider (offer a client) when printing / getting things framed?
    10x8
    16x12
    24x20

any more worth consideration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there are loads more

Actually the point wasnt the sizes but more the shapes, Like i can print almost any size, up to say 100 by 60 inches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Howitzer wrote: »
    A good read cheers.

Would these be the general sizes to consider (offer a client) when printing / getting things framed?
    10x8
    16x12
    24x20

any more worth consideration?

I offer a lot more standard sizes but when it comes to certain images the size and shape is chosen to suit the image and not the image cropped to suit the size, i.e. my most recent large picture was sized at 20 x 30, the original request was 20 x 28 but the picture suited the slightly larger size much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Good info there stcstc.
    Q. If you are printing BIG, say 24*20 or even bigger, do you increase the DPI ? or do you leave it at 300 DPI ? or what is the max thats usable ?

there are many answers

BUT

you should aim to print at the native resolution of the printer

so for example my printers work at 360, some others work at 300

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How would I go about getting a print from negatives? The negative will be on 35mm film (either slide film or standard colour) but will have been shot through a 116mm camera, so I'd want the sprockets printed too. The length of the neg will be about 9 inches long too.
    So that's 35mm (slide or standard colour), sprockets on the pic and the length of neg about 9inches. How would that be done?

i could scan it in two different ways

either on my imacon scanner or my v750 pro

it kind of depends on output size as to which is best,

also you could do a wet print, but again kind of depends on size as to whats best

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

stcstc wrote: »
    i could scan it in two different ways

either on my imacon scanner or my v750 pro

it kind of depends on output size as to which is best,

also you could do a wet print, but again kind of depends on size as to whats best

Ok so it is possible. Still gotta come up with the picture yet but now at least I know (that someone knows) that it's possible.
    Thanks stcstc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement