Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Second Degree in the UK

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I've just finished by degree and I'm considering doing another. To do a second degree in Ireland would cost between 5k and 7k. I was looking at St George UCL's site and it seems that a degree is about half the price, judging by here: UCL Fees

Am I right in thinking that I would only have to pay about 3k if I studied here, even though I've already completed a degree?

The deadline for UCAS is finished for this year, but I was told that it was still maybe possible to apply. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Does anyone know what kind of grade I should be looking at in my Leaving Cert to do BioMed here? It says Biology in the A levels is an entry requirement. I didn't do it for my Leaving Cert I did Chemistry, but I have a degree in law. Any chance that will supplement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Yillan wrote: »
    I've just finished by degree and I'm considering doing another. To do a second degree in Ireland would cost between 5k and 7k. I was looking at St George UCL's site and it seems that a degree is about half the price, judging by here: UCL Fees

Am I right in thinking that I would only have to pay about 3k if I studied here, even though I've already completed a degree?

The deadline for UCAS is finished for this year, but I was told that it was still maybe possible to apply. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Does anyone know what kind of grade I should be looking at in my Leaving Cert to do BioMed here? It says Biology in the A levels is an entry requirement. I didn't do it for my Leaving Cert I did Chemistry, but I have a degree in law. Any chance that will supplement?
    You got to remember those fee prices are in sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Am I right in thinking that I would only have to pay about 3k if I studied here, even though I've already completed a degree? Yes.

The deadline for UCAS is finished for this year, but I was told that it was still maybe possible to apply. Can anyone shed any light on this? Depends on the rules of your chosen university. UCAS accepts applications and passes them to universities until the end of June but they are under no obligation to consider them. You may get a place through the 'clearing' system, which is not ideal if you have your heart set on UCL.

Does anyone know what kind of grade I should be looking at in my Leaving Cert to do BioMed here? It says Biology in the A levels is an entry requirement. I didn't do it for my Leaving Cert I did Chemistry, but I have a degree in law. Any chance that will supplement?Can't comment on the grade equivalencies - it's best to check this with UCL directly. I wouldn't think a law degree would make any difference to the absence of a biology grade at any level.

It's worth a shot though right?

i would agree with pow wow

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

The minimum requirements in the colleges in which I'm hoping to do BioMed are beyond my qualifications. Can I expect that the requirements will be less restrictive when it comes to Clearing?

The minimum requirements in the colleges in which I'm hoping to do BioMed are beyond my qualifications. Can I expect that the requirements will be less restrictive when it comes to Clearing?

it depends on the demand for the courses, all the places might be taken up before clearing

• Advertisement

Ding ding ding

Thanks

Anyone else?

Pretty much what regob said - if the demand is low they lower the requirements, grade wise anyway. You'll still need the required subjects, just not as high marks in them.

So if they're asking for Biology, you definitely need biology and there's no way around it? So I should be looking at UU where they accept Geography as a Science subject. Can I then definitely rule out anywhere that requires subjects I don't have?

For a 100% answer I'd email/call the admissions dept concerned and ask them. I know when I got my UCAS offers back in the day and I rang the one I wanted to see would I be considered in clearing they said a flat out no because I didn't have one of the required subjects (I had other related ones at a higher level and it was still a big fat no).

I'm assuming the biology requirement is so everyone enters at a relatively similar level and with the same comprehension of biology - I doubt they'd waive it totally. Only they can tell you for sure though!

Ding ding ding

Thanks

Anyone else?

dont be cheeky, had to tell ya the truth, manners goes along way

• Advertisement
Advertisement