Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripoff Galway Hotel Scam Backfires

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the hotel prices being sought for the Volvo were a diabolic ripoff . As most hotels in Galway still have rooms left for the peak weekend of the race it appears to have backfired on them as you can clearly see here

Plenty of hotel space in Galway , even on the bank holiday weekend .

The Hotel that most successfully sold out rooms over the duration of the Volvo Race stopover to date is ...... The Anno Santo in Salthill ,

It is now time for every hotel in Galway to try to make a success of this and to drop their room rates below €100 and ramp the PR machine , starting today !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Mother of God, some of those prices are mad, myself and my wife had a week in a 5 star resort on a marina, half board in Portugal for less that half of what most of them are charging.

The one I am most amazed about is how much the Travelodge is charging! 2,130€ for that period. The most expensive being the Saturday - 209€!! Myself and my girlfriend got a hotel in London - Belgrave Road (maybe a 10 minute walk from London Victoria) for 170€ for 2 nights. Whats stranger is that the G Hotel is 230€ for the same night.

The G-Hotel is a 5 star hotel, the breakfast is included in the price. So how in the hell can somewhere like the Travelodge charge 209€???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The one I am most amazed about is how much the Travelodge is charging! 2,130€ for that period. The most expensive being the Saturday - 209€!! Myself and my girlfriend got a hotel in London - Belgrave Road (maybe a 10 minute walk from London Victoria) for 170€ for 2 nights. Whats stranger is that the G Hotel is 230€ for the same night.

The G-Hotel is a 5 star hotel, the breakfast is included in the price. So how in the hell can somewhere like the Travelodge charge 209€???

They can charge what they like, but as you can see they'll have plenty of empty rooms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it's amazing to see how bottomless greed will manage to drive even the last, keen tourist away from this town.

This is the only chance for Galway to make some money and a lasting impression during this recession, and yet they're being absolutely stupid by scaring tourists off by overpriced hotel rooms, thus robbing other businesses (restaurants, pubs, etc) of earnings, and minimising the chance for repeat business.

Sad, sad story. Dumbwits, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

And the worse thing is people will probably pay it and it will just leave a sour taste of their trip to Galway. So much for the promises not to increase prices. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Is anyone really suprised? Places in Galway have been ripping off people for years. Why should this be any different...im a real and proud Galway man and I sometimes hate the place for the attitude it has. We are trying to be Dublin mark 2

Anyone up for emailing into the Galway Advertiser/some local newspaper, listing the hotels that are overcharging. If anything, they should be named and shamed publically.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

In fairness, those prices have come down since the beginning of April, when May 22/23 in the Harbour Hotel was almost 500. There was a story in the Tribune about it (doesn't seem to be online). Saw or heard something in the last week or two also about the hotels all dropping the rates because they aren't getting any business.
    The G-Hotel is a 5 star hotel

OT, but no, it isn't. It's a no-star hotel that is pimped as a 5-star. It's in a retail park carpark FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Harbour which is an Ibis or Travelodge grade hotel is looking for over €300 a night for a room betimes and you will get no sleep for that with all the noise of the bands out front and the Buckfast drinkers out back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is there something I am not getting? The price of these rooms per night is about €79 in the Maldron for instance.
    The prices of over €2k are for 20 nights! That is three weeks!

Most of those prices are not too bad, certainly a lot cheaper than what I was seeing when booking a hotel in Rome recently. In order to get similar prices it took me hours and hours of looking and settling on a hotel that does not even come close to the quality of these Galway hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Harbour which is an Ibis or Travelodge grade hotel is looking for over €300 a night for a room betimes and you will get no sleep for that with all the noise of the bands out front and the Buckfast drinkers out back :(

In fairness you're exagurating a lot there:

1) As far as i'm aware, all concerts will be finished by 22:30

2) There will be no Buckfast Drinking 'out the back' of the hotel - That will be the entrance to the 'pits'/working area for the crews - it will be under 24/7 patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

The G-Hotel is a 5 star hotel

Its a self proclaimed 5 star :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

galway hotels: raping the volvo ocean race since 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Random B&B in Dublin cost me €69 on a Tuesday night recently, so not all of those prices are that bad. Travelodge is a ripoff tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Have had disappointing experiences more than 3 times now at the Harbour, have to say :(
    Dining, hanging out, at a function, even stayed there once and there were a few biggish things that 'went wrong/not up to scratch'.

Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186609-d325806-Reviews-Travelodge_Galway-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

Travelodge isnt the best :D Oh dear. And even though its in the mid 20s of Hotels In Galway thats only because the ones below it have had about 1 review or none at all. Its the lowest ranked hotel in Galway with a reasonable number of patrons.

I note that some of them have dropped their prices marginally but this has been compensated for by some of them raising their prices over the course of the week.

When the Radisson is cheaper than the Harbour Hotel, most nights , you know something is wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

I fail to see the 'scam' here. They advertise their prices, people can take it or leave it. They obviously think they can make more from higher prices, less rooms filled than lower prices, more rooms filled so that's their business. And they are private businesses not charities.

corribdude wrote: »
    I fail to see the 'scam' here. They advertise their prices, people can take it or leave it. They obviously think they can make more from higher prices, less rooms filled than lower prices, more rooms filled so that's their business. And they are private businesses not charities.

2 to 4 times the price of Monte Carlo , that is pure gouging .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

Sponge Bob wrote: »

very true. and just to let people know who are thinking of booking the Harbour hotel, all the rooms face into the Ce Na Mara courtyard or out the fallen down stone wall to the front.

Any that do face towards the docks are most likely blocked by the concert stage at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement