Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to stop the Gov going on vacation

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Is there anything that the people of Ireland can do to stop their elected representatives from going on holiday after they have the nasty business of the local elections over. This time last year they all f..ked off and the economy went bang, will we be obliged to stand by as the same thing repeats itself this summer?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tattoodublin

Mike_C wrote: »
    Is there anything that the people of Ireland can do to stop their elected representatives from going on holiday after they have the nasty business of the local elections over. This time last year they all f..ked off and the economy went bang, will we be obliged to stand by as the same thing repeats itself this summer?:rolleyes:

Yes.... we can impeach and arrest the whole lot of them, sieze all their assets, and put a new government in place for the people. We can then tell the IMF and World Bank to take a hike, reclaiming our soveriegnty and negitating all foriegn debt. We can instantly roll back all property prices, residential and commercial rents and rates to 1990 levels, roll back all wages to 1995 levels and instantly have more money in our pockets and more time to enjoy life (work to live, not live to work). We wil then be very competitive again on the world market. Set up a national agency to review all outstanding mortages and reduce them to 25% of their current levels under a new national bank, the money going to support this new government.
    And when the EU and USA and Anglo-American banking structure threaten us with sanctions, embargos, or even military incursion onto our sacred soil, as they will, then we tell them to get their act together, or we offer the opportunity for Russia or China to set up naval bases on our soveriegn island and our waters under a lease (and job and trade provisions) treaty!
    My bet is they'd stop threatening and 'want to talk about it'

hahahahha funny huh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Mike_C wrote: »

Let's just hope that's it's the last one for most of them.

They can go back to trying to find conveyancing work and when they they suddenly find there isn't any and ask "Why not?" the penny might drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Very good question and I have been pondering the same thing. As I'm a democrat I can't really think of a way other than to start some kind of national campaign. Attract some big voices to the cause, academics, opposition TD's, columnists etc.. If the issue is escalated in the public domain there is some hope. Of course tell the candidates for the upcoming election how strongly you feel about it, I know they have a propensity for false promises but because there is such a strong argument to shortening and/or phasing their holidays perhaps the message would hit home. Why do they all have to go together, in no other important organisation that I can think of does this happen. Its embarrassing really to have your elected officials breaking up for 4 months when the country is one step for the economic sh*thouse. It certainly wouldn't inspire confidence for any potential overseas investors. I believe it's time for a change in the way we approach the management of our country. we need intelligent and well resourced taskforces with the responsibility of stimulating the economy. At least try and make something positive out of this slump, a slump which I fear will take longer than 2011 or 12 to climb out of. Maybe if there's less slacking off in times of crisis I could be proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What they refer to as constituency work continues - sorting people out with pasports and medical cards. planning permissions, moving bus stops etc. Most TDs will tell you that that is where the votes are and where most time is consequently spent. The Dáil is only a small part of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How about a reality TV three month summer/autumn special entitled "TD Boot Camp", preferably set on Devil's Island? We'll cut off medical aid, make food too expensive for them to buy, and throw them out of their cells if they don't keep up the payments. It might give them a feel for what it's like to be a member of the electorate back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

SkepticOne wrote: »
    What they refer to as constituency work continues - sorting people out with pasports and medical cards. planning permissions, moving bus stops etc. Most TDs will tell you that that is where the votes are and where most time is consequently spent. The Dáil is only a small part of the job.
    A good argument for reducing their holidays tbh. Less time to spend pandering to local concerns should lead to more time spent on national issues (i.e. the job they're elected to do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

'Any way to stop the Gov going on vacation?'

I doubt it! But is there any way to stop them from coming back ;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

The problem is not stopping them going on vacation.
    The problem is keeping them for coming back from vacation/holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

The Dáil is only a small part of the job.

Thats what the TD's think, but thats how come they can't run the country properly.

This should be the biggest part. Its where the country is run from.

They have county councillors for getting potholes filled etc.

Or maybe this is why FF are doing such a crap job? Didn't they get wiped out in the last local elections.

Maybe thats why their TD's have been doing the jobs of county councillors instead of running the country....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So Bertie missing 85% of the Dail votes since he left the Taoiseach's office is alright then?
    "Sure that's not what gets me votes"

Well sure, why do any of them show up at all? Just stay in your constituency and garner votes by kissing babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The Raven. wrote: »
    'Any way to stop the Gov going on vacation?'

I doubt it! But is there any way to stop them from coming back ;)?
    Belfast wrote: »
    The problem is not stopping them going on vacation.
    The problem is keeping them for coming back from vacation/holiday.

Is there an echo in here :rolleyes:?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Daithinski wrote: »
    Thats what the TD's think, but thats how come they can't run the country properly.

This should be the biggest part. Its where the country is run from.

They have county councillors for getting potholes filled etc.

Or maybe this is why FF are doing such a crap job? Didn't they get wiped out in the last local elections.

Maybe thats why their TD's have been doing the jobs of county councillors instead of running the country....

we get the politicians we deserve!!

TDs looking after local issues is what the electorate wants and that feeds the frenzy of laying claim to any good news..

there are 166 TDs most of whom have no real role or power in Dail as legislators or in Government as policy-makers

add in the pointless Seanad and hey presto...Irish Democracy

its the system and structure that needs reform

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The entire Irish political system needs to be revamped. We need to cull half our TD's as we have way too many drawing massive salaries, pensions and expense accounts. Politicians are all out for what they can get and how they can continue to get it. It's a gravy train and they all want on. If we paid them the national average wage maybe we would get people in goverment who actually wanted to do it for what it should be and not for what they can get for themselves. None of this will ever happen though because it's the party in power that would need to set these changes in motion.

LFCFan wrote: »
    The entire Irish political system needs to be revamped. We need to cull half our TD's

and ALL our councillors!! And the Seanad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I still wonder how a standard city in the UK (say, Liverpool) with a population matching, if not higher than ours can run perfectly well with one council.

And here's us with 30+.

Completely ridiculous, imo.

Advertisement