Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5th Class English, need help

• 18-05-2009 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi,

im currently doing some teachin in a 5th clas, teaching them english. ive been doing in now for a couple of weeks, but i am now totally out of ideas of what to do now

any help at all will be much appriciated

smile.gifsmile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

hi,

im currently doing some teachin in a 5th clas, teaching them english. ive been doing in now for a couple of weeks, but i am now totally out of ideas of what to do now

any help at all will be much appriciated

smile.gifsmile.gif

How about some grammar and punctuation rules?

For example, the beginning of a sentence, the word I, and a language (English) should have capital letters.

If a letter is dropped when two words are joined together or abbreviated an apostrophe should be used e.g. I'm, I've.

Or perhaps some spellings like- class, appreciated, teaching.

People like you give teachers a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

for your information im only 21 and im working up in a school with no pay cause i want to be a teacher, and this is the first time ive ever tought a class

and this is a forum not a thesis so i im sorry if i made a few spelling mistakes!

no, its you that gives teachers a bad name (if in fact you are one)

i was just hopin for some help from someone as this is all new to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Rosebush is correct. You should try and improve your spelling. After all, you are setting an example for the children. I'm not having a go at you or anything, but you should at least try and use correct spelling. The children, believe it or not, look up to you and will emulate what you do, including how you spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

English GCSE exams accept text language. . . and web forum are medium which tends not to place alot of emphasis on spelling and grammar. I know that I tend not to pay too much attention to it here and elsewhere but would in material given to a class.

That said, there were ALOT of grammatical mistakes, and Im curious how you can have run out of idea's of what to teach? Is there no departmental head giving you help? I was teaching without my dip this year and initially found it a struggle but eventually the problem was time.

Not sure about English, but here is some generic advice:
    Talk to the other teachers in the department and find out what they are doing, and copy them.
    Talk to the departmental head.
    Lay your hands on a copy of the curriculum.

Grammar is a dying art btw. You could buy a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves." This would allow you to brush up on an area of your subject that is important and disseminate the information to your class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

cheers to the above post.

im not teaching them through the medium of forum sites so me making a few grammatical errors here is not setting a bad example, it is not setting any example, and heres me thinkin that i could count on some help from those who actually help others learn for a living and i wasnt expecting the human spellcheck police to come down hard on me!

cheers again to the above post,i think ill give that a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

cheers to the above post.

im not teaching them through the medium of forum sites so me making a few grammatical errors here is not setting a bad example, it is not setting any example, and heres me thinkin that i could count on some help from those who actually help others learn for a living and i wasnt expecting the human spellcheck police to come down hard on me!

cheers again to the above post,i think ill give that a try.

It's all about good practice. It's also about making an impression on the people you request help from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This has run its course I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement