Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with scanning Nikon FE photographs

• 18-05-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hoping someone might be able to help me. Not so long ago I purchase a lovely Nikon FE film SLR and I'm really happy with all the developed photos, including the strong vibrant colours. However when I then scan these photos, the results are poor at best. For example, sky's lack detail and its clear they were placed on scanner (hard to describe, looks kinda like film grain or if the scanner glass is dirty, which its not). Here are some examples:

194065EC24524B2D872F5F032F914D7C-800.jpg

F696F6B9513E4B5491C2DFDDE37A0F1F-800.jpg

144E7FFAA9B84126A99A49AD39FD33B6-800.jpg

Though sometimes the results can be ok, i.e.

902003AFB32C4A0F8F0234FB560C6A1B-800.jpg

Its a Dell scanner, about 3 years old and I'm using the dell scanning software set to "colour photo scan". I suspect increased bits per pixel would help (16-bit tiff), however the software gives minimal custom controls

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Its probably more the scanner software than the actual scanner itself that's giving you problems. Try vuescan out for size, it'll give you much more control over the process. Any reasonably modern scanner should have no problem scanning prints. Probably little point in scanning them at more than 600 DPI though, as they were probably printed at 300 DPI.

Really you ought to be scanning the negatives for the best results, even a cheap flat bed would probably give you better results that scanning the prints will give you. Presuming there's no way of actually doing it on your existing scanner, you can buy a canonscan 8800 for about €150 or thereabouts. Read the thread below on "Brownie 2a film question", there are a couple of links there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Thanks Daire, I kind of suspected it was software related, but the scanner is part of an all-in-one dell printer, so it mightn't be the greatest.

I saw the Brownie 2a thread, but since I've only started dabbling in film, I'd like to hold off a little while more before spending more money on a film scanner. But loving film and the Nikon FE so far.

Advertisement