Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study French??

Options
  • 18-05-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to study French?!
    I really need to do well in this subject but feeling kinda overwhelmed atm!:confused::confused::eek:

thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Watch your favourite DVDs in French.
    Put the French subtitles on too, gets you used to reading the written word.

Helped me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Learn off phrases for the Formal Letter, informal letter & diary.
    Especially the formal letter.

Just know loads of stuff for writing a letter of complaint, a job application letter & a letter looking for information/making a booking.
    If you know loads of phrases, the letter just falls together.

For the reaction pieces, learn off phrases you can use for anything. Y'know like
    "Comme chaque question difficile, il y a le pour et le contre. Toute médaille a sons revers, comme on dit".

And loads more. You can pretty much learn off openings and whole paragraphs.
    Works for me- I really hate the language. Can't hold a conversation or anything, but I always get an A on the written paper just from memorising stuff.

Bon Chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Listen to the cd you got with your papers. Do the sample Qs. Over and over.
    In french (and indeed Irish) the listening (and oral, if well prepared) is easy marks. They throw them away.

Learn your grammar rules for each tense.
    Know your irregular verbs (anyone else do the busy house? <3 that diagram)
    Have phrases to pad things out, actuellement, on peut dit que, au meme temps etc.
    Look over your vocabulary for subjects like racism, politics, idk, whatever subjects you've prepared.
    Be sure you can string a basic sentence together
    Practice the comprehensions. They're really not that difficult. Usually you can find the answer they want in the question they're asking, and then match it to a sentence in the article.
    Don't leave any question unanswered
    Bonne chance

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

the 2008 aural is so clear and easy compared to the earlier ones! hope that trend continues

Advertisement