Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale of dyed fish in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

I was in a particular pet shop yesterday that appears to be selling dyed fish. I didn't think to take a picture at the time but there were about two dozen Parambassis ranga shown in the first picture of this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish. These fish were many different colours including yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, etc.

Was in the legal postition in Ireland with this? I have read articles in the past about this practise and about the health problems that the fish encounter after it and due to never seeing them in any other retailer I had assumed it was illegal to sell these here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

There was an Anti Dyed Fish Campaign somewhere on the net a while back, but I cannot recall where it was. They were working on approaching various animal cruelty groups etc.. but were met with minimal success.

As far as I understood, the basic principle for the "we dont give a crap camp" is that these fish were brought into Ireland after the cruelty had happened. So because there was no actual cruelty occuring in Ireland ISPCA could not get involved.

Success has been had with a number of retailers who refuse to stock/display these. Without naming the shops and getting in trouble for advertising, they are fantastic shops and the owners/staff will agree that this is a cruel and unacceptable practice.

There are a number of fish keeping clubs and associations that continue to try and hilight the issue, unfortunately it usually runs to the same dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

dont buy any fish from a shop that stocks dyed fish, personally i dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The best thing to do would be to go back to the shop and tell them you are not going to buy any fish from them anymore. If you just don't buy any and not inform the shop, they will not know that people have a problem with it.
    Suposedly its quite painful and fish can die during the process.:(

Advertisement