Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the League of Ireland 1st division.

• 18-05-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

11 games gone. First phase done. We have all played each other once. Whats your opinion on the teams so far. I guess its quite obvious that the biggest surprise is the run UCD are on. Im extremely impressed with their form. Fair play to them. Waterford have been impressive also.
    I guess the teams who need to do better are ourselves and shels although an argument could be made that the start both teams have made are decent but its just the brilliant form of UCD and Waterford that is keeping the favourites off the top.
    Our form is up and down. Brilliant one week crap the next. While it seems shels are grinding out results without playing to well (for the full 90 anyway).
    So i guess the question is are the favourites still the favourites and will it be a four horse race like it was last year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Ive seen everyone and if UCD can keep players fit they will win it for sure! Fungus I believe will come good towards the end of the season but I still think UCD will have enough.

Shels on the other hand are playing poorly espically in the first half of almost every match.

I predict;
    1. UCD
    2. Fungus
    3. Shelbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=118002 :pac:

I'll give it another month or two to decide, I personnally can't see UCD's young squad keeping up, and we had the same rough start to the season as we did last season iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The way the sides currently are, I'd probably have Shels to edge it, but I can imagine Fingal buying in another truckload of players in July, which might prove the turning point. Might make things even less stable though. UCD have done well, but I don't see them keeping it up. Waterford I see keeping it up, but losing vital matches to Shels and Fingal which will see them a little bit behind the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

DSB wrote: »
    The way the sides currently are, I'd probably have Shels to edge it, but I can imagine Fingal buying in another truckload of players in July, which might prove the turning point. Might make things even less stable though. UCD have done well, but I don't see them keeping it up. Waterford I see keeping it up, but losing vital matches to Shels and Fingal which will see them a little bit behind the other 2.
    Are you talking about financial instability? Any more on this?

SectionF wrote: »
    Are you talking about financial instability? Any more on this?

No nothing like that, I think thats a while away yet, as long as they're being backed. However, nearly every week I'm reading the opposition fans talking about the players looking like they don't care less, and I've heard stories about unrest at the club. Gary O'Neill being the main 1. Could all just be talk though, they seemed up for it enough, when we played them. But if a new batch of players were brought in when July comes, I'd imagine that could rustle the feathers of some of the current ones. Again, that might be clutching at straws because Fingal do have the spending power to sign a team in July that could destroy us. But I don't think there current side is really that much better than the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=118002 :pac:

Yeah I know. Im a lazy SH*T. Copy and paste is my friend:p The title is different:)

No nothing like that, I think thats a while away yet, as long as they're being backed. However, nearly every week I'm reading the opposition fans talking about the players looking like they don't care less, and I've heard stories about unrest at the club. Gary O'Neill being the main 1. Could all just be talk though, they seemed up for it enough, when we played them. But if a new batch of players were brought in when July comes, I'd imagine that could rustle the feathers of some of the current ones. Again, that might be clutching at straws because Fingal do have the spending power to sign a team in July that could destroy us. But I don't think there current side is really that much better than the rest.
    Nightmare for Irish football if they get promoted...

Assuming they have tiny support, how do they work with the salary cost protocal (or does that apply in 1st div?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Assuming they have tiny support, how do they work with the salary cost protocal (or does that apply in 1st div?).

It applies in the First Division alright (as much as it applies in the Premier I'd assume, some clubs will get away with it, some won't, but that's a side issie), not that many clubs come close to topping it.

Fingal employ the players as litter wardens, community liaison officers and a whole plethora of other things.

It's the playing wages that can't exceed 65%

Des wrote: »
    It applies in the First Division alright (as much as it applies in the Premier I'd assume, some clubs will get away with it, some won't, but that's a side issie), not that many clubs come close to topping it.

Fingal employ the players as litter wardens, community liaison officers and a whole plethora of other things.

It's the playing wages that can't exceed 65%

Rumours that this will be amended next year to include all wages which would be absolutely excellent.

Nightmare for Irish football if they get promoted...

:pac:Right. we are the ones going to be the nightmare for irish football. Dont know if you have noticed but there maybe a few other clubs involved in creating that nightmare. Didnt take long for the bitching i see:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:eek:

Is that material for a Phoenix story, a hilarious chant, or both? :p

Are you saying that the club actually has litter wardens, or are they on the council staff?

Are you saying that the club actually has litter wardens, or are they on the council staff?

I was being somewhat facetious.

The players are given "jobs" for which they are paid a wage.

They are then given part time playing contracts, for which they are paid a part time wage.

Yes, they are probably Fingal CC jobs, they might well be Sporting Fingal jobs.

But then again, they might be one and the same.

Didnt take long for the bitching i see:rolleyes:
    If you think the opposition to the notion of Sporting Franchise has begun with this thread, then you could do well to look in the archives. I believe you'll find plenty of it on news of your invention, and before your club even kicked a ball.
    Fingal FC. Made in Co. Council HQ, 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Rumours that this will be amended next year to include all wages which would be absolutely excellent.

I'd LOVE IT if that happened. Fingal can go back underneath the rock they crawled from. No offence lamper

If you think the opposition to the notion of Sporting Franchise has begun with this thread, then you could do well to look in the archives. I believe you'll find plenty of it on news of your invention, and before your club even kicked a ball.

Haha at least this ends the notion Fingal fans have that its only Shels fans who oppose their existence.

Haha at least this ends the notion Fingal fans have that its only Shels fans who oppose their existence.

Never did, but its shels who shout the loudest and you most of all.

Eh, believe me i dont believe the opposition started with this thread. The bitching im refering to is not even the fact you mention my club. I just mean it doesnt take long for a thread to do with the League of ireland to descend into a bitching competition just ask DSB he knows all about it.

Those in glass houses people.

Can we get back on topic. Or will we keep on with the club bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'd agree with DSB in saying that UCD won't last the pace, neither will Waterford. it'll be between ourselves and Franchise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was being somewhat facetious.

The players are given "jobs" for which they are paid a wage.

They are then given part time playing contracts, for which they are paid a part time wage.

Yes, they are probably Fingal CC jobs, they might well be Sporting Fingal jobs.

But then again, they might be one and the same.

Is there not rumours that a player or two in the premier division is being paid as a 'coach' and not a player as well. :D

Personally, I'd like to see Shels end up top, but it's hard to look past SF if the backing continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd say UCD and Fingal will get through this year. UCD are looking very strong, as long as injury doesn't bite.

In relation to clubs, seriously, what is the problem with another club in the league, no matter where the funds come from? Surely having more clubs is better, for football?

All clubs are finding it very hard to finance, look at Cork, Drogheda, etc, etc, etc So what if people want to pump money in to a club?

The main issue with the whole LOI is that there is not enough gate attendance. That even applies to the large clubs.

Now, can we talk about football, and not business?

Paulw wrote: »
    The main issue with the whole LOI is that there is not enough gate attendance. That even applies to the large clubs.

Apart from Cork City, who's average attendance is ~15,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd agree with DSB in saying that UCD won't last the pace, neither will Waterford. it'll be between ourselves and Franchise

UCD have Fingal at home on Thursday week. If we can win that game (and beat Limerick this weekend) we will have a seven - ten point gap over them, and the squad will probably feel invincible. Of course, a defeat could spark off a bad run of form.

The question with UCD is what happens when injuries and / or the first bad run of consecutive results come to pass. This is a very young and relatively inexperienced squad. It remains to be seen whether they will be mentally tough enough - they certainly have the talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The question with UCD is what happens when injuries and / or the first bad run of consecutive results come to pass. This is a very young and relatively inexperienced squad. It remains to be seen whether they will be mentally tough enough - they certainly have the talent.
    That's exactly my point. Your squad lacks depth and experience. In saying that, UCD are by far the best First Division side we've faced so far. And I include Fingal in that.

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd say UCD and Fingal will get through this year. UCD are looking very strong, as long as injury doesn't bite.

In relation to clubs, seriously, what is the problem with another club in the league, no matter where the funds come from? Surely having more clubs is better, for football?

All clubs are finding it very hard to finance, look at Cork, Drogheda, etc, etc, etc So what if people want to pump money in to a club?

Now, can we talk about football, and not business?

The problem is with the geographical location. Plenty of areas in Ireland need a club, Dublin already had too many. It is akin to a multi billionaire pumping into an already saturated market, that he'll never get the demand for. Sure, he can afford the loss, but whats the point?

The problem is with the geographical location. Plenty of areas in Ireland need a club, Dublin already had too many. It is akin to a multi billionaire pumping into an already saturated market, that he'll never get the demand for. Sure, he can afford the loss, but whats the point?

Attendances are rising this year for us. We already have the second or third highest attendance in the league so its starting to prove that there is an appetite for our club. As pointed out on numerous occasions the population of dublin and the appetite for football far exceeds the majority of other counties especially any counties outside the east coast hence why there are so many clubs in this part of the island. Simple maths really. If the need for football teams elsewhere was strong enough they would exist. Dont get me wrong the league would be better off with a wider spread of clubs but there is a reason that doesnt happen, the interest for soccer in a lot of the country is not there and its not just because of the EPL. How many clubs are there in london compared to other areas in england.

The point of him pumping money into our club as you put it (which he doesnt) is good PR for him and it allows a community such as ours to enjoy our own club. Which we do.

Gannon actually doesnt put any money into the team, He pays for certain facilities lets say;)
    The money to pay for everything else comes from sponsorship. Thats the truth but im sure you will believe what you want to believe, sure it gives you something to post about CSF sorry I mean DSB.

Attendances are rising this year for us. We already have the second or third highest attendance in the league so its starting to prove that there is an appetite for our club. As pointed out on numerous occasions the population of dublin and the appetite for football far exceeds the majority of other counties especially any counties outside the east coast hence why there are so many clubs in this part of the island. Simple maths really. If the need for football teams elsewhere was strong enough they would exist. Dont get me wrong the league would be better off with a wider spread of clubs but there is a reason that doesnt happen, the interest for soccer in a lot of the country is not there and its not just because of the EPL. How many clubs are there in london compared to other areas in england.

The point of him pumping money into our club as you put it (which he doesnt) His connection lets say with our club is good PR for him and it allows a community such as ours to enjoy our own club. Which we do.

Gannon actually doesnt put any money into the team, He pays for certain facilities lets say;)
    The money to pay for everything else comes from sponsorship. Thats the truth but im sure you will believe what you want to believe, sure it gives you something to post about CSF sorry I mean DSB.

OMGZ you know the initials of my band, you fiend. Your wink says it all about Gannon, and whether he puts it in as physical money or other forms of financial input is irrelevant really. The appetite for live football is terrible in Dublin, I don't get where you're coming from is terrible. And having the second or third highest attendances in the First Division is not an achievement, hell, having the highest attendances in the First Division isn't even an achievement, nor is having one of the middle attendances in the Premier, because the fact remains that attendances were already poor for Dublin clubs, and with 5 Dublin clubs already in the league, there was simply no need. Perhaps if some day you absolutely destroy the attendances of every other club in Dublin, then maybe there was a market and a need. But until then, you're just a football team put in for the sake of it, with no history, and no purpose. Wexford Youths may be a team with no history, and some of the teams could be argued have no purpose when playing to 100 people or so, but at least all the others have one or the other. Fingal are just a plaything.

Also, I'm not debating whether Fingal may become a Premier team and maybe build up to 1000+ attendances or whatever, but my main question is whats the point? The county already had 5 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'd love the 'Franchise' to win just cause it would piss everyone of here. Them or UCD cause they're my local side but the 'enemy' in a sense as im a former Trinity head.

themont85 wrote: »
    I'd love the 'Franchise' to win just cause it would piss everyone of here. Them or UCD cause they're my local side but the 'enemy' in a sense as im a former Trinity head.

Sterling contribution.

Are you finished?

OMGZ you know the initials of my band, you fiend. Your wink says it all about Gannon, and whether he puts it in as physical money or other forms of financial input is irrelevant really. The appetite for live football is terrible in Dublin, I don't get where you're coming from is terrible. And having the second or third highest attendances in the First Division is not an achievement, hell, having the highest attendances in the First Division isn't even an achievement, nor is having one of the middle attendances in the Premier, because the fact remains that attendances were already poor for Dublin clubs, and with 5 Dublin clubs already in the league, there was simply no need. Perhaps if some day you absolutely destroy the attendances of every other club in Dublin, then maybe there was a market and a need. But until then, you're just a football team put in for the sake of it, with no history, and no purpose. Wexford Youths may be a team with no history, and some of the teams could be argued have no purpose when playing to 100 people or so, but at least all the others have one or the other. Fingal are just a plaything.

Point still stands my angry little friend. Never said our attendances where an achievement and why do we have to destroy all other attendances to prove their is a need for our club. If attendances are so bad for other dublin clubs do you think we are taking away fans from these clubs, dont think so. If we are getting decent crowds for the first division then there is a need for our club as much as there is a need for any club in that division. I dont see how we have created any problem for any other team in the LOI. People want to see us so we are fulfilling a purpose. You get 2 to 300 hundred more than us on average so you deserve to stay in the league because of your history since when is that the criteria.
    A team gets to survive because there is a need for that team end of. Time will tell with us and all your bitching and whining wont make a bit of difference.

Nice to see you repeating the same bile iv been listening to for the last year from you just because you have a new audience.

I dont go about trying to attack other fans on here and their clubs unless they attack first. I just want my club to survive. I know we dont go about everything the right way but i will defend my club when people are just trying to tear it down for their own selfish reasons.

• Advertisement

Also, I'm not debating whether Fingal may become a Premier team and maybe build up to 1000+ attendances or whatever, but my main question is whats the point? The county already had 5 clubs.

Because you cant.

The point is that people will be watching a club they want to watch whether its 200 or 2000 fans.

We could do this all night. We already have too many times. Your not asking that question to me because you have asked me it so many times before. Your just hoping for others to up your thanks count and for the converted to way in with the same stuff over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

stovelid wrote: »
    Sterling contribution.

Are you finished?

I support franchises, i hope it succeeds.

I went to a couple of UCD games when younger but didn't return for a vareity of reasons. I always thought in a standard like the LoI that UCD and other college teams could do well like in the AIL. They have plenty of players at the right age and plenty of supporters to fill the Bowl. Is the current team largely drawn from the college?

I support franchises, i hope it succeeds.

I would like them to fail, although I don't hate them as much as the others. I can fully understand the dislike of them from the Bohs and Shels lads though. A similar wheeze in a southside constituency would be diabolical.
    and plenty of supporters to fill the Bowl.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Conan Byrne has a sports management degree and worked part time as promotion officer for UCD. He moved to Fingal, taking a drop from Premier to First Division football, to take up a full time marketing position. I don't know anything about other Fingal players but his job is legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Attendances are rising this year for us. We already have the second or third highest attendance in the league

Well there is a blatant lie.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well there is blatant lie there.

I actually missed that.

WTF lamper, who are you trying to fool?

Or are you talking about the First Division only?

Even at that, Shels have a bigger crowd, a bigger crowd home and away in most cases, than every other team in the Division.

Bohs must be banning people again if your crowds are up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Waterford would be my preference. By all accounts they were impressive last night..albeit against a pretty poor if strong Rovers line-up.

I think Shels will win it though. I thought that last season too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Well there is a blatant lie.
    Theyve been getting 600-700 mosts weeks have they not?

Whos getting more than that?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Theyve been getting 600-700 mosts weeks have they not?

Whos getting more than that?

Ourselves and probably everyone in the Premier. :rolleyes:

That leaves them at best with the 12th biggest crowds in the league.

With too many clubs in Dublin already, most of them one grumpy revenue official or other creditor away from oblivion, can someone please explain the point and purpose of another?

I can see that it would suit a political agenda for a developer and a council and a few displaced coaches and players. But I can't see any natural case for it, any more than I can see an argument for a Rathdown Rovers. There is no football logic in it; there is no vacuum to be filled; there is no groundswell of football, as in Wexford and Kerry.

Looking at it from a Dublin club and national league perspective, it is no more than opportunistic short-termism that can only split support, skew the league even more geographically, and do long-term damage.

Ourselves and probably everyone in the Premier. :rolleyes:

That leaves them at best with the 12th biggest crowds in the league.
    Average crowds so far this season from that UCD geek over on foot, 12th of May:

FIRST DIVISION
    Shels - 995
    Sporting Fingal - 758
    Harps - 600
    Athlone - 599
    Wexford - 585
    Limerick - 564
    Waterford - 472
    Longford - 448
    Mervue - 282
    Kildare - 228
    UCD - 204
    Monaghan - 155

• Advertisement

Pretty surprised actually. I thought SF had much lower crowds. Not too far off Shels.

That average would be massively inflated by the massive crowd we bring out there though. 1429 like. Pretty much double their average.

That average would be massively inflated by the massive crowd we bring out there though. 1429 like. Pretty much double their average.
    Fair enough. Im no mathematician, but double the crowd one week of ten is not a "massive inflation".

I reckon theyve picked up some refugees from the goon show in Phibsboro.

Fair enough. Im no mathematician, but double the crowd one week of ten is not a "massive inflation".

I reckon theyve picked up some refugees from the goon show in Phibsboro.

Take the Shels game out and their average is 623.

Take the Shels game out and their average is 623.
    Surely having a local derby is a natural factor in your crowds.

Its nearer to 700. But anyway, they are second in the Division, which is the point I was making to Zebra3.

Its nearer to 700. But anyway, they are second in the Division, which is the point I was making to Zebra3.

Its not nearer to 700, I think you're calculating on the basis that they play 10 home games instead of 10 in general. And having a derby is a natural factor but its a massive boost to your crowds, when the team who your derby is against are far and away the highest attendances in the league.

It seems neither yourself nor the Franchisee understand the difference between "Division" and "League". :rolleyes:

Its not nearer to 700, I think you're calculating on the basis that they play 10 home games instead of 10 in general.
    Yes i was, good point.
    It seems neither yourself nor the Franchisee understand the difference between "Division" and "League". :rolleyes:
    This is a division one thread. I was speaking in that context. Fingal have the second highest average in the DIVISION then.

(BTW, do you sing "were gonna win the division" at Shels?)

This is a division one thread. I was speaking in that context.

So what you are saying is that both yourself and Lamper are wrong?

So what you are saying is that both yourself and Lamper are wrong?
    Im saying that Sporting Franchise have the second highest attendances in the First Division. Get off your high horse. Shels are not exactly renowned for spectacular crowds themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement