Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better of in the UK?: Comparison resources?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm in a position where my job s pretty much location independent within the UK and Ireland. So naturally I'm thinking about bailing out. Having contributed well into the six figures in taxes in the last 4 or 5 years and 10K a year in child care, I don't really think I owe this place a living anymore. And with a young family whose heath and education I'm lothe to entrust to this place.

Does anyone know of any good cost-of-living or disposable income comparison resources that could provide a rule of thumb as to how much better off one might be in the southern UK for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

shayg1971 wrote: »
    I'm in a position where my job s pretty much location independent within the UK and Ireland. So naturally I'm thinking about bailing out. Having contributed well into the six figures in taxes in the last 4 or 5 years and 10K a year in child care, I don't really think I owe this place a living anymore. And with a young family whose heath and education I'm lothe to entrust to this place.

Does anyone know of any good cost-of-living or disposable income comparison resources that could provide a rule of thumb as to how much better off one might be in the southern UK for example?

as I posted in another thread a chart which shows Ireland has one of the lowest tax rates in OECD (personal and business)

UK is a big place and south east is "bloody" expensive to live in, tho the recent 30% devaluation of the pound made it much more attractive for outsiders

I dont know what you do, but if you are paying so much in tax consider setting up a limited company here, then your accountant can write of alot of things as expenses (food, drink, childcare, internet, phone, travel) tax free ;)

I'm living in London atm, and find it cheaper than dublin apart from the rent. Student expenses probably differ from family with kids expenses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

ionix5891 wrote: »
    as I posted in another thread a chart which shows Ireland has one of the lowest tax rates in OECD (personal and business)

UK is a big place and south east is "bloody" expensive to live in, tho the recent 30% devaluation of the pound made it much more attractive for outsiders

I dont know what you do, but if you are paying so much in tax consider setting up a limited company here, then your accountant can write of alot of things as expenses (food, drink, childcare, internet, phone, travel) tax free ;)

Yet another loophole that needs to be closed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

eamonnm79 wrote: »
    Yet another loophole that needs to be closed.:)

short of swelling the public sector (revenue) with an army of accountants and issuing an array of some very business unfriendly laws that would kill this country, i don't see that happening :pac:

Advertisement