Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Eeepc Linux to Windows?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I got an Eeepc Netbook and hate the linux system it came with. Is there a way to download Windows XP or Vista onto it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

there are ways to download xp or vista but they are illegal...

the way you put an operating system on a netbook is using a usb key. you put the iso image of the operating system on there and install it like you would any other operating system(except you boot from usb rather then cd).

Given that the linux os on a eee is s striped down version perhaps you should try Ubuntu...

IMO, going from linux to windows is a downgrade though..not upgrade.

hobochris wrote: »
    IMO, going from linux to windows is a downgrade though..not upgrade.
    I knew someone would say this... :rolleyes: It really depends on what the person is used to and what they want to use their machine for.

I wouldn't recommend running Vista on a netbook, XP would be more suitable but getting hold of a legit copy isn't very easy these days. If you can hold out for a few months, Windows 7 might be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I installed XP on my Eee PC. As hoboschris said, you install it via USB. There's a very good guide on one the Eee user websites that walks you through the whole process of formating the USB stick, making the necessary BIOS changes etc. Straight forward enough although getting the sound drivers to work on XP was a major pain in the ass.

I recommend getting familiar with nLite so you can customise your XP install image.

As for whether or not Windows adds anything - it runs well and boots up fast. At least I can run my favourite apps now and I have the option of switching between 800 x 600 resolution (the minimum for some apps to run) and the Eee PC's lower native resolution.

www.easypeasy.com

its what I've been using on my eee since I got it. Really wasn't a big fan of the initial operating system at all.

This is designed for the EEE and is updated and easy to use.

installation is straightforward too

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Thanks guys. The main issues are not Firefox and the browser but when I want to use MSN chat / Skype , I cant get the webcam to work and I dont like the pigin substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

You could try windows 7 as its just a stripped down version of vista and once you turn off the visual side of it like aero etc it should run quite efficiently. Also it has an xp mode on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A site like: http://www.asusparts.eu will sell you any part of an Asus Eee, including official Asus restore CD\DVD's. These include Windows restore images supplied by Asus with Eee netbooks.

I have purchased restore DVD's through them.

The restore DVD is about 11 euro, they charge about 30 for P&P, through DHL.. so, once you have added everything up, you might be better off buying an OEM CD of XP Home locally or online.

I would check out Ubuntu - Netbook Remix, this will support 'most' of the Eee's hardware without extra fiddling, it will also put Xandros to shame for ease of use and software availability.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

---

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Amalgam wrote: »
    I would check out Ubuntu - Netbook Remix, this will support 'most' of the Eee's hardware without extra fiddling, it will also put Xandros to shame for ease of use and software availability.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

---

Thanks , does it allow a Windows MSN messenger type display for chatting and using webcam etc..??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

skype works on linux, and aMSN or emesene are good linux clients for MSN.

*move to operating systems MODs*

Advertisement