Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help

• 18-05-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anyone help me have come into about 55 acres grassland in galway.How do i go about getting a herd no. and roughly how much would it cost to put say 7-8 bullocks on it so they can eat the grass over the summer.also have enough grass to do silage bails.would it be worth buying them and keeping them over the winter.what age shoul di buy them at? this may sound sad but i have to do something with the land as i would prefer not to rent it out.love to hear from anyone that has advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Go to your local Dept of Agriculture Office regarding a herd no.You will need handling facilities e.g. a pen and crush.Best bet to buy cattle is to ask somebody who regularly buys cattle to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 icecummon

thanks for responding. have a crush and facilities just wondering about what price to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

we buy store bullocks and try to finish them in about a year. price depends on a number of factors - quality, size, age, breeding, level of supply and demand etc. Generally you would be looking at anything between 600 to a grand a head (thats what we pay around november time in Balla mart generally about 15 months old or older). Get the journal and have a look at prices there. have a good chat with anyone in farming you know and get to know what you are getting into. i think in order to qualify for grants & stamp duty relief you now need to have a qualification in agriculture now.

Advertisement