Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - UK credit card woes

Options
  • 18-05-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all

I hope this is in the right place! I just needed a little advice as I am unsure what to do. I moved to Ireland from UK last year and have a UK credit card. I have been putting money into my uk account to cover the minimum payments on this whilst I find my feet. Unfortunately, I recently forgot to make the transfer and defaulted on my minimum payment - my credit card company (Halifax) is now going crazy and insisting I put money in, I dont have a problem doing this if I knew how. Can I take my Halifax credit card into a bank and pay money onto it?? Is there an easy way of doing this as I never meant to default and dont want things to get out of hand!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can't do it by just popping into a branch in the Republic (Halifax here are seperate from Halifax UK and most of the other banks would look at you oddly before assuming it was a Halifax Ireland card and shooshing you on your way).

The easiest way to do it is either a) pop across the border and go to a Halifax NI branch if your in a part of the country close to NI or b) get your Irish bank to do a International BIC/IBAN transfer to to Halifax UK's credit card payment account, using your card number as a reference. Most Irish banks can do this via telephone banking, if not internet banking.
    * International Payments – When making payment from an overseas bank account you may be asked to give our Iban and Swift/Bic code.

Iban - GB78BOFS80204500213765
    Swift/Bic -BOFSGB21099

is what is given on their site, but alway worth double checking that it is correct before sending money away!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

maisieJ wrote: »
    Hi all

I hope this is in the right place! I just needed a little advice as I am unsure what to do. I moved to Ireland from UK last year and have a UK credit card. I have been putting money into my uk account to cover the minimum payments on this whilst I find my feet. Unfortunately, I recently forgot to make the transfer and defaulted on my minimum payment - my credit card company (Halifax) is now going crazy and insisting I put money in, I dont have a problem doing this if I knew how. Can I take my Halifax credit card into a bank and pay money onto it?? Is there an easy way of doing this as I never meant to default and dont want things to get out of hand!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

There is a new Halifax branch opened in the Buttercrane shoping centre in Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

No need to panic give them a ring to find out the best options for a quick payment. Halifax are more worried now about the customers that can't afford to pay and have a high risk of being sold off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maisieJ

Hi
    Thanks for the help guys - I contacted Halifax and got swiftbic and iban for CC payments so it is all sorted.

Advertisement