Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Squad Announced

• 18-05-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given - Manchester City
    Dean Kiely - West Brom
    Keiren Westwood - Coventry City

Defenders
    Eddie Nolan - Preston North End
    Sean St. Ledger - Preston North End
    John O'Shea - Manchester United
    Kevin Foley - Wolves
    Paul McShane - Sunderland
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
    Kevin Kilbane - Hull City

Midfielders
    Aiden McGeady - Glasgow Celtic
    Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    Darron Gibson - Manchester United
    Glenn Whelan - Stoke City
    Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
    Liam Miller - QPR
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Andy Keogh - Wolves
    Liam Lawrence - Stoke City

Forwards
    Caleb Folan - Hull City
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
    Shane Long - Reading
    Leon Best - Coventry City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Leon Best?

Who's he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Goalkeepers
    Dean Kiely - West Brom
    Keiren Westwood - Coventry City

Defenders
    Kevin Foley - Wolves

Midfielders
    Liam Miller - QPR
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Andy Keogh - Wolves

Forwards
    Caleb Folan - Hull City
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Shane Long - Reading

Hmmmmm....

Wait I thought Doyle was injured???? Is Noel Hunt injured? Where's he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Des wrote: »
    Leon Best?

Who's he?

Plays for Coventry...

JPA wrote: »
    Plays for Coventry...

That certainly wasn't stating the obvious at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Doyle is injured, I reckon Trapp is clinging onto the hope that he'll be fit by June! N Hunt is also injured and it is longer-term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah N.Hunt is out injured.

Leon Best is young and was looking promising with Theo Walcott at Southampton for a while, never really materialised but he is still young and looks promising. He is English.

I think Doyle will be fit.

Who is Eddie Nolan? Any use? Havent seen much of PNE so i wouldnt know.

Liam Miller. Why do we let Trappatoni away with constantly insulting our intelligence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

That_Guy wrote: »
    That certainly wasn't stating the obvious at all.

Did ya see the question? That's the perfect answer for it.

I wonder what starting 11 he'll put out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ok i wasn't sure if i would have included McCarthy from Hamilton or not but some of those selections are a joke, is the standard in the Championship really better than the Scottish PL? Noel Hunt couldn't get into the Ireland squad when he was playing in Scotland either even though he was one of the top scorers :mad: McCarthy deserved a go in that squad imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Leon Best is young and was looking promising with Theo Walcott at Southampton for a while, never really materialised but he is still young and looks promising. He is English.

This might be a bit of a problem;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Still no Stephen Ireland? :(

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Dave! wrote: »

He's washing his hair :D

I hope Liam Lawrence gets to start, I like his style of play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dave! wrote: »

lol classic!

In fairness, surely Alan O'Brien deserves a place ahead of some of the others? I know he's not getting into the Hibs starting 11 of late (dont know why, he's one of their best players), but deserves a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    Leon Best?

Who's he?

I *think* he's the young ex-Southampton striker. A Granny-ruler and best of all - he is know for putting on a mask after he scores :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

suprised Keith Fahey didn't get a call up.

Me too actually. He has played very well for Birmingham & would do a better job in midfield ahead of Gibson imo

He's a left winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Squad strength really isn't great. If we lose key players to injury then we're screwed. I hope Foley gets a chance to impress as I still worry about playing McShane at right-back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol classic!

In fairness, surely Alan O'Brien deserves a place ahead of some of the others? I know he's not getting into the Hibs starting 11 of late (dont know why, he's one of their best players), but deserves a run out.
    Alan O' Brien has pace and thats about it really.

You're right. It''s the worst squad we have had since the early 80's and there's not a lot coming through the youth teams either from what i can gather. I agreew ith whoever said James McCarthy should be given a chance at senior level. If he's as good as he's made out to be he should be able to get into the team ahead of some of the players named in that squad. I saw him play for the u21's against Germany last year and he didn;t relly stand out. Having said that, I dont think he's that type of player. He's better judged having watched him consistently for a season and as he was voted Young player of the year in Scotland this year he must be somewhat decent.

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    Alan O' Brien has pace and thats about it really.

Which is more than can be said for a lot of those in the squad.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

No its not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was wondering why Stephen Reid is not there, I see now his return date has been pushed back to the end of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Trappatoni may be a better tactician than anyone we've had but he is absolutely woeful at picking squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Dissapointing that McCarthy wasnt called up. Who knows if he might get a sudden change of heart and play for scotland if called up as doubtful as that is. Also would have liked to see Scannell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Damien Delaney, he looked good when given a chance last year. Although Trapp seem's to like Kilbane.

I'd like to see Folan start for us. I thought he did extremely well when we played Italy that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Who is Eddie Nolan? Any use? Havent seen much of PNE so i wouldnt know.
    The captain of our U21's. Has been in the senior squad before. Mainly a right back but played centre half the last couple of games for the U21's and is playing left back for Preston. Steve Claridge report:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/12/eddie-nolan-preston-north-end-scouting-report
    JCos wrote: »
    I agreew ith whoever said James McCarthy should be given a chance at senior level. If he's as good as he's made out to be he should be able to get into the team ahead of some of the players named in that squad. I saw him play for the u21's against Germany last year and he didn;t relly stand out.
    You sure it was Germany? He was injured for the recent Germany game.
    You're right. It''s the worst squad we have had since the early 80's and there's not a lot coming through the youth teams either from what i can gather.
    Plenty of highly rated young midfielders but there doesn't seem to be too many strikers. James McCarthy is expected to be called up to the U-19 squad for the next stage of qualifiers in a few weeks. The midfield could consist of McCarthy, Clifford of Chelsea and Henderson of Arsenal. With the likes of Sean Scannell Aaron Doran ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The captain of our U21's. Has been in the senior squad before. Mainly a right back but played centre half the last couple of games for the U21's and is playing left back for Preston.

Good to see another utility man then, although, he is gonna have to work on his goalkeeping and super-suave celebrations if he is gonna match John O'Shea. He is from Waterford too though :eek:

Read that report, cheers for that, sounds promising.

• Advertisement

I see winger Aaron Doran came off the bench for Blackburn again against Chelsea. Wilshere (Arsenal), Delfouneso (Villa), Rodwell, Baxter (Everton) and Macheda (Man Utd) the only other players born in 91/92 to play in the premiership this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Seriously, just looking at the squad again, what does Trap be thinking when he picks em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I see winger Aaron Doran came off the bench for Blackburn again against Chelsea.

He showed a bit of promise, good feet at times, and generally good with the ball at his feet,

If he turns out half as good as duff did with his time at Blackburn id be delighted

DSB wrote: »
    Seriously, just looking at the squad again, what does Trap be thinking when he picks em?
    Not much argument with the goalkeepers. With Finnan (and J.O'Brien) unavailable Foley is definitely our best right back. Maybe Carr could have taken Kelly's place on recent form. Left back unfortunately we're a bit stuck for choice. Kilbane would be any manager's first choice there tbh and it looks like Nolan has overtaken Delaney for the backup spot. He picked our 4 best centre halves imo.

On the wings he's gone with Duff, McGeady, Hunt and Lawrence. Again not gonna be much arguments there. In midfield Whelan is in brilliant form in the premiership and was motm against Italy. A cert for the squad at least. Then you're getting to the debatable ones. Miller's not even a debate, he shouldn't be there. Andrews deserves a spot. Gibson is very debatable. You'd be looking any of Fahey, Reid, McCann, Garvan or McCarthy in place of Miller at least.

Up front Doyle and Keane are obviously stick ons (although Doyle will surely have to pull out). N.Hunt is injured. I'd have Long in there, I think he's a good player. Probably Morrison ahead of Folan. And I don't know why Best is called up. He was highly rated at Southampton years ago but I don't think he's lived up to it at all. He must have impressed Trap in one of the Championship games he watched. I suppose it's much of a muchness between Andy Keogh and anyone else we could call up for 5th choice striker. Can't see him playing right wing again, especially with Lawrence there now.

So not much to complain about imo. Only real debates over the 4th or 5th choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Yeah N.Hunt is out injured.

Nottingham born but spent most of his early years being reared in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

keith fahey?

• Advertisement

Nearly 5 years ago now Rodney Marsh said this about Leon Best:

There's a 16-year-old striker at Southampton by the name of Leon Best. I know he's only a baby, but I've been told the kid has everything.

He certainly hasn't lived up to that but it's interesting that he's in the squad. Trap said he's seen plenty of him and that he's similar to Folan. Folan looks certain to start against Bulgaria (with Doyle injured) and Best is in the squad as his backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

good to see liam lawrence in the squad hopefully he starts in place of whelan, lol why is shane long in the squad i know hes only a back up but surely clinton morrison would of been a better back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Morrission got 12 this year in the championship for a side that finished 17th not a bad return. Best got four this year. Not a regular starter at city but when he is in the mood very good player was great against blackburn this year. Think its a case of give him a chance in the squad to impress. I am delighted he got a call up still think michael doyle should be involved aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I still don't understand why Delap isn't in the squad. He's starting every week in the premiership, and to have a weapon like that throw-in to come off the bench when would be extremely useful.

Delap + Folan = incredibly ugly, but quite possibly effective.

mr.noobie wrote: »
    good to see liam lawrence in the squad hopefully he starts in place of whelan
    They play different positions? Whelan was motm in Ireland's last game and has been in excellent form in the premiership. Guaranteed starter for us next month.

• Advertisement

They play different positions? Whelan was motm in Ireland's last game and has been in excellent form in the premiership. Guaranteed starter for us next month.

Agreed, and I certainly was NOT a fan of his until his recent form showing he has a bit of quality about him.

Now if we only had someone good & fit to partner him in the centre. Gibson has been hopeless. Reid (Stephen) would be obvious, but his continuous injury problems remind me of Keith O'Neill a few years back - fantastic player, but too injury prone. Andy Reid just doesn't take the fancy of the manager, as much as everyone else would like him in there. Andrews is probably the only real viable CM partner for Whelan at the moment, and not ideal IMO, just not enough quality about him. We could always employ the services of one proven international I suppose - Carsley. But he can't get into the squad either....

Maybe its time to give a few more of the young lads a run out in the up coming friendly, but we need real quality in the centre of the park.

You sure it was Germany? He was injured for the recent Germany game.

You're right, it was actually the Turkey game.

I do recall myself and my mate thinking that he was playing the Germany game for about an hour of it because there was another lad played centre mid that looked somehwat similar to him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Agreed, and I certainly was NOT a fan of his until his recent form showing he has a bit of quality about him.

Now if we only had someone good & fit to partner him in the centre. Gibson has been hopeless. Reid (Stephen) would be obvious, but his continuous injury problems remind me of Keith O'Neill a few years back - fantastic player, but too injury prone. Andy Reid just doesn't take the fancy of the manager, as much as everyone else would like him in there. Andrews is probably the only real viable CM partner for Whelan at the moment, and not ideal IMO, just not enough quality about him. We could always employ the services of one proven international I suppose - Carsley. But he can't get into the squad either....

Maybe its time to give a few more of the young lads a run out in the up coming friendly, but we need real quality in the centre of the park.

I think it's harsh to judge Gibson, the lad has had only a few, mainly as a sub, appearances. The FA Cup semi was probably the biggest fixture he's played in and while he wasn't fantastic I felt he held his own-Ferguson seems to have faith in him.

In an ideal world where A Reid is selected, S Reid stats fit and Ireland plays for his country we would actually have an impressive midfield but we can only work with what we have. In Glenn Whelan I think we have found the best thing to come out of the Trap Era thus far. I think I read somewhere that his pass success rate in the Premiership was one of the highest in the League with 88%. Also he outplayed the Italian engine room on their own turf. However him playing alongside Andrews we lack imagination/forward runners-hence against Italy Keane was dropping deeper and deeper to collect the ball, for this reason I would seriously contemplate giving Gibson a go alongside Whelan.

We have many young promising centre mids and I wish they could have been included in the squad.... McCarthy, Garvan and O'Toole spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're right. It''s the worst squad we have had since the early 80's

Look again. The squads we were putting out in the early eighties were far superior to this one in terms of talent on paper. They were soft as ****e collectively though - which isn't something you could accuse the below group of being.
    Goalkeepers
    Dean Kiely - West Brom
    Keiren Westwood - Coventry City (Murphy, Scunthorpe)

Defenders
    Kevin Foley - Wolves

Midfielders
    Liam Miller - QPR (Doyle, Coventry / McCann, Burnley)
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Andy Keogh - Wolves (Garvan, Ipswich / Delap Stoke, McCarthy, Hamilton)

Forwards
    Caleb Folan - Hull City
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Shane Long - Reading (Morrison, Coventry)

There are a few selections I don't like, but as Eirebhoy noted above - they are in relation to depth rather than the starting 11. Andy Reid is behind in the pecking order to the likes of Garvan and McCarthy for me. They have real potential, have no obvious athletic limitations and have been playing regularly at their respective clubs.

Keogh and Long are the worst selections in this squad for me. Both have been in dire form at their clubs, and look to be severely lacking in confidence. Moreover, they haven't really impressed in their cameos for Ireland thus far. aodea (diehard Coventry fan that he is) was telling me that Morrison apologized to their fans for being out of sorts this year and resolved to do better next season - he still scored 12 goals! Folan and Keane will start (after Doyle drops out), and I would be a lot happier knowing there is a genuine goalscorer ready to come off the bench if we need it, rather than Best or Long (talented yes, clinical no). Plus, Morrison has always worked his socks off for us and clearly loves representing Ireland.

BUT, Trapp may have decided that the chemistry with this group is working really well. The determination they displayed against Georgia and Italy seems endemic of a bunch of personalities that are working really well together, that are fighting for each other. Trapp may look at the likes of Miller and know he ain't going to play him, but feel that he is a really positive influence in and around the squad in the build up to games. And ultimately feel it's not worth dropping him when he or his replacement are really unlikely to see playing time either way.

I'm not saying that is the ideal approach, just theorizing that he could value the tightness of the group really highly.

Is our probable starting 11 good enough on paper to win in Sofia? No, probably not. But Irish teams have never been about what they amount to on paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Are we going to be starting with McShane again :(

I think it's harsh to judge Gibson, the lad has had only a few, mainly as a sub, appearances. The FA Cup semi was probably the biggest fixture he's played in and while he wasn't fantastic I felt he held his own-Ferguson seems to have faith in him.

I agree its harsh. But he hasn't been good because he's just not got the experience to be starting in centre mid of ANY international side. Its not his fault, he's just young, and lacking first team football.

I can understand putting in the young hopefuls in friendlies, or where we've noone else, but this is getting ridiculous when we have proven talent that doesn't even make the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ferguson doesn't seem to have too much faith in Gibson considering he is out of contract at the end of the season with no indication he is getting one from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

He's a left winger

If you're talking about Keith Fahey , No he isn't .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ferguson doesn't seem to have too much faith in Gibson considering he is out of contract at the end of the season with no indication he is getting one from United.

Gibson's done ok for us overall when he's played, and he has spent the season training with great players and coaches - and has made 13 appearances for a team that may yet do a treble. I think that, right now at this moment, his selection is justifiable. If he dropped down to a Championship side / lower Premiership side and started week in, week out it may be the making of him.

No surprise. He's quite simply, not good enough IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement