Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

H.Dip in Education Requirments confusion

• 18-05-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am goin into my final year of an honours degree in mathematics and already hold an honours degree in computer science.

I am interested in second level teaching. However, I am unsure of the requirements to get onto a H.Dip in Education course. I have heard from some people that all I need is a good degree. From others, I have heard that I require a good degree and a minimum of about 150 hrs of teaching.

Can someone please confirm to me what the requirements to get onto a H.Dip in Education course is? and what the H.Dip in Education Involves?

Or alternatively if you could point me in the direction of this information, I would be very much obliged.

Thanks

DJT.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 emertheleemer

Hey djt0607, you'll find all the info on NUIs that you need on pac.ie-go to hdip in education section and download handbook for applications. The whole process is explained there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

thanks emertheleemer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pol o gallachoi

You need to have a degree in a subject which is taught to Leaving Cert. Teaching hours wasn't a requirement when I did mine in '05. What the hrs do is give you extra points as an applicant. Post graduate qualifications also gain you extra points. (Trinity require you to do an interview). With the amount of people looking to do a HDip increasing every year, you'd be advised to get some teaching hours if you can. It's also invaluable as you'll learn whether teaching's for you or not.
    The HDip involves a teaching placement (which you are required to find), college hours and an end of year exam.
    In UCD you will be required to spend the mornings in school and the afternoons in college. This varies from college to college. Word of advice: take this into account when choosing the school as you don't want to have to trek across a city and rush to get to your lectures.
    The rest is mainly slogging through it and gaining the qualification.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I got in this year with no teaching experience, so they definitly aren't needed. At least, they aren't in NUIM. And Maynooth do their teaching practice all day Monday and Friday.

Advertisement