Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Deaf.com charity?

• 18-05-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

An organisation called Irish Deaf.com are approaching people about selling raffle tickets. They claim that they registered as a charity in the Dublin District Court on 26th of March. There is no register of charities in this country so that statement is meaningless. They have not applied to the revenue for exemption.

Their board members are Magdalena Litka, Gediminas Jarusevicus, Michael Vojnar, Alvean Jones, Paul Etuh, Catalin Mireuta and Kevin Stanley. (Why not Google them with the word 'deaf'?)

Their website is www.irishdeaf.com ...they need better graphics.

They have no real phone number but their Raffle Hotline is 1850 927 722 (why not call them?)

They are based on the first floor of 386 North Circular Road, Dub 7.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

IrishDeaf.com is a real organisation, that much I know; I agree that they could do with a nicer website. If you have doubts about this raffle then you could visit their office, or you could go to the HQ of DeafHear on 35 North Frederick Street (just around the corner from Parnell Square) to double-check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FUGGER

Kwekubo wrote: »
    IrishDeaf.com is a real organisation, that much I know; I agree that they could do with a nicer website. If you have doubts about this raffle then you could visit their office, or you could go to the HQ of DeafHear on 35 North Frederick Street (just around the corner from Parnell Square) to double-check.

Have they directly arranged or played an organisational part in any of the events for the deaf they list on their site?

Regardless, seeing as they told me they were a registered charity in a country where there is no register of charities I think I'll just throw these raffle tickets they asked my elderly mother to sell for them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishdeaf

Irish Deaf.com works with many deaf organisations, which are charities. The raffle being organised is for the benefit of these organisations.

Whether these charities are listed or not, they are being asked to apply for a charity number this year as Irish Deaf.com will not be working with them next year if they don't have it.

As all people in Irish Deaf.com are deaf, there is no phone. Only when there is an accessible phone service that can be used by both deaf people and hearing people both ways, will Irish Deaf.com then have it. The phone number provided is for the raffle and is organised by the company who are staffed with hearing people, not Irish Deaf.com. The raffle is not a scam as the company has been asked by Irish Deaf.com to organise it.

Irish Deaf.com is independent from Deafhear. If you wish to check out more, please do pay a visit and you can enquire. Or you can send them an email or via their form online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FUGGER

irishdeaf wrote: »
    Irish Deaf.com works with many deaf organisations, which are charities. The raffle being organised is for the benefit of these organisations.

Whether these charities are listed or not, they are being asked to apply for a charity number this year as Irish Deaf.com will not be working with them next year if they don't have it.

As all people in Irish Deaf.com are deaf, there is no phone. Only when there is an accessible phone service that can be used by both deaf people and hearing people both ways, will Irish Deaf.com then have it. The phone number provided is for the raffle and is organised by the company who are staffed with hearing people, not Irish Deaf.com. The raffle is not a scam as the company has been asked by Irish Deaf.com to organise it.

Irish Deaf.com is independent from Deafhear. If you wish to check out more, please do pay a visit and you can enquire. Or you can send them an email or via their form online.

Could you actually name some of the organisations you work with please? For verification.

If you have some non-completely deaf staff working reception the following might help:

http://www.deafservicecenter.org/deafness-using-the-telephone.htm

The prices seem reasonable. Many deaf people use devices like these ...as you know doubt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishdeaf

Some organisations we work with include Deafhear, Irish Deaf Society, Irish Deaf Youth Association, Irish Deaf Sports Association, Allsorts Disability Group, Niall Mellon Township Trust.

Irish Deaf.com worked with 25 charities last year due to high demand. The charities listed above are registered or in process of applying for a charity number.

Thank you for your information regarding the telephones for deaf and hard of hearing. Unfortunately, these phones do not suit us as we're too deaf for them. There are methods available but they are quite expensive in Ireland and have some limits.

If you have any more queries, please do pop into our office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement