Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many DAB radios have been sold in Ireland?

• 18-05-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Anyone know?

Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prolly thousands but most of them will be FM/DAB or Internet/DAB/FM/Whateveryourhavingyourself hybrids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I bought one! :D

And then half the DAB stations disappeared... :( Is it still just RTE stations being broadcast?

But then moved to the UK so have lots of DAB to choose from now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've bought five of them*, and I'd assume theres a number of other multiple buyers. Units sold != potential listeners.

*car, kitchen, living room, bedroom, and a Morphy Richards one that does DRM I bought to play with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Is it just me that can't see the point in them?
    We have so few radio stations in Ireland and even fewer decent ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I think DAB is going to be another format that just never takes off. At home, you can just stream radio over the Internet, which is free. In the car, the main place people listen to the radio, DAB radios are not common and I don't think any come as standard with new cars. The lack of stations is also an issue. It's a chicken and egg situation. People just don't see a reason to upgrade and none of radio stations seem too eager to invest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On line isn't free insofar as it can eat bandwidth. Most of us have caps :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just found theres one in my office too, permanently locked on 106.0 FM for the phone hold system. Must have been the cheapest in the shop with line out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

mike65 wrote: »
    On line isn't free insofar as it can eat bandwidth. Most of us have caps :(

You would have to listen to a lot of high quality radio to exceed the cap of a regular broadband connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i got one last monday for my birthday. are there any plans for more DAB stations in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

mobius42 wrote: »
    You would have to listen to a lot of high quality radio to exceed the cap of a regular broadband connection!

You'd be surprised how quickly it builds up!

As an example, let's say you're an avid radio listener and listen to 5 hours a day at 256Kbps quality - that's roughly 570MB per day or just under 16.7GB in a 30 day month - which would actually be more than a lot of broadband caps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement