Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI 1:25000 weatherproof maps

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:11pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got the one of these maps for the reeks, I was wondering how weatherproof are they exactly? and would i be better off laminating it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Ive had mine out in showers, including yesterday. It held up to those conditions but I dont now about constant use in a downpour. Def not as tough as the laminated version, but a hell of alot better than the normal maps which can disintegrate in front of your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just got the one of these maps for the reeks, I was wondering how weatherproof are they exactly? and would i be better off laminating it?

What areas do those maps cover? I had a look at the OS website and couldn't find any other than Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Personally I've found the 'weatherproof' maps only marginally better than the paper maps, ie, you'd get six days out of it as opposed to three days with a paper map. Definitly reccomend laminating it or putting it into a ziploc bag.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

blanco wrote: »
    What areas do those maps cover? I had a look at the OS website and couldn't find any other than Donegal.

I'm not sure what other areas you can get them for, but the one I have covers the mckillicudy reaks and the gap of dunloe and some of the mountains to the south of the reeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

blanco wrote: »

The OS web-site isn't very easy to navigate.
    I stumbled across this section, which may help you http://www.irishmaps.ie/productlistingT.cfm?SeriesID=8

I'm not sure they don't cover the Wicklow / Dublin mountains yet...
    Is printing on both sides and laminating it too much to ask..? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Yorkshire

While walking in England a few weeks back I was talking to someone who gave me directions from what I think he called a Strip Map. It showed the area in different sections, which I imagine would make it easier to use in the wind.
    Are there Irish maps like this available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

If you are going to walk in the rain, buy the laminated OS maps as opposed to the standard (or 'weatherproof') ones.
    The laminated ones are quite well done, and take a fair beating. Everything else falls apart after a little abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yorkshire wrote: »
    While walking in England a few weeks back I was talking to someone who gave me directions from what I think he called a Strip Map. It showed the area in different sections, which I imagine would make it easier to use in the wind.
    Are there Irish maps like this available?
    AFAIK Strip maps in the UK are only available for many of the LDP's (Long Distance Footpaths) such as the Pennine Way, SW Coast Path, Offa's Dyke, Coast-to-Coast etc. I'm guessing you just happened to be on one when you came across this guy. They save having to carry a whole OS 1:25k map around which can be quite unwieldy as they're quite large and often double sided too, when all you need is a few km's either side of the route you're following.

Harvey's do a selection of these for instance, and very good they are too ...

http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/HARVEY_Route_maps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yorkshire

Thanks Alun.
    I'd say you are right, as i was doing a section of the Pennine Way at the time.
    They seem a very good idea, he was able to slip it out of his pocket, show us one section and just flick it over to point out the next part. The map we were using was huge and two sided as you say

Advertisement