Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBAN/BIC for German bank Volksbank

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to transfer money to a german bank account. I have his german bank account details, and from those, using the volksbank website, I was able to generate an IBAN (they provided a tool).

They also list a Swift code / BIC on the site, but I'm now doubting myself as to whether it's the correct one. (I have asked the guy for his IBAN, but he's not the best at answering mails, so it would be ideal if I could just sort it myself, tbh).

He said that his bank is Volksbank Giessen. The website that I found is for berliner volksbank (https://www.berliner-volksbank.de/produkte_und_service/firmenkunde/unser_service_fuer_sie/rechenmodule/iban_rechner.jsp), and the BIC given is BEVODEBB. Does anyone know if I'm correct in thinking that that website is just from another branch of the Volksbank, and that the BIC would apply to the other branch too?

Is there any way for me to find out the information myself, or am I doomed to wait for this guy to reply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine if it's the BIC listed on that page about IBAN's, it most likely going to be the correct one - unless they're a spectacularily crap bank ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 JackieT

I don't think you can use the Berlin volksbank's SWIFT/BIC, a volksbank is sort of like a credit union, so each regional volksbank would have their own swift code

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ahh, apologies - I thought that was the webpage for the organisation in question. If not, as outlined above, then don't send it :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Got the following results from a search on the Swift code website:

1 GENODE51GI1 VOLKSBANK GIESSEN EG GIESSEN
    2 VBMHDE5FXXX VOLKSBANK MITTELHESSEN EG GIESSEN

So now I'm thinking it might actually be the first one. Waiting on the guy to reply and see what he says, but I don't wanna wait too long. (Of course, neither do I want to send lots of money out into the black).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Hmm, an additional point I just noticed. That first one, even though it seems like it should be correct, is listed as "This BIC is not connected to the SWIFT network and cannot be used in the header of a SWIFT message.".

So perhaps you were on track with that VBMHDE5F from Mittel Hessen after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 JackieT

yea i think Parsi is spot on there. found this through google:

"Die Volksbank Gießen-Friedberg und die Marburger Bank beabsichtigen, ihre Geschäftstätigkeiten rückwirkend zum 01.01.2005 zusammenzulege
    Das neue Bankinstitut soll unter dem Namen Volksbank Mittelhessen firmieren"

My german is kinda rusty nowadays, but it basically means that VB Giessen & Marburger bank merged back in 2005, new name is VB Mittelhessen

Advertisement