Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade: 2x512mb vs. 1x1gb?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello all - upgrading an old Dell Inspiron 1100; maximum memory seems to be 1gb. Should I go for two 512mb chips or one 1gb unit?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

whats your processor? The only reason to go for 2X512 is because most modern processors and mobos memory controllers have a dual channel architecture (described below). Basically 2x512 can be faster than 1x1Gig

Dual-channel architecture describes a technology that theoretically doubles data throughput from the memory to the memory controller. Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a 128-bit data path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ljy9fn7qwhgasx

Cheers, Requiem - 'tis a lowly Celeron, 2.3ghz or thereabouts.

So if I understand you correctly, with more modern PCs that have dual-channel architecture it's better to split the RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

basicly yeah, 2 half gigs work faster than a single gig

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Hi,

I have a similiar question so I'll post here too instead of starting a new thread.

I need to upgrade the RAM on EI Systems 104UK Desktop PC for my girlfriends Dad. After searching the internet I found that the maximum memory for this system is 2GB. It has 2 memory banks. My question now is if I can replace the current 256MB module with a single 2GB module or if I must use 2 x 1GB modules. Its only 7 euro more for a 2GB compared to the 1 GB so if it can accept this module I'll get this instead.

It was bought in PC World a few years ago and he has lost the documentation that came with the PC. I've also asked shop4memory the same question but maybe someone here has actually done this in the past?

TeaServer wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a similiar question so I'll post here too instead of starting a new thread.

I need to upgrade the RAM on EI Systems 104UK Desktop PC for my girlfriends Dad. After searching the internet I found that the maximum memory for this system is 2GB. It has 2 memory banks. My question now is if I can replace the current 256MB module with a single 2GB module or if I must use 2 x 1GB modules. Its only 7 euro more for a 2GB compared to the 1 GB so if it can accept this module I'll get this instead.

It was bought in PC World a few years ago and he has lost the documentation that came with the PC. I've also asked shop4memory the same question but maybe someone here has actually done this in the past?

Yeah there shouldn't be an issue with doing that. If you don't know what the memory type is the simplest thing to do is crack open the side of the case you can see a little sticker on the RAM with the type and just order 2gigs of that.

Replacing memory is really easy, just be careful with holding it as memory is incredibly sensitive to static, so you'll need to ground yourself before doing this (touch a radiator). If you have two slots then just go for 2X1gig.

Did I answer your question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

requiem1 wrote: »
    Yeah there shouldn't be an issue with doing that. If you don't know what the memory type is the simplest thing to do is crack open the side of the case you can see a little sticker on the RAM with the type and just order 2gigs of that.

Replacing memory is really easy, just be careful with holding it as memory is incredibly sensitive to static, so you'll need to ground yourself before doing this (touch a radiator). If you have two slots then just go for 2X1gig.

Did I answer your question?

You did, however it conflicts with what shop4memory came back with. They said 2GB module was not supported (perhaps by the mobo?) and I should go with 2 x 1GB. Anyway I think I'll just go with 1GB for him purely based on financial reasons. Cheers for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

1GB is plenty for any operating system really, except for that RAM whore Vista

yeah you'll only need more memory for multi tasking, photo/video editing and gaming, plus a few other things.

If the memory has a max of 2 gigs the chipset will cut it off at just below 2 gig and you'll lose out on a couple of mb of ram but thats all. The only other thing that could stop it would be the lack of ram slots which in that case you might have to just use 1x2gig stick.

If you're looking to speed up an OS the best thing can generally be a reformat of the harddrive and a fresh install but you should still upgrade the memory

Advertisement