Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass...Fail...com-pen-sation?

• 18-05-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hello hello, I'm doing first arts and am wondering if I fail the subject I intend to drop after this year and hypothetically, I fail the repeats aswell, would I have to repeat that subject alone, for a year, even though I'd be dropping it straight after?

I'm fairly sure I already know the answer....it just seems a bit ridiculous.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Fail first arts? That's unpossible! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

BJC wrote: »
    Hello hello, I'm doing first arts and am wondering if I fail the subject I intend to drop after this year and hypothetically, I fail the repeats aswell, would I have to repeat that subject alone, for a year, even though I'd be dropping it straight after?

I'm fairly sure I already know the answer....it just seems a bit ridiculous.....

It seems ridiculous that you have to pass all components of each year before passing onto the next? Of course you have to. Otherwise why have the 3rd subject if you can fail or pass and still pass the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's a matter of com-pe-tence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It seems ridiculous that you have to pass all components of each year before passing onto the next? Of course you have to. Otherwise why have the 3rd subject if you can fail or pass and still pass the year?

This. You have to pass them all either by compensation or something but you have to pass. If hypothetically you fail the exam and the repeats you can repeat that one subject for the next year. Or you can choose a different subject and do that for a year and then pass that before going in to second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's to do with ECTS credits, you actually have to pass subjects to earn credits for your degree, who've thought :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Thanks to those who answered and thanks especially to the condascending and/or sarcastic comments :D

I think some of you took my original post the wrong way, I know about the amount of credits needed to get into second year, I just didnt know whether you could switch out to do something else or not - seen as repeating a failed subject you will be inevitably be dropping seems pointless. Miscommunication on my part.

Anyway, question answered, cheers guys.

It's a matter of com-pe-tence...

Zzzzing! Oh, that was very good. Congratulations. I'm impressed on what a serious deep burn that was. Was really good.
    I see what you've done there, taken what I wrote and turned it back on me.
    Comic genius, no doubt.
    Seriously, I need some savlon for that burn. Ooooh, pwned for sure.
    Definitely,
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Zzzzing! Oh, that was very good. Congratulations. I'm impressed on what a serious deep burn that was. Was really good.
    Comic genius, no doubt.
    Definitely,
    Well done.

Lighten up captain-I-took-the-bait

mp3guy wrote: »
    Lighten up captain-I-took-the-bait

Dang, I thought my overly sarcastic drawn out response was light.
    Guess I failed there, double dang!

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Comic genius, no doubt.
    Definitely,
    Well done.

Burns like my chlamydia, to be sure.

How many inventors does it take to invent a light bulb?

Just one... Thomas. Edison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

I wish I got the in jokes...

I wish I got the in jokes...

Aww, dont feel left out. I got it from simpsons :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Comic genius, no doubt.
    Definitely,
    Well done.

What can I say, some of us are just born to pwn ya know? :D

Advertisement