Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Militaria Museums

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I thought I would start a thread on Militaria museums contributors have visited.

Starting with our own fine Collins Barracks (free admission & free parking : )

Well worth checking out though they dont allow photography if you are sneaky enough you may get a few before they notice. Among the areas covered in the excellent Wild Geese section are the confederate army, yankee army, franco prussian war, napeolonic campaigns, russian military, austrian military and so on. This is before you even get to the Irish Rising, War of Independence, Civil War, emergency, un missions etc

Some of the connections are a bit tenous (including was the son of Irish man who became an austrian airforce wwI EKI winner - though considering Edward Mannock was also Irish its good to know that 2 of the greatest aces in WWI were either Irish or of Irish descent :)

Here are some pics - they cover about 1/20 th of the displays on show - if anyone else has any please post them here too.

Collins Barracks

Michael Collins uniform

May16th200901.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

May16th200913.jpg

May16th200910.jpg

May16th200908.jpg

May16th200906.jpg

May16th200904.jpg

CollinsBarracks200803.jpg

May16th200903.jpg

May16th200902.jpg

Here are some from the massive Imperial War Museum in London.

If anyone has more shots from here please include them here.

WWI British army

E87T4664.jpg

Russian Banners
    E87T4681.jpg

WWI No mans land bullet hole sign

IWM01.jpg

WWII German
    E87T4690.jpg

WW2 German Reicharbeitsdeinst
    E87T4699.jpg

WW2 German S.A.

IWM03.jpg

WWII German S.A., SS

IWM04.jpg

• Advertisement

WWII German Visor

IWM05.jpg

WWII German Narvik Shields

IWM06.jpg

WWII Panzer uniform

IWM07.jpg

WWII German SS uniform & Medal spange
    IWM08.jpg

Ultra rare 'July 20th Wound badge' in presentation case.

Very rare German medal - created specifically for those who survived the Stauffenberg bunker bomb
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_Badge )

IWM09.jpg

Himmlers Death Mask

IWM10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Thank you Morlar,

Great thread with some excellent photographs!
    Keep them coming if you have any more.

- Dan

Cheers - I have some from the Smithsonian (from what I recall a messerschmit and a V1 & V2 etc) and some from one in Sydney (enigma etc) but the washington ones are on film not digital & the Sydney ones I will have to dig out, so if anyone else has any of their own then fire away !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I have a couple to post up,I must just sort out some of the photos,heres a link to some of the Imperial War Museum's collection in Duxford

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duxford Museum's Land Warfare Hall in 360°[/font]tiny.giftiny.gif
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Land Warfare Hall at Duxford Imperial War Museum houses a fantastic collection of tanks, military vehicles and artillery displayed in a series of dramatic tableaux.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More 360° pictures of the Land Warfare Hall »[/font]

line_470_orange.gif
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More pictures:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duxford Museum Land Warfare Hall - View 2[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duxford Museum Hangar 1[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duxford Museum Hangar 4[/font]

They are pretty cool & you can see why they wouldnt fit in the London location. The landing one reminded me of the d-day museum at Portsmouth.

Advertisement