Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence of the Seas this weekend (photowalk/outing)

Options
  • 18-05-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

The worlds biggest cruise liner, Independence of the Seas visits Cobh saturday 24th, arriving at 14:00. She'll be in for about 24 hours and Cobh is having a mini festival on the quayside for the afternoon.

Anyone fancy heading to Cobh and having a photowalk/meetup saturday afternoon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

I will have a non boardie friend from New Zealand in town, i would love to come along, if its cool she does too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I will have a non boardie friend from New Zealand in town, i would love to come along, if its cool she does too?

of course - all welcome! photographers and non photographers alike, there should be plenty to see, music and so on on the quayside.

last time it was in:
    2793134943_f9b7b9bc37.jpg

again, I can lend out a camera or two for people that being their own film.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

If I'm around (which I prob will be) I'll come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm working at 2 that day damn it :(

• Advertisement

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I'm working at 2 that day damn it :(

good news!

seeing as I can't read a calendar - it's arriving on the 24th, which is Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Ohh interesting! i'll see if I'm on Sunday if not I might be able to make this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Sunday afternoon+seaside+hugeboat+music=me coming.

Let us know a meeting point and a time, DeRanged.
    (maybe editing first post with sunday instead of saturday?)

can't edit the first post unfortunately.

right, she's in this Sunday, some time around 13:00 or 14:00.
    She will park at the deepwater quay in Cobh, which is right next to the train station. Trains from Cork are at 13:00, 14:15, 15:30. Trains back are at 16:25, 17:30, 19:00. I think it's about 5.50 for a return but don't quote me on that.

There are usually parking restrictions but it should be possible to park in the car park along the 5 foot way. I expect it'll be a case of following the signs.
    (right at belvelly bridge, follow the road into Cobh, turn down right at the first crossroards after the shop on the left)

I'm going to get the train down, I live in Glounthaune so will board there.
    I intend to get the 13:00 train down. This would mean a 13:30 start in Cobh - is that too early for people - anyone want a later time?

I suggest meeting at the pedestrian bridge by the garda station. This is left as you leave the train station. If you drive it's the only two story building that you'll be able to see.

I hate being all organisey, how does this sound?
    any questions or suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi all - I live in Cobh and I know the place gets really packed and you could be held up in traffic for a long time, you may "think" you know the quick routes and short cuts - but then you discover so does everybody else and the Gardai usually divert traffic. So trust me - get the train! And enjoy your day out. It's lovely to see people enthusiastic about visiting Cobh and the atmosphere is wonderful when the bigger Liners are in, food tents and stalls and pubs of course. But there are some good restaurants too - the Watersedge Hotel does lovely bar food/restaurant. Or The Quays next door - with both of these places you are right on the waters edge so fantastic viewing. But I reckon everybody will be heading there. There's a bistro called Eleven West (I think) on main street in the town - lovely food. A few nice cafes and a Chinese too. Cobh seems to get a real slagging on Boards, quite a lot - but I live there and love it. J

• Advertisement

TY Judes for the suggestions...and I love Cobh, for what it can matter.

deRanged...Ty for organizing, u surely look good at it.
    I'll be taking the train from Cork's station (I live 2 minutes down the road from it), same train u are talking about, I suppose. Departs Cork's station at 13.00.

If someone wants to meet at the station at like 10 to 1 and get the train together, let me know ^_^

Time and place for meeting sound cool to me.

I want to inform you guys that I'll be all "ahhhh, ohhhhh" when I will see the big ship, don't mind at me and u'll be fine
    lol

Hey Judes - cheers for the info.
    Looks like i'll get the train now :)
    Tira, I'll prob meet ya @ the train and head down with u
    (once I dont make a last min decision to head off somewhere for the wknd :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Will be there myself too but will probably cycle due to knowing about the traffic problems in Cobh on days like these.

Enjoy.

MC

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hey Judes - cheers for the info.
    Looks like i'll get the train now :)
    Tira, I'll prob meet ya @ the train and head down with u
    (once I dont make a last min decision to head off somewhere for the wknd :D )
    I'll look out for ya, so.
    I brought boar sausages from Florence to you since u asked for something salami-like.
    It's the only present I brought from Italy (my mood wasn't right for buying presents :\), cause u asked for it :P
    So u better be at the train station lol

Will be there myself too but will probably cycle due to knowing about the traffic problems in Cobh on days like these.

Enjoy.

MC
    Will u be wearing a white protective helmet? Like the one in the avvie? So that we can recognize you ^_^

Eh no, I wouldn't want to ruin my hair! ;)

So we'll look out for a cycling guy with hair.
    It's gonna be an easy search...

Have fun you too ^_^

today's the day - and it's a beautiful day. I've already been to the beach, the waterfront in Cobh should be fantastic.

I'll be joining the 13:00 train from Cork to Cobh in Glounthaune.

all welcome - anyone who wants a number to meet up pm me and I'll give you mine. If the 13:00 train is too early there's another at 14:15.
    the initial meeting point is the foot bridge by the Garda station - come out of the train station, turn left, walk 50 m and you're there.

sensible shoes - there's going to be a bit of walking (all flat). sunglasses would be a good idea. there won't be any problem getting drinks or ice cream.

hope to see people later!

lovely afternoon in Cobh, I think I'm sunburned!

3560034218_5146ebffd3.jpg

the first hours parking is free.
    3560036444_bc57e3c33b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Yeah had a nice time.nice meeting you deranged! :-D

80784.jpg

Very nice, it really is massive.

• Advertisement

So beautiful!
    I'll post a pic tomorrow cause I am wrecked now...it has been a loooong afternoon lol
    Believe it or not the italian is sunburned too!
    I am quite curious at how Mik will feel tomorrow, his face was kinda purple tonite :P

TY DeRanged for the organization...I would like to see more of your pics, btw ^_^

Cheers to deRanged for arganising the trip - was good fun and the ship is MASSIVE, the pictures don't do it justice.

And I got a bit sunburned :P - feeling a bit off today...

.I would like to see more of your pics, btw ^_^

okie doki, I added more to my flickr

I like this one. looks like it's all about to go horribly wrong!
    3563784662_1fee5db707.jpg

there was some interest in a bouncy castle session. maybe an idea for a future boards outing?
    3563785422_3d3a47b668.jpg

deRanged wrote: »

there was some interest in a bouncy castle session. maybe an idea for a future boards outing?

I stalked your flickr for pics, i confess.
    The "going all wrong one" rawks almost as much as the bouncy castle session outing idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Taken from Camden

theindependenceofthesea176.jpg

On a side note, can anyone explain why the sky has that layer type effect???
    ( I'm guessing it's the way the camera metered the shot )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

deRanged wrote: »

The first one is like the movie Speed:)

I am still sunburnt!!!!
    I'll never make fun of irish sun again*

A pair of pics from me too:

3569963624_7bcd340c96.jpg

3569963628_82963aa9a3.jpg

The first one gives an idea of the "hugeness" of the ship if you consider that those small figures on the front are persons :eek:

*note: may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Oops, never saw this thread beforehand. Was with the child and herself anyway. Taken last Sunday in beautiful sunshine.

0d7163187785cbec5f33232fb8e2bee6a5e91363.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

not taken on the most recent trip but here's a few anyway...

2502862993_27d82bbe94.jpg

2503695364_1e736660c5.jpg

2502870869_2bac954dfe.jpg

2502865371_13271b6547.jpg

• Advertisement

I like the first one, Forrest...

Keep 'em coming...yeee.

Advertisement