Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night time C&C

• 18-05-2009 4:02pm

Right, its been ages since I was doing any proper photography and today I was messing about with white balance and exposure. I was asked to take pictures for some people and during the day I was (and the people were) quite happy with the results. However, I can't seem to get it together for night photography.

I know that these pictures kind of lack focus points, but I think I underexposed all of them too much, yet when I went for less underexposure, I was getting noise and messy shots. These were shot by hand from my hotel balcony which wasn't a help but can anyone comment on how to improve, either by better shot construction of by PP? (I shot RAW (well, .nef) for the first time tonight so will be messing about with those files later).

1. 3542868628_f81f8de934.jpg?v=0

2. 3542062055_315394c151_o.jpg

3. 3542867736_42863ac09d.jpg?v=0

4. 3542895898_e3e831f98e_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Are you using auto iso? The reason I ask is if you leave the camera to choose the iso setting it will bump it up for night shots, I dont know what camera you are using but some are not great over 800iso, always use a tripod for night photography this will allow you to lengthen the shutter speed and you will then be able to keep the iso down to say 200 which should give you little or no noise.

I was using 400 ISO and didn't have a tripod to hand.

A lot of the 'noise' was just the ambient light coming from the buildings which was softening and messing up the pictures, hence I was trying to cut that out by underexposing.

Are the pictures you put up un-processed raw files? If they are then you will be able to bring them up no problem with a bit of pp.

Nope, they are the JPEGs. Have just started looking into how to work with raw files.

I think the softness is just down to camera shake, they dont look particularly noisy (at that size anyway) almost impossible to get a sharp hand held at night unless you have a very fast lens. Give RAW a go, I know the files take up more space but the benefits far outway the disadvantage of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I love that little spot of light there on number 4, looks savage!

<edit>
    This might be a new catchphrase for me, but that looks like it wants tilt shifting... for the craic like :pac:
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The exposure in all of them looks about right to me, you'll start blowing highlights if you expose any more than you have done. They look a little noisy, but some levels/contrast adjustments on the RAW files should help enormously here. Also you could try Noise reduction software like Noise Ninja ( Havent tried that myself but seems good ) From my own experience I would suggest the following:

- No tripod? Find something (anything, windowsill, railing, etc) to rest the camera on. this will make a big improvement, and should allow you to drop back from ISO 400 to 200 or even 100.

- If the camera has a setting for long exposure noise reduction, then use it.

- If using high ISOs, I find my 40D responds very well to about a 1/3 stop overexposure, other cameras might too, worth a try.

Cheers, FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If they are in RAW when you are converting just raise the black level and it will correct most of the problems you describe..

Thanks guys.

I'm planning on doing a little walk about one of these nights as there are some amazing buildings around the place. I am just trying to get the hang of under / over exposing and all that before I go out!

Advertisement