Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor places to relax in over the summer..

Options
  • 18-05-2009 4:05pm

Hey all.

Bit of a fair internet user and have a desktop that i cherish. However, I've recently been thinking about buying a laptop and a mobile interweb connection so i can sit outside for all two weeks of our good summer weather and just relax in the warmth whilst still enjoying the wonders that is the internet.

Only problem is, I can't think of anywhere in Drogheda that would be suitable to do this in. I originally thought the Ramparts might not be a bad place, but then realised that it'll most likely be filled with all kinds of scum bags and inebriated old folks with nothing better to do with their time.

So i put it to you fellow boardians... Where the hell can I go?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

google would suggest these http://totalhotspots.com/directory/ie/560687-wifi-drogheda

Edit most of these are no more. Why don't you get a 6 pack of dutch gold and head to the ramparts anyway :D

cant think of anywhere nice where you woulndt run the risk of being annoyed or robbed of the laptop unless its a cafe or beer garden.... mc phails maybe ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

How about somewhere around millmount?
    Other than this the river walk on the northside of the boyne (down by where the canoe and river rescue club is)
    Personally i would get in a car and maybe go out to Mellifont, Monasterboice, Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth or maybe Slane???
    You can also get abus to most of these places..or at least within a short walk of all of the above...
    As for the weather, best of luck ;)

There's nowhere really to sit at Newgrange. Or Dowth, unless you wanna be stuck on top of the mound with the sheep and ****e all round you. I was going to suggest going to Flagstaff if you drove. It's only 25 minutes away and it's such a beautiful viewing point, it overlooks Omeath and Carlingford, now whether you'll get a connection is another matter but for comfort, beauty and peace you'll find nowhere better.

I'm thinking here of anywhere safe in Drogheda and there is none. You could get the train to Balbriggan, if you don't drive, and make your way to Ardgillan Castle that has lovels grounds around and pretty nice views on a decent day.

Phoenix Park could be an option too depending on how you travel.

Hye all,

thanks for the suggestions. Don't have a car or anything though.

Don't want to go to a beer garden because I'd feel obliged to buy stuff for using their space, and I'd have to listen to people waffling on all the time when they come out. Millmount doesn't seem like a bad idea though. Place is usually desserted, has plenty of walls to sit on and there's a fast food place nearby if you get hungry.

I must take a mooch around that area tomorrow and see if I come across a nice secluded little spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

it's an awful thing to say but i can think of nowhere public that i would feel comfortable or safe to sit on my own with an expensive piece of kit and concentrate, not specifically in drogheda, anywhere ! Go to scotch hall and lock yourself in a toilet cubicle for the day, should be safe enough !!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Famous45 wrote: »
    There's nowhere really to sit at Newgrange. Or Dowth, unless you wanna be stuck on top of the mound with the sheep and ****e all round you.
    Erhh plenty of low walls and grassy mounds that animals have no access to on the front road at newgrange. Spent many summers just relaxing in the area...

There's no mounds, there's a stretch of grass along the road in front of the bushes. It's hardly a place to go and relax. I live 1 minute from Newgrange - there is nowhere to lay down with your laptop and relax. :cool:

Mooched about Millmount the other day. Nothing much really. The only place you can sit and relax is outside the circle of buildings where the museum itself is, but when i was there there was about 100 school girls all running around and messing, and plenty of parked cars, so I'm assuming it's quite a busy area and not somewhere you'd go to do nothing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Mornington, baltray or clogherhead beach? Beauili Woods? Townley Hall? There are picnic benches in the middle of townley hall woods. Getting internet access i dont know.

Is there any hot spots in drogheda anyway? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Not exactly Drogheda, but Ardgillan Castle is not that far away, plenty of grass, and stunning view of the castle and the sea beyond! Not sure about the public transport to get there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

positron wrote: »
    Not exactly Drogheda, but Ardgillan Castle is not that far away, plenty of grass, and stunning view of the castle and the sea beyond! Not sure about the public transport to get there though.

Beautiful place, i should have mentioned that. I was there last sunday actually.

yeah you can get the 101 or 100 dublin bus, just as long as its not an express, to Balrothery beside balbriggan, then its about a 5/10 min walk to the castle. Look it up on google maps. And for bus eireann timetable check out buseireann.ie journey planner.

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    There are picnic benches in the middle of townley hall woods.

Went out there the other day. Seems pretty perfect for what i want it for. Only takes about twenty minutes on the bike, cycling casually, and plenty of space to sit and relax. Only been out there once recently though, so I'll have to further investigate (dont want to go out all ready to relax and mess about with my laptop, only to go out and find the place is packed with people all over the place. Nice and quiet is best).

Advertisement