Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Fish or not to Fish

Options
  • 18-05-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

So I have a circle one 6'11 "shortboard" right now, doing me fine, but for the smaller summer waves which would be a better choice:

A retro fish fairly big say 6'4-6'7
    or a longboard ~9'

Taking into account ease of throwing a board into the back of the car means I'm leaning towards the fish but could do with some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

well if you dont have a car rack,,,,its a worthwhile investment...Longboards are great IMO , catch and glide on any wave....Id lean to a Longboard , but thats just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Hmmm I'd have to get a roof rack so. I have one of those soft racks but don't really trust it.

From a catching waves perspective a fish should be the same as a longboard right? The only difference being the ride characteristics once you've caught it. (Fish: fast cutbacks, longboard: nose riding)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

kodute wrote: »
    From a catching waves perspective a fish should be the same as a longboard right? The only difference being the ride characteristics once you've caught it. (Fish: fast cutbacks, longboard: nose riding)

Don't know if I'd agree with that.

I surf a 6'4" retro fish, lovely and wide and plenty of buoyancy but still you'd get in way earlier on a long board.

I'm torn between the two myself.... I love my fish but I love my long board...:confused::confused::confused:. Don't know which to advise...

I'd say it depends on the size of your 6'11". If is pretty thin/narrow, a fish will prob feel like a LB but if its chunky enough, I'd go with a LB for the glide....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

what kind of car do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

ya'd get in a good bit earlier on a longboard man methinks.

Id go with longboard anyway if i were you, would be a nice change from the shorter type board for a few months at least. Id love to get one but i cant justify it at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnom23

Ive got a 6'2 retro fish and normally ride a 6'8 shortboard. The fish is so much fun! Personally I much prefer it to a longboard and I have tried em both in the same session a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

lg123 wrote: »

Tis a Saloon. I either use a soft roof rack for the 9ft+ (I find it fine...Use an Ocean Earth one) If I bring the 8ft, I just drop the back seat and it fits in perfect.

:)

loctite wrote: »
    Don't know if I'd agree with that.

I surf a 6'4" retro fish, lovely and wide and plenty of buoyancy but still you'd get in way earlier on a long board.

I'm torn between the two myself.... I love my fish but I love my long board...:confused::confused::confused:. Don't know which to advise...

I'd say it depends on the size of your 6'11". If is pretty thin/narrow, a fish will prob feel like a LB but if its chunky enough, I'd go with a LB for the glide....

Seems like your advising me to get both! ;) Oh how I'd love to do that!
    lg123 wrote: »

Corolla hatchback, doesn't catch as many waves as my 6'11 :pac: but holds up to 8'6 at a push with the front seat dropped.

is that the 3 door shorter one? i can get my 9'1 into my hyundai accent with nothing to spare, touching the windscreen and boot

No the 5 door long ass version. I'd knock down the front seat and have the nose in the foot well with the tail touching the back window.
    Maybe up against the windscreen is the way forward...

• Advertisement

with a bit of luck you should fit a 10' board in one of those wagons, they are a good bit longer than my hyundai. if you do go for a longboard ask in the shop for the bubble wrap it came in because if you dont have a bag your dash and seats will get covered in wax

Advertisement