Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claudio Ranieri sacked

• 18-05-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭

Juventus have announced that Claudio Ranieri has been sacked as manager following an emergency meeting of the club's board on Monday.

The Turin-based club sit third in Serie A but, with two matches of the season remaining, fourth-placed Fiorentina are chasing down a one-point deficit.

If Juventus - who have not won a league game in seven attempts - surrender their position they will lose an automatic spot in next term's UEFA Champions League.

The club's hierarchy has therefore decided to act and junior team coach Ciro Ferrara has taken over the reins.

Speculation has suggested that Genoa manager Giampiero Gasperini could be the man to succeed former Chelsea boss Ranieri at the Stadio Olimpico in the long term.

Ranieri, 57, took over at Juventus in June 2007 when he signed a three-year contract with the Italian giants.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_5334167,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Too much tinkering by the bowl' Claudio !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They seem to like sacking managers on mainland Europe with a couple games to go and still something to play for. Not getting an automatic place means they could end up playing Arsenal to qualify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not suprised. A poor season with nothing to show for it in all honesty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not suprised. A poor season with nothing to show for it in all honesty

No Juve fan expected us to win Serie A so it wasn't a bad season. Champion's League qualification is secure. Sad to see him go but the form just hasn't been there this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

When you're under pressure and you don't play Del Piero or Giovinco (not even on the bench) you're not going to last long. He was making crazy decisions lately, he seems like a decent guy, but good riddance to him.
    Wonder if Ferrara is permanant? Thought Conte would get the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Bubs101 wrote: »
    No Juve fan expected us to win Serie A so it wasn't a bad season. Champion's League qualification is secure. Sad to see him go but the form just hasn't been there this year

CL is secure but who would want 4th over 3rd.Fourth is not seeded so you could get a big team first round.

Juve have been awful lately.The fact he wouldent play ADP or Giovinco was a joke.

I think its more of the way they have been playing that resulted in the sacking tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would Chelsea have him back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That_Guy wrote: »
    Would Chelsea have him back?

Really doubt it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really doubt it...

Ah sure Newcastle will take him as Shearer's number two. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

dsmythy wrote: »
    They seem to like sacking managers on mainland Europe with a couple games to go and still something to play for. Not getting an automatic place means they could end up playing Arsenal to qualify?
    He's the first manager that Juve have sacked in 40 years!

Quint wrote: »
    When you're under pressure and you don't play Del Piero or Giovinco (not even on the bench) you're not going to last long. He was making crazy decisions lately, he seems like a decent guy, but good riddance to him.
    Wonder if Ferrara is permanant? Thought Conte would get the job

Ferrara won't be permanent. Spalletti is fancied to get the job. Personally (I support Juve) I'd like Gian Piero Gasperini but he signed a new contract with Genoa a couple of hours before Ranieri was sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Spalletti would be ideal as he's taken Roma about as far as he can and would relish the challenge at a club with greater resources.

Spalletti would be ideal as he's taken Roma about as far as he can and would relish the challenge at a club with greater resources.
    His teams have a bad habit of not being able to defend though.

First match with Ferrara in charge.

Siena 0-3 Juventus
    Del Piero free kick
    Marchisio set up by Del Piero
    Del Piero set up by Marchisio.

Vastly improved performance.

Obviously you can't give Ferrara the job after 1 game! But good performance all the same.

Quint wrote: »
    Obviously you can't give Ferrara the job after 1 game! But good performance all the same.
    If the Lazio game this weekend goes as well as the Siena game did I can see Ferrara getting the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I hope not, Ciro has never been a coach of anything. He needs to be allowed grow without the pressure that'd be on him at Juve.

Gasperini or Ballardini, maybe, but I reckon Prandelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I wonder if Zola is a possibility?

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    If the Lazio game this weekend goes as well as the Siena game did I can see Ferrara getting the job.

A decision purely based on heart, i'd love to see Ferrara get it. Absolute juve legend.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I hope not, Ciro has never been a coach of anything. He needs to be allowed grow without the pressure that'd be on him at Juve.

Gasperini or Ballardini, maybe, but I reckon Prandelli
    Ciro is Lippi's assistant with the Azzurri. He's also head of the youth sector of Juventus. But yeah, he's never been a manager.

It won't be Gasperini.

It seems like it'll be Conte and he'll bring Stefano Guberti with him from Bari.

• Advertisement

Another legend. Scored plenty of classy goals, but one of his best moments was stopping to tie his laces after he got subbed off to waste time against Madrid in the Champions League. Almost started a riot from the Mardid fans:D

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport: Conte was in a meeting with the board last night and discussed what players they should get for next season.

Advertisement