Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fully Manual Film SLRs

• 18-05-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a quick question. I have had a DSLR for about a year. Loving learning how to use it, shooting in manual now. Having fun trying out different combinations of aperture and shutter speed etc.
    I am bidding on a Nikon Fm10, fully manual film SLR. seems like a good deal and a good camera. My thinking is that this camera will help me understand the process of photography better. Am I right?
    I know the increased cost of film and processing etc and if it is completely manual the likelihod of the first few roles being wrecked as I learn how to use it.
    Has anyone experience of manual film slr shooting?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its not hard really... there be an exposure meter as you look through the view finder, keep that in the middle and your shots are genwerally correctly exposed. film dev costs arent huge.... consider bw film and home dev and scan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

When I first started shooting many moons ago with a Practika... I learned how to meter fairly quickly, after aperture and shutter speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Hi,
    I have a quick question. I have had a DSLR for about a year. Loving learning how to use it, shooting in manual now. Having fun trying out different combinations of aperture and shutter speed etc.
    I am bidding on a Nikon Fm10, fully manual film SLR. seems like a good deal and a good camera. My thinking is that this camera will help me understand the process of photography better. Am I right?
    I know the increased cost of film and processing etc and if it is completely manual the likelihod of the first few roles being wrecked as I learn how to use it.

I went through this same thought process a few months back and ended up buying a Nikon FE. Haven't regretted it for a moment. In my case I feel its nice to strip away the fancy DSLR "features" and probably as a result my photographing is more considered and patient. In a strange way I feel more connected with photographic process as a result too.

But don't get me wrong I wont be ditching my DSLR either thoough, but I find the manual camera a very nice change.

The other great thing is the low cost manual focus super sharp prime lens you can pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My thinking is that this camera will help me understand the process of photography better. Am I right?

A manual 35mm camera will not necessarily teach you anything you could not learn with a DSLR set to manual if you use it as you would a 35mm. It can teach you about film and give yo an appreciation of it as a medium.

35mm cameras have meters, and they tend to work quite well, It's not like you have to lick your finger, hold it up, guess the exposure parameters and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

cnocbui wrote: »
    A manual 35mm camera will not necessarily teach you anything you could not learn with a DSLR set to manual if you use it as you would a 35mm. It can teach you about film and give yo an appreciation of it as a medium.

Agree with this. If the camera has coupled meter, and you follow it, the only difference from auto exposure will be your reaction times. Plus the lag between taking the shot and seeing your results kinda inhibits experimentation.

I'm not trying to discourage you though - film is imo 10 times as much fun as digital :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

The real fun (and saving) starts when you learn how to develop your own film. Not very hard and you don't even need a darkroom to do that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I used all-manual Nikon (35mm) and Mamiya (120mm) film cameras for years before I moved to digital.

They served me well and I still remember the sheer thrill when I got my first set of slides (from Kodachrome 64). Thereafter, I shot mostly slide film (Velvia became my emulsion of choice) with the odd B&W and, very rarely, colour print film.

I learned B&W developing and printing and that too was a real thrill - with B&W film you really have to do it yourself for best results.

I suppose the all manual cameras gave me a good grounding in the basics of photography -the relationship of aperture and shutter speed, etc. It's just as easy with automatic digital cameras however if you have a mind to learn it - use manual mode and take it from there. It's not rocket science.

Would I go back to film?

Never.

Regards,

Advertisement