Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade

• 18-05-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Some preliminary trade figures were released today, possibly a sign (for the EuroArea (EA), at least) that the collapse is levelling off... (No jokes about second derivatives.)

trademonth.jpg

tradegrowth.jpg

A view on total trade from some countries:
    totaltrade.jpg

EA exports to China fell 17% between the period Jan-Feb of '08 and '09, but imports only fell by 7%. Feel free to theorize and hypothesize about an incoming trade collapse or great recovery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Too early to tell I think. At least another month's figures is needed to draw any strong conclusions from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

nesf wrote: »
    Too early to tell I think. At least another month's figures is needed to draw any strong conclusions from it.
    Aye, the data will also be revised (several times) over the coming months, it's effectively equivalent to inflation flash estimates. A positive sign would be the 30% drop in machinery and vehicles recovering. I'm not (realistically) expecting a recovery soon, but one can hope... Anyone else picturing Ricardo with a 'Yes, we can' placard?

ricardoobama.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Japan's trade figures are terrible and the baltic index hasnt recovered. When I look at anything from the financial market side of the fence it still seem like we are coming to the end of bounce that started in Oct.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Japan's trade figures are terrible and the baltic index hasnt recovered. When I look at anything from the financial market side of the fence it still seem like we are coming to the end of bounce that started in Oct.
    True, Japan's export numbers were a disaster, down nearly 50%.

:( Not so good figures for April

EATradeApr09.jpg

EATradeAnnualGApr09.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

RE THE FIRST CHART.
    Would an increase from feb to march be a normal seasonal factor. Or is it already seasonally adjusted?

Advertisement