Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a scooter abroad without a bike license?

• 18-05-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Heading to Portugal the end of this week.
    Never tried to rent a scooter before but it might be handy this time.
    Problem is my full license doesn't have bikes on it, while my provisional did.
    Wasn't sure what the story was with bikes when I applied for my full license so I left it off (only passed in a car).

Am I out of luck for renting one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I remember my oul fella renting a bike in France a few years ago. He doesnt have bikes on his licence. I think as long as its 150cc or under, you can rent it without a bike licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

under 50cc with full car licence

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you will get a 50cc moped in most places with your passport but best to bring your licence with you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to motorbike forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Cheers lads, was only looking at getting something under 50cc anyway.

How easy are they to ride? Been a mountain biker for years, but never been on a motor bike of any sort before!

• Advertisement

RichyX wrote: »
    Cheers lads, was only looking at getting something under 50cc anyway.

How easy are they to ride? Been a mountain biker for years, but never been on a motor bike of any sort before!

Scooters themselves are dead easy, but I'd be hesitant renting one in another country on the other side of the road if it was new to me. Especially if I didn't know the local roads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If you do rent one take it easy and please please wear a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

Hi, I am renting a 50cc scooter in Spain (cant get a 125 as i'm under 21)

Does anyone have any idea where I could get some good knee and elbow pads, I dont fancy wearing my leathers in 30 degree heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Twist and go scooters are dead easy to ride, just take it easy for the first hour till you get the feel of it.
    The main thing to remember when driving on the other (Wrong!) side of the road is to go around roundabouts anti-clockwise. Its very easy to forget when you approach one on the continent coz you are just used to going around them clockwise here. I nearly did it in Turkey last year- if I had of I would have come face to face with a bus :eek:

I've only driven a car not a bike on the other side of the road, but I found I had to concentrate on left hand turns as well, plus making sure to look the correct way when pulling out of junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Watch out on roundabouts while abroad. It can be confusing having to look in the other direction.

Advertisement