Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gruden replaces Kornheiser on MNF

• 18-05-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭

Nice move for Chucky

Tony K apparently pulling out as his fear of flying has escalated (if you pardon the pun)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What is it with NFL commentators and flying? I'm bloody delighted though, kornheiser was the biggest dick out off all the nfl commentators on all networks and that really takes some doing. Him and Joe thiesman commentating together is an experience I will never forget unfortunatly, ugh. I was so glad when they got rid of thiesman and have been counting down the days until they got rid of kornheiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What is it with NFL commentators and flying? I'm bloody delighted though, kornheiser was the biggest dick out off all the nfl commentators on all networks and that really takes some doing. Him and Joe thiesman commentating together is an experience I will never forget unfortunatly, ugh. I was so glad when they got rid of thiesman and have been counting down the days until they got rid of kornheiser.

I really like Kornheiser but he didn't work on MNF. his sarcasm looked out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Gruden was pretty decent on NFL Networks Draft Coverage so he should be ok but then again a cardboard cutout is an improvment over Kornheiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Kornheiser was a spanner of the highest order. He's the guy in conversations who interrupts what people are saying to make stupid jokes. He was supposed to represent the "everyman" I suppose, but the everyman can represent himself from the comfort of his couch. I want analysis.

Gruden, however, has attitude while also being genuinely knowledgable about the game, and also kinda modest and a touch awkward. He was refreshing to watch on NFLN, and he'll be a step up from Tony "Let's bring this conversation back to Brett Favre" Kornheiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Gruden was pretty decent on NFL Networks Draft Coverage so he should be ok but then again a cardboard cutout is an improvment over Kornheiser

Money talks for Gruden, here is his opinion on ESPN last year when ESPN accused without any proof that his QB at the time Gradkowski was involved in a betting scandal:

“I don’t watch ESPN. I don’t believe half the f–king people on the channel, personally – no disrespect. But if Bruce Gradkowski is throwing games in Toledo, how in the hell does he lead the NCAA in passing percentages? That is a crock. You know, these reports make me sick — really. I don’t believe [there is] any truth to it, and I’ll go to my grave believing that. I hope ESPN 3 or 4 has real sources behind this story, because it has nothing to do with the kid. He’s a great kid. He wants to be great. This is very uncharacteristic, in my opinion, of ‘professional’ journalism.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hazys wrote: »
    Money talks for Gruden, here is his opinion on ESPN last year when ESPN accused without any proof that his QB at the time Gradkowski was involved in a betting scandal:

“I don’t watch ESPN. I don’t believe half the f–king people on the channel, personally – no disrespect. But if Bruce Gradkowski is throwing games in Toledo, how in the hell does he lead the NCAA in passing percentages? That is a crock. You know, these reports make me sick — really. I don’t believe [there is] any truth to it, and I’ll go to my grave believing that. I hope ESPN 3 or 4 has real sources behind this story, because it has nothing to do with the kid. He’s a great kid. He wants to be great. This is very uncharacteristic, in my opinion, of ‘professional’ journalism.”

How does this prove money talks for him? I read it 3 times and fail to see that point. All it shows is that he finds ESPN accusations of Gradkowski throwing games false and unproffesional reporting. In fact the last line states that saying that the said reports are out of character for professional journalism you would expect from ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Is this the same Kornheiser from Pardon The Interuption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Is this the same Kornheiser from Pardon The Interuption?
    Yep, same one. Search for some of his Washington Post articles. Really interesting stuff.

MNF just didn't suit him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How does this prove money talks for him? Well it wasnt the most glowing reference for a sports network he respects I read it 3 times and fail to see that point. All it shows is that he finds ESPN accusations of Gradkowski throwing games false and unproffesional reporting. In fact the last line states that saying that the said reports are out of character for professional journalism you would expect from ESPN. I think the '' around professional are for sarcasim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

You still havent shown where you see money talk for Gruden in that article. And I know the "" are sarcasm. ESPN are supposed to be a professional media outlet and Gruden show his dislike for their attitudes towards the article they wrote hence calling them "professional"

But you still failed to answer my question. But you rather edit my piece and show me something I already know from reading the article. Everyone including Gruden know ESPN have written some abosolutely ridiculous articles in their time. But Im still not seeing where money talks for Gruden in that piece. I wasnt asking you to point out his dislike towards ESPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Kornheiser is great on PTI,wrote really well and had an excellent radio show but just wasnt that great on MNF.His style just didnt suit it.

He's criticizing ESPN for it's lack of journalistic integrity which he is correct for especially considering there are a lot of bad writers and columnists on that site and network. I don't see anywhere in that quote which says he wouldn't like to be an employer of ESPN.

Yes it wasn't a glowering report of ESPN but at the end of the day he got offered a once in a lifetime chance of being in the MNF booth and at the end of the day with that sort of opportunity he's likely to convienently forget what he said about them in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Kornheiser was terrible, thank God he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought he was second best/worst of the three last season. I won't miss him but I'd like to see them get rid of Jaworski as well, for me he is the worst ever. Tirico is an excellent play by play commentator imo.

Gruden looks to have upset some people…

NFL network angry at Gruden

Do not invite Gruden and NFL Network czar Steve Bornstein to the same event anytime soon, or ever. Bornstein wants to wring Gruden's neck. The NFL Network is furious with Gruden for jilting the network after he'd verbally agreed to a deal to work there. The former Bucs coach had been very good on the NFL Network, colorful and opinionated, at the NFL scouting combine and the NFL draft, and the network had finalized everything but the signature on the paper for Gruden to begin working there immediately. In fact, he was slated to be at NFL Films this week to begin his job full time. But ESPN swooped in, offered Gruden the Monday night seat vacated by Tony Kornheiser (how convenient), and Gruden took it.

The NFL Network planned to put Gruden on the air all season, then move him to the Thursday night football booth alongside Bob Papa, replacing Cris Collinsworth. Now it's back to ground zero in its search for a voice to pair with Papa.

One of the reasons the NFL Network is so steamed, I'm told, is that no one from the Gruden camp called Bornstein to tell him. In many cases like this, the league might work with its TV partners to tell them, "Hey, hands off,'' or "Play fair here,'' but that didn't happen here. ESPN got to Gruden too fast.

Now there are two people who should have been NFL Network stars this fall -- Gruden and ace reporter Adam Schefter -- who will instead work for ESPN. And the NFL Network is not pleased about the defection of either one.

Advertisement