Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Closures Coolaney

Options
  • 18-05-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

The council, in their wisdom have decided on 2 major road closures on the 2 minor roads that connect Coolaney to the outside world.

The first one begins tomorrow - despite having NO public notices published either in the newspapers or even on their own website. The "Hungry Rock" road will be closed form 8am tomorrow & Wednesday. I only found out when I saw a sign in O'Gradys today.

(The Hungry Rock Road is the one to Ballisodare)

Then on June 1st, the road from Colooney to Coolaney will be closed daily from 8am - 6pm until the 4th of August, so Coolaney residents will be forced to take the Ballisodare route to get into town, which will cause absolute chaos.

The notice for this was published on the 6th of May & they allowed a measly 5 days for any submissions or complaints. The closing date has now passed.

I had problems before with the council closing roads near my last house. When I complained to the roads division, they said that it was sufficient for them to publish road closure notices in the Sligo Champion (which I & many others never read) & on their website (which I & many others never read & some don't have internet access).

How hard would it be for the council to put up signs on the relevant roads a few weeks before the proposed closures? Also, how much more sensible would it be for them to close the roads an hour later at 9am, when most people have already made it to work/ college/ school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

That's crazy, I saw the Hungry Rock one closed today....love the sign in Ballisodare signposting the alternative way to 'Cooaney'.
    Didn't know about the other one going to be closed....that's a pain in the arse, especially as it's co-inciding with Junior/leaving cert times.

I hate the Hungry Rock road, so many accidents have happened on it. So I reckon I'll be using the Green Road...although that'll add a fair bit of mileage onto my journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The council, in their wisdom have decided on 2 major road closures on the 2 minor roads that connect Coolaney to the outside world.

The first one begins tomorrow - despite having NO public notices published either in the newspapers or even on their own website. The "Hungry Rock" road will be closed form 8am tomorrow & Wednesday. I only found out when I saw a sign in O'Gradys today.

(The Hungry Rock Road is the one to Ballisodare)

Then on June 1st, the road from Colooney to Coolaney will be closed daily from 8am - 6pm until the 4th of August, so Coolaney residents will be forced to take the Ballisodare route to get into town, which will cause absolute chaos.
    #

The notice for this was published on the 6th of May & they allowed a measly 5 days for any submissions or complaints. The closing date has now passed.

I had problems before with the council closing roads near my last house. When I complained to the roads division, they said that it was sufficient for them to publish road closure notices in the Sligo Champion (which I & many others never read) & on their website (which I & many others never read & some don't have internet access).

How hard would it be for the council to put up signs on the relevant roads a few weeks before the proposed closures? Also, how much more sensible would it be for them to close the roads an hour later at 9am, when most people have already made it to work/ college/ school?

With Sligo County Council "Senior Executive Engineer" means "Thick Ignorant Bastard". I know - I have the correspondence to prove it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »
    That's crazy, I saw the Hungry Rock one closed today....love the sign in Ballisodare signposting the alternative way to 'Cooaney'.
    Didn't know about the other one going to be closed....that's a pain in the arse, especially as it's co-inciding with Junior/leaving cert times.

I hate the Hungry Rock road, so many accidents have happened on it. So I reckon I'll be using the Green Road...although that'll add a fair bit of mileage onto my journeys.

It's ridiculous alright - I wouldn't mind so much if it was to facilitate the widening & resurfacing of the road, which is long overdue, but it's for works to the group water scheme.

Which one is the Green Road - is that the one that leads onto the Galway road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It's ridiculous alright - I wouldn't mind so much if it was to facilitate the widening & resurfacing of the road, which is long overdue, but it's for works to the group water scheme.

Which one is the Green Road - is that the one that leads onto the Galway road?

Yep that's the Green Road.

Could really tell that the Hungry Rock Road was closed today with the amount of muppets on the other road today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »
    Yep that's the Green Road.

Could really tell that the Hungry Rock Road was closed today with the amount of muppets on the other road today.

Just think how bad it will be when we're all trying to use the ****ty Hungry Rock road for the guts of 10 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement