Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic traditional irish albums list

Options
  • 18-05-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I have recently began discovering traditional irish music & am currently looking for classic album recommendations,
    So far ive been recommended & enjoyed:

Sean O Riadas Mise Eire,
    The Bothy Bands old hag you have killed me,
    Derek Bells two Turlough O'Carolan albums
    Planxty live 2004

What other bands/albums along the similar lines as above do people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

DeDanann - best of, OR the collection

Planxty - planxty

Brendan Begley - It could be a good night yet

Stockton's wing - Take A Chance

Great cds for pure music. If you want songs and such these won't be up your alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Here are some classics:

Matt Molloy, Tommy Peoples, Paul Brady - Wonderful album, great selection of tunes from Sligo and Donegal. really energetic.

Bothy Band - 1975 - The best of the bothies' albums in my opinion. Star studded line up.

Noel Hill and Tony Mac Mahon in Knocknagree - pure trad, right down to the spnotaneous dancing and roaring by the crowd in the background

Kevin Burke - Seeney's Dream - Burke is a fine fiddle player, and a lot of people say he has gotten much better with age. But these recordings of him in his early 20's show just how wonderful he really is.

Tommy Peoples and Daithi Sproule - The Iron Man - If you want master fiddle playing, Peoples is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Noticed Philip King is presenting a program on classic Irish albums.

The great Andy Irvine & Paul Brady album featured.

Just bought it..a great discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Here are 10 of the very best! Anything by any of these guys is recommended. Some of these might overlap with recommendations on other posts - which probably underlines how good they are!

Noel Hill & Tony McMahon - I gCnoc na Graí (In Knocknagree)
    Jackie Daly agus Seamus Creagh
    Mick O'Brien & Caoimhín O'Raghallaigh - Kitty Lie Over
    Ronan Browne & Peter O'Loughlin - The South West Wind
    Frankie Gavin & Paul Brock - Ómós do Joe Cooley
    Catherine McEvoy, Caoimhín Ó'Raghallaigh & Micheál
    Ó'Raghallaigh - Comb your hair and curl it
    David Power - My love is in America
    John Carty - Yeah that's all it is
    Martin Hayes - Welcome here again
    Iarla O'Lionaird - The seven steps to mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

these are real must haves
    seamus begley and steve cooney-meitheal
    gerry o'connor-time to time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

I'm glad I found this thread.

Does anyone know what the best collections of Sean nos singing are? Either male or female voices. I have been building up a good collection of traditional Irish music but I love the Sean nos singing the best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 myshka

dolores keane john faulkner broken hearted i wander
    dolores keane john faulkner eamonn curann farewell to eirinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Thanks Myshka, I'll look into those CDs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Does anyone know what the best collections of Sean nos singing are? Either male or female voices. I have been building up a good collection of traditional Irish music but I love the Sean nos singing the best.

Here's one of the best "Seosamh O'hEanaí O Mo Dúchas/From My Tradition Sraith 1 & Sraith 2" (Gael Linn CEFCD 191 2007).
    Also anything by Áine Uí Cheallaigh, Lillis O Laoire, Ann Mulqueen, also Nicolas Toibin's CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Would I get all these records in Claddagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Would I get all these records in Claddagh?

I think they have them all except Anne Mulqueen, but you can try http://www.irishmusicmail.com or hear her on the Comhaltas website. BTW spelling error on my part, it should be Nioclas Toibin (instead of Nicolas).

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Tradnuts

there is a decent selection of Sean-Nos at http://www.irishtradtunes.com/www/catalog/index.php?cPath=23 to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Always enjoyed the great Joe Heaney. Here's a video of him singing some of his repertoire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Iarla O Lionaird of course
    Danu - O Dheara, 'Sheanduine & An Cailin Deas Cruite na mBo
    Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh - Slan le Maigh & An Spealadoir
    Caitlin Maude - Caitlin
    Padraigin Ni Uallachain
    Eithne Ni Uallachain
    Clannad
    Finola O Siochru
    Seosamh O Héanai singing Cunla
    Darach O Cathain singing Oro sé do bheatha
    Mary Black singing Mo Ghile Mear
    (I'm sorry but don't have fadas on my AZERTY keyboard) anyway that's a sample of what I like

Advertisement