Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found/blocks/roof tender

• 18-05-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am going to send off the plan of my house to a few builders to price, phase 1, foundation, blocks and roof.

is there anything special I should put on the tender. I want to put in 80mm insulation in the cavity but was told by a builder if you put extra in the inside it would be better there than extra in the cavity. I was thinking something in the lines of 80 in the cavity and 25DL in the inside (external walls), he mentioned 50 cavity and 30/40DL. maybe someone might give an opinion on this.

If anyone lately sent out plans to tender is it just a matter of sticking it in the post or is there a format for the letter, maybe post a template if it might help. .

Thanks, ;)
    LNB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

MrLNB,
    You would be well advised to get professional advice and perhaps an architectural technician or similar to draft tender documents for the items of work you have mentioned.
    You will, no doubt, get all kinds of advice here re; BER etc. and that will be informative but you need someone competent to put togehter a tender package. Time and money well spent. Otherwise the errors or omissions could be much more costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

MrLNB,
    You would be well advised to get professional advice and perhaps an architectural technician or similar to draft tender documents for the items of work you have mentioned.
    You will, no doubt, get all kinds of advice here re; BER etc. and that will be informative but you need someone competent to put togehter a tender package. Time and money well spent. Otherwise the errors or omissions could be much more costly.

I am very thankful for your reply, but while I am not a builder (i don't work as one) I am well aware of what is involved/needed/important in a build. I just see no point in paying someone to point out something to me which I am already aware of. The professional people mentioned above charge way way to much in my opinion. (this is not a fact, but just my opinion). Everybody is different, I know some people who could build a house themselves (called builders) and I know others at the other end of the scale who dont know a hammer from a shovel. I know a bit more about hammers and shovels :D:D:D

cheers again ;)

surely its better to have a substance with the best U value as close to the heat ie. insulation then block then cavity then block again.

I was always going to do the DL myself, No way would i give that contract to someone. . .My cousin fitted the whole house himself, took a while but saved a pocket. .

would you be saying to fill the cavity and then apply the DL myself

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MrLNB wrote: »
    surely its better to have a substance with the best U value as close to the heat ie. insulation then block then cavity then block again.

no....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The professional people mentioned above charge way way to much in my opinion.

Not getting any advice free from me so

• Advertisement

sydb and sinner great postings guys, much appreciate the effort. . . .

sinner, no, i wont be paying any sort of % for advice.
    As I said I don't believe in them.

keep up the good work;)

LNB

Architect = this is what I want you to build
    client = this is what I can afford
    Builder = this is what's possible

Architect = this is what I want you to build
    client = this is what I can afford
    Builder = this is what's possible

slightly skewed thinking there mrlnb...

client = this is what i want and how much i have...
    architect = well this is what you can get for your money...
    builder = ah good, someone has though about the construction already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

I am well aware of what is involved/needed/important in a build. I just see no point in paying someone to point out something to me which I am already aware of.
    cheers again ;)

Why ask for help then if you already know everything??
    The professional people mentioned above charge way way to much in my opinion. (this is not a fact, but just my opinion).

Genius!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    slightly skewed thinking there mrlnb...

client = this is what i want and how much i have...
    architect = well this is what you can get for your money...
    builder = ah good, someone has though about the construction already....

just go watch the latest season of "Designs for life" and repost. . .;)

Why ask for help then if you already know everything??

Genius!!!

. . . . . lol. .. I enjoy these threads once they get going. . . :D

• Advertisement

Watch this one

http://www.rte.ie/tv/designsforlife/av_index.html

These people got into difficulties beacuse "they knew best"

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Watch this one

http://www.rte.ie/tv/designsforlife/av_index.html

These people got into difficulties beacuse "they knew best"

see post 3. I wont comment on other individual cases, I wouldn't advise anyone to refuse professional help if they thought they needed it/nor if they had no clue of what they were doing.

but thank for the link, i wanted to check something out in one of these programs for sydb. .

LNB

just go watch the latest season of "Designs for life" and repost. . .;)

see the episode where the architect wouldnt take on the 'direct labour' job because he knew it would turn to sh1t....

the designs for life programme is a prime example of all that is wrong with irish planning and construction today

sydthebeat wrote: »
    see the episode where the architect wouldnt take on the 'direct labour' job because he knew it would turn to sh1t....

the designs for life programme is a prime example of all that is wrong with irish planning and construction today

I know tell me about it, is that in episode 4 when they had a budget of 250, then the architect said its not enough. then he pushed it to 350, which ended up been 370 in total. if the couple thought they were buried in Debt they are now. . Architects are so expensive, why didn't he scale them back. My sister appointed one for her build 3 years ago, and after planning hassle with the council and a bill from the arch at 8500 without turning a sod they walked away, and never looked back. took on an engineer and are living happily now. all they wanted was a home. not a pod as they say.. .what ever a pod is. . .

I thought the program made idiots of the participants, i mean the couples who were building now. . . . hey, i don't know which episode, but do you remember the ones who bought the house, then levelled it and started from scratch. . 750K i think when it was finished, , , and i wouldn't mind but the new design was only put together in conjunction with the old house, (which i even think the presenter thought distasteful) I thought that this was a clear cut case where they should have been given more advice.. . I bet if they told them that ok, so the site for your 340K house is costing you 410K, they would have soon thrown a roof on and live happily. . . I just think this is bad financial planning. . .

Mistake 1 . Not to take Architects advice to knock building
    Mistake 2 . Not to take Architects advice to budget min €600k
    Mistake 3. Not to appoint contractor €720k - they could build themselves for less . They "knew what they were doing"
    Mistake 4 . They knock building after all - but don't stop for a re design . Thay spend all this money and effort on a compromise - not really the building they want . They essentially re build the orginal building , modified . How stupid was that
    Mistake 5 . Suffer the stress of self building + earning living as usual. " didn't realize how complicated demanding it all is "
    Mistake 6. Convert attic - hundreds of ft2 of in reality un used space to heat + keep clean

Final cost , that they admitted to anyway , was €680k . Months late . How much was the cost of the earnings lost due to time devoted to managing the build ?

Advertisement