Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cannot sleep with restlessness

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i had severe pain and was taking codeine. When I got treatment for the pain i stopped the codeine and sinc thenhave not had a night sleep. When i go to drift off to sleep my legs or arms tingle/tickle and i have to move them and that wakes me up and it goes on and on and i am exhausted. Think it is called restless legs syndrome. I did a search and found old posts but wondered if anyone has any new info. Anyone try a bar of soap in bed?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

my mother has this, can be a lack of potaasium, try eating a banana before bed. Do you have nerve damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my mother has this, can be a lack of potaasium, try eating a banana before bed. Do you have nerve damage?
    no nerve damage, i think it is coming off the codeine. will get some bananas, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If it continues to annoy you can see your doctor about. I know a girl who has wrestless leg syndrome and her gp perscribed a very small dose of a commonly used painkiller for nerve damage and it has completely cured her. He told her it's very common and that this treatment works for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

chilly wrote: »
    of a commonly used painkiller .
    what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

what is it?

It's called Neurontin. It's used in small doses to help wrestless leg syndrome but it's prescription only so you'd need to see your doctor about it. You should probably see your doctor anyway to make sure it's not a symptom of any other illness.

Otherwise perhaps ask at the chemist. I think there are supposed to be a few over the counter treatments now and a chemist could probably advise you and also tell you if you should see a Dr. Antistax is one natural over the counter treatment as far as I know thats supposed to be good. Good luck with it anyway. Hope you find something that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement