Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with C++

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm having a bit of diffucultly with understanding this below as it seems to contradict itself. Maybe i'm just reading it wrong. Can anyone help me with it and point out which is right as is driving me crazy and dont want to go ahead until certain am right. Its about the unsigned intergers being minus when it states in the second picture they cant be.
    FirstPic.jpg
    SecondPic.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah its wrong in the second picture. 'unsigned' means it can hold values >=0 or non-negative values. It explains it in the last picture there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Thanks for your help. Would anyone be able to suggest a better book as the one i'm using "C++ A Beginners guide by Herbert Schildt" has this fault and loads of others like it and i'm only 2 chapters in. I've no faith in being able to learn c++ from the book properly as i'm sure alot of the faults I wont be able to pick them up especially in later chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I think it's a bad idea to start learning by reading a programming book cover to cover. Come up with some little programs to do and just keep at them, use the net as a reference, google when you're stuck, you'll learn way faster and can use the book to its full potential then

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

I took a look at Herbert Schildt's site, but he doesn't seem to have any errata up for that book. Pity, sounds like pretty dodgy errors there.

I seem to recall I found Deitel & Deitel's "C++ - How To Program" pretty good when I started out, comprehensive stuff, well written. Latest edition appears to be quite expensive, though you can probably find plenty of second-hand copies around - it's a pretty common book for university courses and the like, so students will always be getting rid of some.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Program-Harvey-Paul-Deitel/dp/0137158025

Other than that, an Amazon search should turn up plenty of options, check their ratings and you should be OK. As grasshopa points out, plenty of hands-on practice of your own (not just following book examples) is also essential if you're going to learn how to program. A good book is probably no harm for some structure when you first start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I took a look at Herbert Schildt's site, but he doesn't seem to have any errata up for that book. Pity, sounds like pretty dodgy errors there.

I seem to recall I found Deitel & Deitel's "C++ - How To Program" pretty good when I started out, comprehensive stuff, well written. Latest edition appears to be quite expensive, though you can probably find plenty of second-hand copies around - it's a pretty common book for university courses and the like, so students will always be getting rid of some.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Program-Harvey-Paul-Deitel/dp/0137158025

Other than that, an Amazon search should turn up plenty of options, check their ratings and you should be OK. As grasshopa points out, plenty of hands-on practice of your own (not just following book examples) is also essential if you're going to learn how to program. A good book is probably no harm for some structure when you first start though.

Thanks for this, have picked up the book in easons today. Turned out cheaper there than on the internet (€60). Yea i'm forever trying to mess about with programs and even now would be 50% messing about with programs, viewing links & videos on the internet and the other 50% learning from books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement