Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burned out??????

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

ive spent the last week at home doing 8 hour sessions and just cat get me head back round to it:(,,,,am i experienceing burn out???

is there any one in the same boat??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Your procrastinating, trying to attach a reason to not wanting to study, when in effect, you just don't want to study.

Just suck it up and take a book out, you'll only regret it if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I had a similar thing last week, was doing about 6 hours a day and by Thursday couldn't concentrate at all. Part of it may have just come down to the fact that I'd studied everything so many times over, though.

Give yourself a break and get back to it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

How do you have the time to do 6 hour sessions and be a moderator, you truly are a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

I had a similar thing last week, was doing about 6 hours a day and by Thursday couldn't concentrate at all. Part of it may have just come down to the fact that I'd studied everything so many times over, though.

its a worrying how you say youve studied everything so many times
    has everone gone over all their coarses by now like,
    tbh im not fully revised anything
    i still have to do;

english-learn a few MB essays
    -gona cover 3 essays in poetry bishop longley wallcott

maths
    algbra
    complex no.....etc
    proofs of trigs and other proofs

physics
    nuclear
    particle physics
    and i wana go through i all again,it has t be very precises

geography-(not learning essays)
    alot of regional
    human
    geocology-still dont know weither t do a biome or not

T.G. (better known as T.D. better known as D.C.G.)
    havent a clue how much of mechanisms 2 cover
    da roads question and skew bore thingy
    (not doing any curved questions)
    THIS SUBJECT IS PISSIN ME OFF. new coarse, crap (1)sample paper given and no folens papers t be got, and they cant possibly give an easy exam because .....il start a trend bout this it so *****

engineering-had to teachmy self every thing bout this-teachers a complete egit.would help me wit me project another very toughy subject 4 me
    but il get the theory done in a day

irish(o)
    the whole coarse-just wana d3 tbh

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

munchie14 wrote: »

its a worrying how you say youve studied everything so many times
    has everone gone over all their coarses by now like,
    tbh im not fully revised anything
    i still have to do;

english-learn a few MB essays
    -gona cover 3 essays in poetry bishop longley wallcott

maths
    algbra
    complex no.....etc
    proofs of trigs and other proofs

physics
    nuclear
    particle physics
    and i wana go through i all again,it has t be very precises

geography-(not learning essays)
    alot of regional
    human
    geocology-still dont know weither t do a biome or not

T.G. (better known as T.D. better known as D.C.G.)
    havent a clue how much of mechanisms 2 cover
    da roads question and skew bore thingy
    (not doing any curved questions)
    THIS SUBJECT IS PISSIN ME OFF. new coarse, crap (1)sample paper given and no folens papers t be got, and they cant possibly give an easy exam because .....il start a trend bout this it so *****

engineering-had to teachmy self every thing bout this-teachers a complete egit.would help me wit me project another very toughy subject 4 me
    but il get the theory done in a day

irish(o)
    the whole coarse-just wana d3 tbh

:(:(:(

I'm so glad I quit DCG. Biology is such a breeze compared to it! Give me adenosine triphosphate any day!

I find if I spend too long in the house staying for say 5-6 hours in a row, I just lose focus. Best cure is to go for a walk, a smoke, or get some fresh air. Actually cycling does the world of good.

I also lose focus if the subject is boring... Like Irish history. Oh my God. I love history, find Europe + America fascinating, but there is SO MUCH Irish history it makes me want to cry. It's so boring! Ugh...

Rant over. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

meathawk wrote: »
    How do you have the time to do 6 hour sessions and be a moderator, you truly are a godsend.
    Well, I should mention that I had the week off. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i dont know anything for theese exams.cant remember anything and ive started studying in poxy october and now its all gone to mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Did my leaving cert last year.
    I found it harder to study by saying right, I'm gonna do x y z, for w minutes.
    Work through what you can. Some things take longer to cover than others.
    Do not, DO NOT, burn yourself out. Get a decent night's sleep. I'd my first end of year exam in college this morning, had 3 hours sleep. Did awful.
    Don't rely on energy drinks, or even coffee. Have breakfast before exams.
    Do summarise your notes. Use bullet points. Keep sentences short.
    Once you've everything summarised, summarise that. Then you have just two or three pages to look over the morning of the exam.
    I naturally don't panic over exams, but I know others aren't the same, but regardless I'll still say don't stress yourself.
    Take a short break for every hour or two of study. Everyone studies differently, but my experience is still that reading notes and writing things out for 8 hours straight is only gonna cramp your hand (also important) and you probably won't take it all in.
    Don't spend all your time writing the night before your exam. The last thing you want is your hand to cramp up. This happened an old teacher of mine in her leaving cert. She had to dictate the rest of her exams.

Be smart. If you're finding something difficult, ask for help. If you find you're taking nothing in, reading the same page over and over, get away from the room you're studying in. Go for a walk, chat to a family member, play with the dog. Not tv, too easy to get comfy and stay there. Also, my personal advice is not to study in your bedroom, if there's any other room you have space and quietness in use it. Seriously. It's something small but helps a whole lot. It's what kick started my study last year. This year in college, I've one room, shared kitchen & bathroom. This means I study where I live/sleep.
    Get away from your studies now and again. Regularly even.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

Nanaki wrote: »
    Did my leaving cert last year.
    I found it harder to study by saying right, I'm gonna do x y z, for w minutes.
    Work through what you can. Some things take longer to cover than others.
    Do not, DO NOT, burn yourself out. Get a decent night's sleep. I'd my first end of year exam in college this morning, had 3 hours sleep. Did awful.
    Don't rely on energy drinks, or even coffee. Have breakfast before exams.
    Do summarise your notes. Use bullet points. Keep sentences short.
    Once you've everything summarised, summarise that. Then you have just two or three pages to look over the morning of the exam.
    I naturally don't panic over exams, but I know others aren't the same, but regardless I'll still say don't stress yourself.
    Take a short break for every hour or two of study. Everyone studies differently, but my experience is still that reading notes and writing things out for 8 hours straight is only gonna cramp your hand (also important) and you probably won't take it all in.
    Don't spend all your time writing the night before your exam. The last thing you want is your hand to cramp up. This happened an old teacher of mine in her leaving cert. She had to dictate the rest of her exams.

Be smart. If you're finding something difficult, ask for help. If you find you're taking nothing in, reading the same page over and over, get away from the room you're studying in. Go for a walk, chat to a family member, play with the dog. Not tv, too easy to get comfy and stay there. Also, my personal advice is not to study in your bedroom, if there's any other room you have space and quietness in use it. Seriously. It's something small but helps a whole lot. It's what kick started my study last year. This year in college, I've one room, shared kitchen & bathroom. This means I study where I live/sleep.
    Get away from your studies now and again. Regularly even.

thanks,,,but im afraid that im growing 2 fond of the breaks
    like plan 2day was
    9-10 bishop essay-not done fully
    10-11 regional geo ireland teitery activities
    11-12 mechanisms engineering
    12-1 ,,,,,,,,
    1-3 dcg paper questions
    3-6 3 sections of physics
    6-7,,,,,,,,,,
    7-9 maths maths maths
    sleep:rolleyes:
    i dont live by this,, i take 10-15 min breaks when ever i get a block,like in maths or physics,,,,or when the notion comes into me head that i need food(this comfort eating begin to show:()and i mite work into does hr breaks ,depends

my problem is that the subjects,even topics within subjects that i find intersting are easy t study .. but when its irish or poetry or macbeth(writing essays:confused:) i just cant stand it, and when im doing the topc i like, and want to keep goin, i start 2 panic over the topics i hate, and that im excluding them,so i try to do that one,and my head starts to wonder,,,,at this stage im ,,,wel i dont know where i am,,im thinking bout just leaving poetry and macbeth and irish and fcuk learning stuf off????

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Imo nothing wrong with comfort eating, so long's you're still healthy.
    If you need a break, take it.
    I found, rather than writing out essays all the time, try making a summary of your main points for that essay, and put in a few sentences on each point. Then maybe get a new page and try fleshing that out a bit.
    Work however you find suits you and you retain the information

• Advertisement
Advertisement