Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHICH SAT NAV DO YOU PREFER ..POLL

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Tries on another thread let try again as cant find a lot of answers

WHICH NAV IS BEST FOR IRELAND

tomtom
    Garmin
    Navman
    Mobile Based
    Ebay Chinese Navs

WHICH NAV IS BEST FOR Rep of IRELAND 63 votes

TOMTOM
    0% 0 votes
    GARMIN
    20% 13 votes
    NAVMAN
    71% 45 votes
    MOBILE SOFTWARES
    3% 2 votes
    Sony
    4% 3 votes
    Snooper
    0% 0 votes
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

topdost wrote: »
    Tries on another thread let try again as cant find a lot of answers

WHICH NAV IS BEST FOR IRELAND

tomtom
    Garmin
    Navman
    Mobile Based
    Ebay Chinese Navs

Think you need to read this link

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

what's the point in having a poll if the results are hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

T-Square wrote: »
    what's the point in having a poll if the results are hidden?

you are right , didnt looked at that ,

as i started it and i was showig me results

ok so how do i unblock it for every one

mods can you do it for me

thx

Poll results at the moment

TOMTOM 13 46.43%
    GARMIN 14 50.00%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 3.57%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%

Voters: 28.

Polls to time of this post

TOMTOM 13 43.33%
    GARMIN 16 53.33%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 3.33%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%

• Advertisement

Poll results to time of post

TOMTOM 13 41.94%
    GARMIN 17 54.84%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 3.23%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%
    Voters: 31.

So Garmin winnig up to now , but no one has got any specific reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Tom Tom for accuracy & ease of use. I use it for work for residential addresses so accuracy is important to me. Other employee uses Garmin & thinks accuracy is not as good on it. I have an XL as I wear specs so the wider screen helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... but no one has got any specific reason
    Correct.

Garmin or Tomtom both do the same thing, go and try one out in a shop and see which interface you prefer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jenzz wrote: »
    Tom Tom for accuracy & ease of use. I use it for work for residential addresses so accuracy is important to me. Other employee uses Garmin & thinks accuracy is not as good on it.
    I'd doubt that there is any significant differrence between the accuracy of the units. If there is any difference between how many satellites each can lock onto then it's probably down to positioning on the dashboard.

jenzz wrote: »
    I have an XL as I wear specs so the wider screen helps.
    Now that is a genuine reason to pick one or the other type of unit.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats right

but what about maps , heard tomtom is dost update for irelad whats the truth

I think you ca get XL i garmin as well , or am i just dreamig :)

For Garmin go here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299#coverageTab

Then click "Click to view a detailed interactive map", and see if it covers where your need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Yeah thats right

but what about maps , heard tomtom is dost update for irelad whats the truth

I think you really need to do some hands-on research yourself - I have already suggested you read here about mapping and other elements of using a SatNav in Ireland - yet you are still asking the same question. You started your poll but now that still isn't enough. Seems to me that when this is all over you will make a purchase and blame someone for giving you the wrong advice and probably come on here and ask everyone to help you using it.
    Think Robinph has been trying to say the same thing but in a more subtle way which you do not seem to be copping on to - so I will say it - go buy one and find out yourself!!!!!

(Or perhaps you are just trying to promote one brand in a pseudo innocent way!!!!!????????)

garydubh wrote: »
    I think you really need to do some hands-on research yourself - I have already suggested you read here about mapping and other elements of using a SatNav in Ireland - yet you are still asking the same question. You started your poll but now that still isn't enough. Seems to me that when this is all over you will make a purchase and blame someone for giving you the wrong advice and probably come on here and ask everyone to help you using it.
    Think Robinph has been trying to say the same thing but in a more subtle way which you do not seem to be copping on to - so I will say it - go buy one and find out yourself!!!!!

(Or perhaps you are just trying to promote one brand in a pseudo innocent way!!!!!????????)

Its about the people who know what is good ad what is not

What is best way fall in a hole or ask someone if there is a hole on the way .

Why should I buy when good people are aroud and they dot mind sharig their experience

Buy now it looks like I am goig for Garmin anyways , I am from lodon ad here everoe loves tomtom , but with the help of poll I think Garmin is doig better in Ireland

And yeah you are right I am makig my decision o poll results but whats wrong in making informed decisions.

robinph wrote: »
    For Garmin go here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299#coverageTab

Then click "Click to view a detailed interactive map", and see if it covers where your need.

Thanks thats a good link .

Polls at time of Post

TOMTOM 15 39.47%
    GARMIN 22 57.89%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 2.63%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Anyone who'se voted for TomTom : Have you also used Garmin ?

I'm using a TomTom and am shocked at the mapping issues - estate roads missing / with incorrect names, even though they have been built for years - map "drifting" in rural areas - unit not distinguisihing between different classes of minor roads. It is very easy to use but the mapping issues mean i've lost faith in it - tried a Garmin and all the areas i've spotted seem to be mapped correctly on them, NavTeq actually drive the roads and the difference is obvious.

silverside wrote: »
    Anyone who'se voted for TomTom : Have you also used Garmin ?

I'm using a TomTom and am shocked at the mapping issues - estate roads missing / with incorrect names, even though they have been built for years - map "drifting" in rural areas - unit not distinguisihing between different classes of minor roads. It is very easy to use but the mapping issues mean i've lost faith in it - tried a Garmin and all the areas i've spotted seem to be mapped correctly on them, NavTeq actually drive the roads and the difference is obvious.

Thanks

Yeah that what i was exactly told and I was tryig to get it , so TOMTOM has map issues , where garmin is ok.

When you say NavTeq actually drive the roads what do you mean?

For some reason Oz mapping came up first on Google, but it's all the same methods anyway:

http://www.cnet.com.au/how-navteq-mapped-australia-339279771.htm

robinph wrote: »
    For some reason Oz mapping came up first on Google, but it's all the same methods anyway:

http://www.cnet.com.au/how-navteq-mapped-australia-339279771.htm

Sorry what you mea by Oz mappig . Things are gettig technical :eek:.

also navteq are they better tha garmin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

in very simple terms

Navteq = Garmin = MSN Live maps

Teleatlast = TomTom = Google maps

Sorry what you mea by Oz mappig . Things are gettig technical :eek:.
    Australia. :D

silverside wrote: »
    in very simple terms

Navteq = Garmin = MSN Live maps

Teleatlast = TomTom = Google maps

oh is it , if thats the case tomtom should be good because googlemaps are usually cosideded best but then as in the previous posts why are people havig problem with tomtom

Might be latest versions of tomtom ok

Poll results at time of post

TOMTOM 15 34.88%
    GARMIN 27 62.79%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 2.33%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Poll results at time of post

TOMTOM 15 34.88%
    GARMIN 27 62.79%
    NAVMAN 0 0%
    MOBILE SOFTWARES 1 2.33%
    Sony 0 0%
    Snooper 0 0%
    EBAY CHINESE NAVs 0 0%

The Poll Results are public. You just need to vote, or click the view poll results link to view them.

Somepeople complained that they cant see , like T-square you will see that in start of post

So i started to put them on board

Its a help for everyone

testicle wrote: »
    The Poll Results are public. You just need to vote, or click the view poll results link to view them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Somepeople complained that they cant see , like T-square you will see that in start of post

All he has to do is to click the View Poll Results link at the bottom of the Poll. Like you will see in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Mobile software folks ............... I use Co-pilot which can be used on mobile phones or pda's. I've used all the main ones including Tomtom, Garmin, Destinator, Route 66, etc etc. Co-pilot has excellent mapping for Ireland and the interface is also excellent check out http://www.alk.eu.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Ive used Tom Tom and Garmin before my Route 66 and the Tom Tom was crap, I like the Route 66 because its very simple to use and even though I dont have the latest maps its still good. Only problem is a software issue where it freezes and turns off, cant find the reciepy so im stuck with it.... Why cant I vote for Route 66 ?

• Advertisement

Thanks that what I used I London , worked best but no one else somehow ever talked about these in Ireland.

How is your experiece on percison and are the maps upto date

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Mobile software folks ............... I use Co-pilot which can be used on mobile phones or pda's. I've used all the main ones including Tomtom, Garmin, Destinator, Route 66, etc etc. Co-pilot has excellent mapping for Ireland and the interface is also excellent check out http://www.alk.eu.com/

Advertisement